Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

Options

Comments

• K80jj
    Options
    I received my 2x £80 compensation vouchers last week and tried to use them yesterday, 1st October, the first day possible. Everything seemed fine with the booking, until I checked my bank and found they'd charged me the full price. When I got back to wifi today I found the confirmation in the app showed the vouchers being applied and then removed!
    Tried the call centre, just kept getting cut off, five attempts at web chat later and a 17 minute wait but they couldn't help either.
    Sent in an online complaint form and asked to be reimbursed the £160. I wouldn't have booked the flights at all if I hadn't thought I'd get the flights basically half price with the vouchers.
    I'm now also considering a claim for the extra cost (£60) involved in the return flight in December I had to book with Brussels air, after Ryanair cancelled. I accepted the cancellation refund as I assumed it was the easiest option.
  • Leothecat
    Leothecat Posts: 1,492 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, can anyone clarify something?
    I'm on live chat now.....all Belfast - London flights cancelled for November.
    I've asked to be rebooked on an Easyjet flight but am being told I have to do this myself then claim for any extra charges retrospectively. The original flights were approx. £80, the Easyjet flights will be approx. £259. Ryanair are saying this is too much and they will only cover 3 x the original cost.
    I know its not much of a difference but I'd just like to know whats correct.
    Many thanks for any help.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ryanair "no more than 3x the original amount" is unfounded.
    As fas as any of us are aware, this has no basis in law or the regualtions.
    Perhaps contact the CAA for advice. Ryanair are already being lambasted by the CAA, unfortunately the Monarch debacle has averted their eyes and attention.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    Ryanair "no more than 3x the original amount" is unfounded.
    As fas as any of us are aware, this has no basis in law or the regulations..
    It is all a question of what is reasonable having regard to all the circumstances
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agreed, but the point is nobody has decided/established what is reasonable. Ryanair have apparently decided for us?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ultimately it would be a matter for the Judge
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think this "x3 cap is neither justified or based on any reasonable interpretation of the Regs. A Ryanair flight booked early will cost not a lot - an alternative booked late will be expensive. Personally I'd book the flight, take the £240, then complain to the CAA (and the media, who've been following this debacle).
  • mama5405
    mama5405 Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2017 at 1:25PM
    Options
    Hallo,

I was notified by Ryanair of flight cancellation 8 days before flight departure, no reason was given.

Original cancelled flight Milan/Bergamo FR4197 to Stansted
    departing on 26 September at 18.30 arriving 19.40.

I booked alternative Ryanair flight on same day
    departing at 14.25 arriving 15.35, this flight arrived early, because the flight does not normally take 2 hours and 10 minutes, it takes less then 2 hours, but this is beside the point.

So my alternative flight arrived over 4 hours before my original cancelled flight.

Am I entitled to compensation?

Thanks for your help.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mama5405 wrote: »
    Hallo,

I was notified by Ryanair of flight cancellation 8 days before flight departure, no reason was given.

Original cancelled flight Milan/Bergamo FR4197 to Stansted
    departing on 26 September at 18.30 arriving 19.40.

I booked alternative Ryanair flight on same day
    departing at 14.25 arriving 15.35, this flight arrived early, because the flight does not normally take 2 hours and 10 minutes, it takes less then 2 hours, but this is beside the point.

So my alternative flight arrived over 4 hours before my original cancelled flight.

Am I entitled to compensation?

Thanks for your help.

Hi mama5405,

This is what the reg says....

(ii) they are informed of the cancellation between two weeks and seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than two hours before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than four hours after the scheduled time of arrival; or

So yes, Google and then download 'Vaubans Guide' for details and link to the regs.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi everyone, you might also like to read our Ryanair wrongly denies passenger compensation for cancelled flight news story
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing