Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 November 2016 at 9:18PM
    Options
    The price going up after your offer ends isn't a surprise. It always happens.

For tv, you have to cancel, be cut off and have patience. I have Boxed Sets and Cinema for £68 a year, after being off for four weeks.

Before the combination price rip-off, they were offering very little on phone/broadband; just free broadband, so I left for PlusNet and regret the move, as the ADSL is very inferior to Sky's. I was told the poor offer was because there was a concentration on tv and the good offer seems to support this.

You can't have broadband and no phone line, unless you have cable or mobile, as the internet needs a means of getting to you .It's constant grumbles about not wanting to pay for 'unused' phone or that advertising cheap/free broadband and requiring line rental is misleading ,that has lead to the new combined prices, which have been a good excuse to raise prices considerably.
  • kylestucon
    Options
    Been out of contract ten months spoke with sky chat and got 75% off full package and£100 credit sports and cinema without hd £18.50 tried to get free line rental/discount on fibre and sky 2tb with mini box but nothing offered any tips anyone???
  • teddysmum
    Options
    kylestucon wrote: »
    Been out of contract ten months spoke with sky chat and got 75% off full package and£100 credit sports and cinema without hd £18.50 tried to get free line rental/discount on fibre and sky 2tb with mini box but nothing offered any tips anyone???

I got and took the same offer, last week, but left after no joy with phone etc. (just free ADSL, before the new pricing) I was told that they were concentring on tv, which the 75% offer seems to support.

They won't offer the 2tb box, as all new customers are being offered Q . They are probably keeping the Sky+ boxes for repair callouts.
  • Mrs_Hainsworth
    Mrs_Hainsworth Posts: 45 Forumite
    edited 26 November 2016 at 7:56PM
    Options
    Hmmm.... thought I was doing well with my Sky deal before I read this thread!

We were paying £79.90pm (box sets + SkyF1HD/unlimited broadband/phone with Sky go plus and McAfee) having been with Sky for 5 years. Dropped the F1, Sky go plus and McAfee and got 20% off TV and 50% off broadband for 10 months so new price is £51.34 (saving around £316 per year).

This basically gives us what we want (as we do watch a lot of things that are only on Sky) but I'm now wondering, seeing as we have a cooling off period, whether I phone them up again and see if they will offer a better discount.

Update: Went on the live chat and got offered 40% off TV so that's an improvement.
    Loan - £12702.19 Credit cards - £4150.88 Overdraft - £0

Starting 2017's debt free resolution early
  • teddysmum
    Options
    Hmmm.... thought I was doing well with my Sky deal before I read this thread!

We were paying £79.90pm (box sets + SkyF1HD/unlimited broadband/phone with Sky go plus and McAfee) having been with Sky for 5 years. Dropped the F1, Sky go plus and McAfee and got 20% off TV and 50% off broadband for 10 months so new price is £51.34 (saving around £316 per year).

This basically gives us what we want (as we do watch a lot of things that are only on Sky) but I'm now wondering, seeing as we have a cooling off period, whether I phone them up again and see if they will offer a better discount.
    There is a cooling off period for new customers but not usually for continuing customers (ie those taking a new deal). I was surprised to be offered one on returning after just 4 weeks, but won't need it with such a low price (effectively £5.67/month for boxed sets, cinema and hd )
  • spy
    spy Posts: 46 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is there any trick to being offered the 75% off and £100 credit? The best I have been offered is 60% off variety, sports and cinema, 50% off HD and a £50 credit :(
  • Liberty1577
    Options
    spy wrote: »
    Is there any trick to being offered the 75% off and £100 credit? The best I have been offered is 60% off variety, sports and cinema, 50% off HD and a £50 credit :(

No trick to it. Just wait until the day after your tv goes off, then go on live chat and tell them you want 75% plus £100 credit.
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    So now having moved into our new house and looking at Sky, i can report the following.

The package I wanted came in at £77 online,
    Box Sets,
    2TB Box
    2 x Mini Q Boxes.
    Phone and (ADSL) broadband (no fibre in this area yet).
    The above has a free 4K TV listed as well.

I called up and got the above (minus the 4K TV) at £46 and £114 initial fee (Install, delivery, additional Q Box).

Does that sound a decent enough deal?

Note that the CS did look to see if I could get Virgin TV/Broadband at the new postcode!

Phone and BB been activated 7 days after the call, Sky TV Install booked the day after that.
  • rrobbo
    rrobbo Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Been with Sky for over 10 years and called to say that we weren't getting a signal on a number of channels. Was told it would be £75 for somebody to come out and look at it. I said that I already thought that £68 a month (multi-room & Movies) was already a bit steep and I wanted to cancel.

Was put through to another department and eventually was offered a free fix but it would be 6 weeks before they could do it. I decided to cancel anyway and they raised the option of Sky Q so I looked at the website to see some details and saw the latest offers. The best offer they'd give was a reduction on the installation of the second box with a full £99 to install a third box if we wanted it (given that the additional boxes are wireless I'm not sure just how much installation is involved!!). They wouldn't budge so I cancelled.

Yesterday (5 days after cancelling) I got a call offering a 60% discount for a 12 month contract but without them fixing the connection. They then offered a 40% discount with a free call-out. I said that I wasn't happy with locking in for 12 months with a box that kept breaking down. When I asked for a deal on a new box they said that they weren't allowed to offer new boxes and I'd have to wait until I qualified as a new customer again in order to get one.

I'm now on the trial for Amazon Prime and I've just ordered a Fire Stick and will look for a decent PVR for the broadcast channels. Sky may end up saving me even more money than I thought - I may just need to tweak my viewing habits a bit. I'd normally be careful with most costs but it was easy to let Sky build up to over £800 a year.
  • tonymcp86
    Options
    Hi all

So i cancelled with Sky on 9th November, and as yet have heard nothing from them.
    Is there a period of time i should wait before contacting them?

I'm fearful of getting to 9th December and losing everything on my planner.

Does anyone have any advice at all?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure