Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• Liberty1577
    Options
    tonymcp86 wrote: »
    Hi all

So i cancelled with Sky on 9th November, and as yet have heard nothing from them.
    Is there a period of time i should wait before contacting them?

I'm fearful of getting to 9th December and losing everything on my planner.

Does anyone have any advice at all?

Don't worry you don't lose everything on your planner, even if you get cut off. You just can't view it while you're cut off. Once you rejoin you can view it again. Wait until the day after you get cut off, then go on live chat and ask what deals they have if you rejoin. Then tell them you want 75% off with £100 credit and a rolling contract.
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm on a rolling contract 50% off and £100 credit and still has around 4 months left to go. I'm happy with the deal but toying around with the idea of getting rid of sky altogether and pay for Netflix and use BBC iplayer on the smart tv for all programme catchups.

There is the cost of installing a digital aerial on the roof (roughly £200) and on the face of it all this seems a good deal and much cheaper than sky.

Most if not all programmes we record are on the BBC so can catch up via iplayer.
    I'm watching Netflix shows more and more so this seems like a no braoner.

The only thing I can see myself missing is Game Of Thrones on Sky Atlantic and the odd bit of sky sports I watch.

Just wondered if anyone else has done something similar (or got an alternative to sky) and how did it work out in the long term?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 December 2016 at 6:16PM
    Options
    shaggy wrote: »
    I'm on a rolling contract 50% off and £100 credit and still has around 4 months left to go. I'm happy with the deal but toying around with the idea of getting rid of sky altogether and pay for Netflix and use BBC iplayer on the smart tv for all programme catchups.

There is the cost of installing a digital aerial on the roof (roughly £200) and on the face of it all this seems a good deal and much cheaper than sky.

Most if not all programmes we record are on the BBC so can catch up via iplayer.
    I'm watching Netflix shows more and more so this seems like a no braoner.

The only thing I can see myself missing is Game Of Thrones on Sky Atlantic and the odd bit of sky sports I watch.

Just wondered if anyone else has done something similar (or got an alternative to sky) and how did it work out in the long term?
    I cancelled and got the Humax out, but catchup on the tv sufficed at the time (so it never was set up) and then Sky made an offer too good to refuse.

I have Boxed Sets and Cinema for less than I was paying for Original, so am happy exploring films, at the moment. (The novelty will wear off and, failing a good deal in 11 months time, I'd be quite happy with catchup via tv and the Humax for recording)
  • dharle
    dharle Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I cancelled my Sky TV subscription (just the basic package) on 15 November via live chat. I already had a 33% off discount (good for five years) and was only offered free movies. [I also have broadband and phone with them too].

I haven't heard anything from Sky since then. There are no offers in the relevant section on the website. I did install the app that comes up with a retention deal of 50% if I stay for the next 12 months. However, when I click on the T&Cs it says that offer ends on 29 September 2016!

I can live without Sky TV but I'm a little bit surprised that I haven't heard anything (all the marketing preferences are correct). Do you guys think I will have to actually go ahead with the cancellation to secure a better deal?
  • benjymous
    Options
    I too went the "leap of faith" route a week ago, after only being offered slim discounts when cancelling. Yesterday I got a call from Sky (01332 387201) - "Aha, here comes the discount offer" I thought, but the guy just asked my reasons for leaving (lacklustre broadband, and a far better value deal being offered by BT including fibreoptic BB, I replied). The guy just thanked me, and wished me a good day.

Should I wait longer (or even wait till it actually disconnects?) or is there a faster option - The suspense is killing me!
  • Liberty1577
    Options
    Ok so my tv went off yesterday. I couldn't get on live chat last night but manage it this morning. Chatted to a lovely lady who asked if I'd had an offer. I said my friend had been given 75% off for 12 months with £100 credit on a rolling contract and I wanted the same. No fuss, no hassle she said as long as I don't want new equipment that was fine. Even added HD at a 60% discount. I pushed for 75% on HD too but she said it wasn't available but she would credit me the extra £10.80 which would make it 75% over 12 months. So all in all I've got the complete package (box sets, sports, cinema, HD) for £20pm with £100 credit on a rolling contract. I'm happy with that!

See my quoted text re TV. Best offer prior to disconnect was 60% off and new 12 month contract. So if it's tv I'd let it disconnect then renegotiate.

However if you're asking about phone/broadband I would not let it disconnect. From what I understand it's not as simple to reconnect and incurs a cost. Personally I rang the broadband retention team prior to cut off and asked for a deal. I got free line rental after turning down the first few offers. Though that was a while ago, I'm not sure what the current offers are.
  • tonymcp86
    Options
    Ok so I've rang sky as i'm 3 days out from my TV going off.
    They've offered me 20% off!!!! REALLY?

I've asked what happens on the 9th, and she said everything from the planner will be removed etc? Is this correct? As i've still got 20 episodes of Australian Masterchef that the wife will kill me over if they go missing!
  • dharle
    dharle Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Keep us posted as to what happens should you go ahead with the cancellation in 3 days time!
  • wazza99
    wazza99 Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    23 days since cancellation notice, only contact since 60% off via my services, was a letter in the post offering...60 % off !

We sit and wait...
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tonymcp86 wrote: »
    Ok so I've rang sky as i'm 3 days out from my TV going off.
    They've offered me 20% off!!!! REALLY?

I've asked what happens on the 9th, and she said everything from the planner will be removed etc? Is this correct? As i've still got 20 episodes of Australian Masterchef that the wife will kill me over if they go missing!

The episodes will still be on the hard drive,but you won't be able to access them without a live Sky subscription.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback