3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge!!

Options

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All....I'm so sorry that it's taken a little while for me to Update....I've been moving into my New Flat all Weekend and that has taken up most of my time.....I'm in and sort-of settled...still lots of unpacking to do....

Glad the move went well, I hope the unpacking doesn't take too long for you, although it's nice to go through everything for a sort out occasionally and a home move certainly gives you that opportunity. ;)
    Dobbibill ..... thank you for the support in my absence hun, I really appreciate that and appreciate you letting people know that I'll be along soon....I hope you are well this fine morning.... ;)

It's a pleasure, I knew you would reiterate what I said as you make everyone welcome to the thread. Team work and all that :D
    what I have noticed is that this team seem to be up very early this morning. I hope everyone is well and having a good relationship with their alarm clock :rotfl:

DB
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Thanks for letting me hop on board :D and I'm pleased the move went well. I hope it hasn't been too stressful for you all in all. I have a massive plastic jar that once held 3kg of sweets that I've been hanging onto, just in case - so that is about to become my savings pot. As I say, it will be a long while before I get anything approaching what I need, but I need to start somewhere. I work in a school and usually manage to womble a few pence every day, which I will put in there. It will all add up.
  • DreamerHelen
    Options
    Well LittleMissDetermined it sounds lovely to me!! I hope you have a WONDERFUL time....when are you going? I'm currently saving up for a Trip to the USA for 5 weeks in the same Year as my 40th Birthday.....it's not until 2018 but will take me that long to save up for something that big!! ;)

Morning Dobbibill you are such a sweetheart....thank you again. And I'm almost always up early working as I have a Job that I do from home as well as trying to set up a new Business....so that's my excuse... :D

Hey Crazy_cat_Lady .... You are more than welcome. Yes, my Jar is HUGE!! It sounds like yours is too....Just a quick word although I'm sure you've thought of this - Please make sure that your Jar is nice and safe so no one takes all this money that you're working hard for ;)

I hope you all have a wonderful Day xXx :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 26 October 2015 at 12:27PM
    Options
    Hi Helen:hello:. Happy new flat:beer:

After seeing you over on patmans Emergency Fund thread and threatening to join you, here I am at last. Sorry it's taken me so long but I was/ still am in two minds about whether I qualify for the challenge:o

My income is in the form of 2 smallish pensions which pretty much stay the same year on year except for an insulting yearly increase of a few pence per week. So I'm not worried about losing my job and all the misery that involves as the pensions have been hard-earned when I was working and are permanent:j. I also do whatever I can to earn/make a bit extra but living in a very rural place my opportunities are a bit limited as far as 'real' jobs goes:(

Being on a DMP a lot of my income is spoken for and will be until 2019:eek: and I have very little room for manoeuvre on the savings front.

From my sig it looks as if I have made loads of extra money this year:rotfl: but really it is all the same money. What extra I make in whatever way I can is listed in my Make £10 a Day Challenge. If it's from items sold rather than from other means the same money is then also listed in my Sell £1500 challenge total. If I've managed to save any of it (rather than use it to eke out my living expenses after painting myself into too tight a corner with my DMP budget:o) it's also listed in my £1000 Emergency Fund challenge total. Sorry if I've confused anyone. Just wanted to explain that I'm usually seriously strapped for any money to save.

I shall really need a 'new' car in the not too distant future as car expenses have been the major source of my money woes this year:(. I shall be keeping on with patman's Emergency Fund Challenge as that is for any of life's emergencies that I need to lay my hands on money quickly for such as vet's bills, the money-pit of having an old car, problems with old laptop and other necessary technology, new spectacles etc etc. I haven't any savings otherwise.

I would like to set up a designated 'new' car fund of about £3000 maximum and thought Helen's challenge might fit the bill. When my current old heap finally gives up the ghost its trade-in/resale value will be just the scrap value so I'll be starting from scratch.

If anyone is still awake after all this lot please could you let me know if I'm eligible to join? I won't be doing the Sell £1500 challenge next year but will be plodding on with my Make £10 a Day as it is very motivating and great fun too.
  • Sue-UU
    Sue-UU Posts: 9,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sue-UU .... what a lovely pleasure to have you on this Thread and thank you for your Support hun, I really appreciate that!! With regards to the Terramundi....yesterday I went to Ikea to buy some new Storage for the Flat and saw a MAHOOOOSIVE Glass Jar and it wasn't expensive....about a fifth of what a Terramundi would have cost...so I bought that and shall use that for this Challenge....How's that for moneysaving? :D Hope you are well....

Hi Helen, I'm so pleased I noticed your thread yesterday, I was only looking to see how far down my SPC reminder thread was and did it need bumping, and there you were! :grinheart No, I wasn't being nosy - as if, :eek: but I'm pleased I had a look and that you didn't go to the expense of a Terramundi. :j All the best with your jar (it sounds perfect), your budget and health too! You know where I am should you need me.

Sue xx
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 = £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48 17 = £871.52 18 = £800.00 19 = £851.022021=£820.26[/SizeGrand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 = £61.367.88!! 2015 = £52.852.06! 2016 = £52, 002.40!! 2017 = £50,456.23!! 2018 = £47, 815.88! 2019 = £38.538.37!!!! :j
  • stewby
    stewby Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 26 October 2015 at 1:16PM
    Options
    Good morning.
    :D

Congratulations on your new flat. I hope you have managed to get rid of all the packing boxes. I swear they seem to multiply once you have moved in.
    ;)

Have figured out all my finances and it looks like I will be able to save about £45 from my wages each month (starting from January).
    :)

Hiya stoplurking. Haven't heard from NSK in ages (her blog seems to have been deactivated). Last I heard she was ill, hope her journey has picked up again.
    Yep... the credit card journey is very almost over. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Next step is the mortgage overpayment and saving for an emergency fund (which will take about four years to reach £2,000 I think). I seem to have caught the money-bug.
    :o

edit: have a tendancy to nosey in pots and remove money for "treats". As a result I have a hidden savings account which I will pay into each month.
    Basically, my mortgage company gave me a bank account when I first got my mortgage. So, I am going to use it for my emergency fund.
    Mortgage: £0/£80,329.91
    Savings: £0/£6400
    :love:
  • stormpassing
    Options
    Hi all,

Just back from the bank and I've deposited my first £5. Not much but it is a start. The lovely lady at Coop bank set me up so that I can pay into my savings account directly online each week :D It means my savings book won't be updated immediately but I'll keep track in a note book and get my book updated intermittently when passing branch.

Good luck everyone who has joined.

I'm off to update my sig for this challenge.

SP x
  • LittleMissDetermined
    Options
    Well LittleMissDetermined it sounds lovely to me!! I hope you have a WONDERFUL time....when are you going? I'm currently saving up for a Trip to the USA for 5 weeks in the same Year as my 40th Birthday.....it's not until 2018 but will take me that long to save up for something that big!! ;)

'78 must have been a good year as I also turn the big 4-0 in 2018 :D Would like to do a big holiday to celebrate but there's 2 things... debt (obvs) and choosing a destination. Would like the Maldives but I think the hubster would get bored! :rotfl:

Hope the move is going well DreamerHelen and you've not lost any essentials in the packing/unpacking!

LMD x
    Life gets in the way...PADding is addictive...Saving's better than spending...
    2024 1p challenge #11 | Cash envelope challenge #01 | SPC #017
    Sealed pot 2024 £2551.68 | EF £1000/£1000 | Sabbatical £970/£3000 | Holiday spends £540 | General Saver £2422.48
  • DreamerHelen
    DreamerHelen Posts: 2,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    carbootcrazy .... as far as I'm concerned you qualify for the challenge as it's a necessity that you'll need in the future....So I've put you in the Members List on the First Post....Welcome!! :D

Sue-UU .... I could NEVER think you are being nosey hun so don't worry.....I'm really pleased with my Jar....just got to start filling it up now!! And thank you....I know where you are and shall shout if I need you hun xXx

Stewby ..... I know what you mean....I didn't think I could possibly have this many Boxes to unpack!! It's ridiculous!!! LoL...Also, I used to follow NSK's Threads but haven't seen her around for AGES...I hope she's okay....

stormpassing .... well done on your first deposit, that's great news!! I shall go and update the front page in a second....

LittleMissDetermined .... Aaaaahhhhhh '78 was indeed a grand old year!! :D Hmmmm, what about a Cruise of the Caribbean Islands or something? Would that appeal to you? That way you can see all the Islands and Hubby might not get bored - I have no idea if the Maldives are in the Caribbean by the way...LoL...it was just an idea I had... :D

Am feeling the strain of early mornings and lots of lifting....My back is absolutely killing me right now and I would almost kill for a bubblegum flavoured milkshake....but since I was diagnosed as Diabetic last Week I don't think it's a very good idea!! I am taking this healthy-eating and saving very seriously...as well as paying off all my Debts of course!! xXx :)
  • stormpassing
    Options
    '78 must have been a good year as I also turn the big 4-0 in 2018 :D Would like to do a big holiday to celebrate but there's 2 things... debt (obvs) and choosing a destination. Would like the Maldives but I think the hubster would get bored! :rotfl:

Hope the move is going well DreamerHelen and you've not lost any essentials in the packing/unpacking!

LMD x

I also turn 40 in 2018, what a coincidence :rotfl:

SP x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills