Excessively High Broadband Usage with BT

Options
Smiling_Crow
Smiling_Crow Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 29 May 2012 at 9:49PM in Broadband & internet access
Hi all - wanted to know if anyone else on here has an issue with suspiciously high Broadband usage according to the BT monitor. Right now, I really regret switching to BT from TalkTalk. Had no problems with TT at all, though sometimes streaming tv could be a bit slow on occasion. That was my only issue though.

Initially I joined with the 10 GB option, and apparently managed to use 7.5 GB in three days... so I went from the 10GB plan to the 40 GB one.. and the usage is still ridiculously high - according to BT. Tied myself into an 18 month contract in the process too :( I had a 40 GB usage plan with TalkTalk and never went over, didn't even need to monitor it because it was a complete non-issue. After two weeks with BT and NO CHANGE in usage habits whatsoever (except for being gone for two days so usage should be less if anything) I've apparently used over 33 GB of my allowance. Me? Suspicious? YES! Have complained via email twice, no reply. Phoned the nice customer service peoples (re tech faults with broadband) and talked in length - will need to phone billing it seems. They have twice asked if someone might be hacking into my wi-fi account... I think not... that's just too big of a coincidence - change to BT and get hacked the same day.

I KNOW this is a BT issue, the ONLY thing that has changed is that I've joined them and am using their hub... on their forums there are numerous complaints from people experiencing the same excessively (suspiciously) high usage according to BT.

I'm hoping this will either be finally resolved, or I can break the contract on the grounds of utterly unsatisfactory and faulty service. If anyone else had this problem, I'd be very interested to hear about it, and how/if the issue was resolved.

Also, if anyone has any tips on how to deal with an unhelpful corporate giant - especially legal ways to leave them, I'd be jolly grateful.
Thanks!

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 May 2012 at 10:23PM
    Options
    Your hub has a running total of your usage..
    http://192.168.1.254/
    A rough and ready estimate would be to switch off your router, this will reset the count to zero, then check again 24 hrs later, if the 24 hrs are typical of your normal usage, then x 30 will give an idea of your monthly usage ( data thats actually passing through your router) dont forget to count the download and upload figure
    It could be genuine usage if you watch TV on line, perhaps although TT had a quoted usage limit, they didnt enforce it,
    I have BT but unlimited usage and dont watch a lot of TV on line, a few TV programmes/month..but various devices connect, PC's, PS3, Ipad, Iphones etc..and use over 40Gb/month, so I can see how ordinary usage could easily exceed 40Gb's
  • Smiling_Crow
    Options
    I will certainly look into doing that. Reading the many complaints by other users though (on the BT Forums and just found another thread on here) it seems to be a running and glaring issue with BT. They really do seem to be operating some kind of scam... even if it's just to force customers to upgrade to unlimited usage!
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Op what else is connected to the wifi, your iphone? ps3 or xbox? ... do you watch youtube
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Smiling_Crow
    Options
    Only two computers and an iPhone... but the point is that I've been with TalkTalk for a long time, and on their 40 GB package for almost a year with no issues - and I have talked to TT - they DO enforce the limit. The ONLY thing that has changed in all that time, is signing up to BT... so it's down to them, I believe...
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    It really depends what you are doing on-line-as the previous poster said anything like youtube, watching TV on line (basic rule -if it moves it eats bandwidth). It may simply be TT weren't as hot at enforcing usage limits as BT are (I work for a large IP and I know they didn't bother with it unduely for quite a while -and when they did get around to it there were a lot of people affected).
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Smiling Crow

I have just seen your post and would like to look into this for you, if you checkout my profile section you will be able to find my contact details.

Regards David
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is your wireless security secure?. What encryption are you using? Could someone have hacked your password? Have you tried changing it?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • dickyfisk
    Options
    Hi Smiling Crow

I have just seen your post and would like to look into this for you, if you checkout my profile section you will be able to find my contact details.

Regards David

Can I send you my details as well...?

I have the same problem... nothing has changed in my use of the internet but my bill shows an increase of use that is inexplicable and BT now expect me to pay a small fortune.

I have a 40gb allowance...

February +5gb, March +30gb, April +50gb, May +60gb for a grand total of £145!!

I don't use P2P, Skype, download... so what is going on?:mad:
  • home_alone
    home_alone Posts: 755 Forumite
    Options
    I have been with BT for about 19 months and was quite pleased with it I have anytime calls, line rental and 10gb broadband. I am not a heavy user and so far my usage has been around the 2/3gb a month but have received e mails in the last 2 months stating that my usage was 7gb both urging me to upgrade I now am getting BT e mails giving details of other packages. The strange thing is I have networx which gives me usage figures nowhere near those of BT, is BT trying to scare me into taking on an upgrade I do not want?
  • BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi dickyfisk,

Yes you can send us over your details too. You'll find the contact info in my profile and when we receive your details we'll take it from there.

Best wishes,

Robbie
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure