Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• WPC123
    WPC123 Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    mollypaddy wrote: »
    hello i was delayed over 7 hours in may 2011 on a monach flight from manchester to faro i did write to them on return they said i had no claim it was staff problems can i claim thanks

Question should be listed on the Monarch thread.
  • WPC123
    Options
    Seeking people's thoughts (legal comment really appreciated) where there was a 26 hour delay to a flight BUT I have proof that the repaired plane was actually released by the repairing engineer after 20 hours. I have an idea why the airline did not advise passengers the flight/plane was ready and I will probably make a claim on the basis of the 26 hour delay but I just wondered if the airline had contravened any other regulations by 'holding' back the plane by the 6 hours.
  • Ich_2
    Ich_2 Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Options
    Probably not as once released they would have had to arrange crewing, flight plans, ATC slots, fuelling, airport stands and handling to name a few.
    Unfortunately it isn't like a car, all the above has to be in place prior to departure
  • WPC123
    Options
    Ich wrote: »
    Probably not as once released they would have had to arrange crewing, flight plans, ATC slots, fuelling, airport stands and handling to name a few.
    Unfortunately it isn't like a car, all the above has to be in place prior to departure

I know crew were available and ready but obviously don't know if flight plans lodged etc however having suffered a 20 hours delay it was galling to be subjected to a further 6 hours delay when the plane was 'ready' as in effect this aspect is twice the 3 hour provision under 261/2004.
  • Ich_2
    Ich_2 Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Options
    3 hour provision under 261/2004.
    The time provision varies depending upon the distance of the flight
  • kimblemimble
    Options
    hi

i was delayed a few years ago coming back from lanzarote but cannot remember the flight details. all i know is that it was on 3rd November (as it was my dad's birthday), between 2007 and 2011, and the flight was either monarch or thomson. we were delayed as the plane had a random inspection and one bulb had blown on the wing and wasn't allowed to take off without being replaced, there were no spares so we had to wait for one to be flown in!

Is there anywhere that i can find out these flight details as i am struggling to remember and am not having any luck with online searches.

any help and advice will be very much appreciated.

many thanks

kim
  • skids12
    skids12 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    sorry , it was last year and it was the 2nd april ( it didn't get any media attention ) .When I notified travel republic ( who I booked the flights threw ) they didn't even know there had been a strike ? anyway I phoned flybe and none of their flights had been disrupted including Spanish and French , which I don't understand ???? someone suggested that some of the other airlines paid a levvy ?
  • WPC123
    edited 30 March 2013 at 9:30AM
    Options
    Ich wrote: »
    The time provision varies depending upon the distance of the flight

ICH I realise that but that is not my question. My question is should I accept a further six hour delay after I have been subjected to a 20 hour delay?
  • michdeb
    michdeb Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any help would be appreciated!
    My sister was on an Easyjet flight from the Uk to Cyprus earlier this year, in flight the plane developed engine problems (one failed, oxygen mask deployed, asked to brace on landing etc) and it was forced to an emergency landing in Brussels.
    A second plane was despatched which was also faulty on arrival so declared unsafe to fly, so a third was despatched. They finally left Brussels after 9 hours delay, and a staggering 9 euros 'compensation' to buy food etc at the airport.
    My sister is a rep in Cyprus so went into reassurance mode with passengers at Brussels, also using her personal mobile to contact families & Easyjet on behalf of passengers. A rep of Easyjet even advised that she advise what her bill was for the calls and they would look to refund.
    After contacting Easyjet to claim compensation, she was advised that the delay wasn't their fault!!!!!
    How on earth can they argue that-it's crazy????? :mad:
  • the_red_baron
    the_red_baron Posts: 136 Forumite
    edited 30 March 2013 at 4:42PM
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm also after help. I need to untangle what happened to me on thursday and figure out a plan of attack.

Booked flights from London LHR to Bari BRI (italy) through the KLM website. These flights were to be operated by Alitalia and were:

LHR-Milan Linate dep 0935 arr 1235
    Linate-Bari dep 1435 arr 1605

Thursday morning we got to the front of the queue at check in to be told that we had been overbooked and would be put on a later flight to get to our final destination. We went to the alitalia ticket desk where we were booked onto our new flights:

LHR-Rome dep 1220 arr 1600
    Rome-BRI dep 1725 arr 1830

The LHR-Rome flight was delayed in leaving, and with no-one to meet us at the gate in Rome (although other connections were met) we missed our connection and were booked onto a later flight to Bari:

Rome-BRI dep 2015 arr 2120

When we were given our boarding cards we were told that the flight would be leaving at 2100.

By this point we were a bit frazzled and I don't remember at what time we boarded, although I believe it was at least 2230 or later that we landed.

As I see it there are at least two elements to the claim:

1 - bumped off the first flight
    2 - delay of more than 6 hours in reaching our final destination

Its worth noting that we were given food vouchers in LHR and Rome, and Alitalia LHR customer services invited us to fill out a claim form and fax (fax!!!!) it to Alitalia offices in UK or Italy. The very helpful Customer Service Team Leader in Rome couldnt believe it and phoned london in front of us to tell them that there is an electronic form on their website.

I'm looking for any help and guidance really, but for starters:

1 - is my delay claim on a flight of more than or less than 1500km, ie is it a delay on my journey (approx 1600km), or just the actual flight that was delayed (approx 370km)?

2 - is there a website for historic dep and arr times? there must me but I can't find it.

3 - how much of this claim is going to be standard amounts and how much will be discretion/negotiation

Cheers for the help!!

Al
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport