Boyfriend disclosed he visited a prostitute in India one year before we got together

Options

Comments

• Confused5
    Options
    j.e.j. wrote: »
    That IS quite extreme. The sex was consensual.

This is the problem... was it though?

If I am very poor, working under a pimp, come from a low caste with no real way of changing my social & employment status - and I agree to sleep with a Westerner for £1, is that providing true consent?
  • mandi
    mandi Posts: 11,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    I would be more concerned what protection he used.

I think I would be more concerned that a new user Joins MSE on Christmas Eve with a controversial thread .. Just saying.
  • Confused5
    Options
    mandi wrote: »
    I think I would be more concerned that a new user Joins MSE on Christmas Eve with a controversial thread .. Just saying.

I'm not a new user, I'm anonymous to avoid everyone knowing my boyfriend slept with a prostitute.
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Confused5 wrote: »
    This is the problem... was it though?

If I am very poor, working under a pimp, come from a low caste with no real way of changing my social & employment status - and I agree to sleep with a Westerner for £1, is that providing true consent?

I see what you mean.

But I think geri was talking generally about prostitutes, not just this particular situation.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why did he tell you? Was it some kind of confession or was it just mentioned in general conversation?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Joanthebone
    Options
    The price he paid is not important, the fact that he is the sort of bloke to pay for sex would be the end of any sort of relationship with me.
  • trollopscarletwoman
    Options
    Tropez wrote: »
    Well to be fair, while the cost of living is indeed much cheaper in India than the UK, £1 is still a very low amount for this type of transaction.

If indeed someone paid an Indian prostitute £1 for sex, that woman has effectively sold her body for less than a pack of Marlboro cigarettes.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=India

A quid is indeed a very cheap transaction of bodily fluids. Hopefully nothing got either way. Surprised he didn't get charged more as a westerner. Mean with the tip, if you see what I mean!

Can't see him travelling to India with the primary intention of an alley trembler. Could have done that here.

Not my cup of tea but these things can happen. I'll leave moral judgements to others.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is your issue with the fact he paid for sex? Or that he paid so little for sex?

Personally if any partner of mine had paid for sex that would be a deal breaker for me. Its a level i wouldnt lower myself to if i was a guy.
  • Confused5
    Options
    Why did he tell you? Was it some kind of confession or was it just mentioned in general conversation?

He told me when he were lying in bed one day (!!) and he was discussing how me missed me in India as I was busy and not really replying to his emails/phone calls when he was pursuing me for a LDR back then. He said he was feeling very isolated. He said he hardly saw the same people every day, missed human comfort and wanted to remember what it was like to be with a woman.
  • mandi
    mandi Posts: 11,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Confused5 wrote: »
    I'm not a new user, I'm anonymous to avoid everyone knowing my boyfriend slept with a prostitute.

I apologise Confused . My Mistake .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport