The EU: IN or OUT?

Options

Comments

• Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    It is a point about cars, we have bought one VW this year and will buy another or an audi. I will buy a KIA so ..looking forwards to seeing what asian deals the UK can get.

But we tend to these days buy late model used, so not sure we'll help any of the economics of this.

I think we should look into a Commonwealth free trade association? Couldnt do one before the EU.

I am also looking forwards to the UK opening incandescent bulb factories Candle shaped 60W frosted please), and making higher power vacs again.

And destroy the planet whilst you are at it...

And as people keep referring to EU countries not wanting to make a deal because the UK is one of the biggest export market for them, well they could still sell to the UK with Tariffs, which means that the UK consumer will pay more for EU goods, but you are kidding yourself thinking that the middle / and higher class currently buying BMW/AUDI/Mercedes will stop buying them because of the 10-20 or even 30% increase due to tariffs.
    The same will be for French/Spanish/Italian food products.... If the consumer want brie, he/she will buy french brie, not a Chinese version because the politician made a great deal with that nation.
  • EnglishMohican
    Options
    And as people keep referring to EU countries not wanting to make a deal because the UK is one of the biggest export market for them, well they could still sell to the UK with Tariffs,

You are obviously correct but it works both ways. The EU will go on buying UK products albeit with a tariff attached so I am not sure what your point is.

In both cases the quantity of product bought is likely to be reduced and the balance of the reduction may differ and that may be good or bad in terms of our balance of payments.

And we prefer Somerset Brie in any case:)
  • blutto
    blutto Posts: 105 Forumite
    edited 28 June 2016 at 5:15PM
    Options
    Oh my god its laughable isn't it! :rotfl:

The Elite still in defiance ,have learn't nothing!

Today in the shithole of Brussels they laughed and jeered at old Farage but HE WAS SPOT ON WITH EVERYWORD UTTERED! I have never been a big fan of him or UKIP but good for you Farage, you KICKED them where it hurts ,True scum Schultz and Juncker or whatever the fcuk his name is! :T

He was Proved right and all the jeering ,PANICKING that the rest of Europe would see how useless and out of touch jobsworths /no-bodies they all are and who have never had proper jobs or created any except more bureaucracy ! :rotfl: Before the meeting of congress you could see the panick in their eyes as they were all gathering around in huddles worrying about their overpaid selves futures as the rest of Europe will hopefully follow soon and their all be on the dole!:beer:

Again at home Labour Elite do not get it either! The members of the party voted for Corbyn however dumb they were and that is the result of what they want representing their views! Once again the careerists politicians in Labour are after his job and platform as they know they will be in opposition for atleast another 10 years or so ! Why? If he remains most likely he will loose with his communistic views in 2020 or before in a snap election and it will not be to 2025 at the latest for their next leader!

Personally i hope he stays for 2 reasons.

1.He was the DEMOCRATICALLY elected choice by members.
    2 Helps keeps the Tories rule in the future!
    3.Stops elitists getting their way as bored being on the backbenchers and want power by any means!
    4.Elite just want what they want .
    5. If he runs again he will win and what then!
    On another note the Tory offerings today!

PLEASE not Cowardly Theresa May the Scarecrow! Oh my,that skinny frame looks like she just got out of the coffin!:eek:
    No,she was a coward in the referendum and back footed on her true belief of leave for remain purely as she was placing herself for the aftermath! She has always been a careerist first type and she has not been a good Home Secretary either! So i hope ,No-way!

I quite like the idea of Preeti Patel ,or Liam Fox! What about David Davis ,he can hold his own?

I am sure that George Osborne will be Foreign Secretary,the old incumbent turncoat in the job now will get the sack!:p

Maybe a woman chancellor? Maybe Theresa not Gove?
    Gove probably Deputy PM and head of Leave negotiation team! Maybe Gove will be Chancellor if Boris wins!

Home Secretary ,Hunt.
    Maybe new talent brought in for the lesser roles? Have to wait and see!

For Labour i feel Gisela Stuart should run as she was good in the debates and was more intouch with labour grassroutes than the like of Benn and his contemporaries ! Now as it seems there will be a leadership battle!
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You are obviously correct but it works both ways. The EU will go on buying UK products albeit with a tariff attached so I am not sure what your point is.

In both cases the quantity of product bought is likely to be reduced and the balance of the reduction may differ and that may be good or bad in terms of our balance of payments.

Well the uk will presumably lose protected designation of origin benefits. There'll be French pork pies, Italian Stilton, Spanish whisky, who knows where it will stop.
  • Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

that the net import is in favor of the EU...

and, as the UK automotive industry is virtually all foreign owned, they could easily move production to another EU country for all EU sales whilst retaining a minimal UK production for the local market, denting further the UK Export proportion...

I cannot believe how people do not see it... I do not expect all readers to be business savvy, but it should be clear to most what business could and would do in that scenario.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's like trying to explain that the cost of being in the EU is less 0.5% of GDP and that a so called saving of 350 million evaporates when the economy shrinks.

"Yes but we won't be paying it to the EU any more so we can spend it ourselves."
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    JohnRo wrote: »
    It's like trying to explain that the cost of being in the EU is less 0.5% of GDP and that a so called saving of 350 million evaporates when the economy shrinks.

"Yes but we won't be paying it to the EU any more so we can spend it ourselves."

Typical dumb quote from dumb leave voter who understands nothing. This is exactly why referendums are not a good idea.
  • Mr_Costcutter
    Options
    BucksLady wrote: »
    Nigel Farage has addressed an emegency meeting of the European Parliament

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4ZTuh52wXE

Goodness me, he didn't hold back, did he lol. I'm not a fan of Farage or Ukip, but do believe it was time for those MEPs to receive their wake up call. I expect they will be glad to be shot of him, but my feeling is that they've not heard the last of it yet.

I was quite annoyed to see our PM in the House yesterday. He looked as if he had won the lottery.

As for Corbyn - surely it's time for him to hang up his boots.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,627 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 June 2016 at 7:46PM
    Options
    that the net import is in favor of the EU...

and, as the UK automotive industry is virtually all foreign owned, they could easily move production to another EU country for all EU sales whilst retaining a minimal UK production for the local market, denting further the UK Export proportion...

I cannot believe how people do not see it... I do not expect all readers to be business savvy, but it should be clear to most what business could and would do in that scenario.

Nissan is owned by Renault, Mini by BMW, for example. It doesn't take a genius to see how quickly next model production would move elsewhere.
    JohnRo wrote: »

The most frustrating one I've seen was from someone who prior to the vote was posting many videos and links to Leave material. Now says "Stop posting EU stuff, I'm bored". Sums it all up really.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,627 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    blutto wrote: »
    Oh my god its laughable isn't it! :rotfl:

The Elite still in defiance ,have learn't nothing!

Today in the shithole of Brussels they laughed and jeered at old Farage but HE WAS SPOT ON WITH EVERYWORD UTTERED! I have never been a big fan of him or UKIP but good for you Farage, you KICKED them where it hurts ,True scum Schultz and Juncker or whatever the fcuk his name is! :T

I guess "spot on" are the words to use when you believe the validity of other claims made during the campaign such as the £350m cost.

Even what he said today was untrue. Just look at the UK members of the European parliament, I'm sure many of them would be rather upset to be told they'd never done a proper job.

But then Nigel did rank as 747 out of 751 for turning up and dealing with what he is paid to do. I'm amazed how anyone could be in spots 748-751 compared to his record.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure