Your partner doesn't drive, does it bother you?

Options

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If I got into my car right now, I could be in New York City in about an hour, door to door.

But in the same breath, I'd also have to drive for a good 15 minutes in any direction to even lay eyes upon public transport! It's just not feasible. You non-drivers would be up a creek round here!

My fil and his wife live in NYC and have a house outside the state for weekends. He doesn't drive at all, and she only learnt to drive as an older woman. My bil lives in the Midwest atm. He only learnt to drive last year, ( nearly forty).
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I do believe if you grew up in a car-centric household the attitude that driving is an essential skill is ingrained from an early age.

My Dad drove - my Mum didn't -and she only worked school hours term time so she was the one taking us places in school holidays. She moved to England at 19 and lived in Londonuntil she married and was very independent - She wouldn't have dreamed of staying home in the week waiting for Dad to be free at the weekends to drive us on days out when we could jump on buses or trains and explore London or go to the coast for the day etc unlike many of my friends who drove locally but wouldn't dream of driving non locally so the kids stayed home til Dad was there to be the driver. Yet they had the same transport choices we had.

I grew up seeing driving as one way of getting around but not the only way -and in some ways it gives me more freedom as I have more choices. If I'm going to say Manchester or Cardiff then rather than endure a long motorway drive then I'll sometimes opt for a cheap advanced purchase train ticket and relax with a book or movie on the train rather than drive . I arrive a lot less frazzled :) Doesn't mean I wouldn't drive it if it suited me better to do so but driving isn't the only way or the quickest way -But rejecting either always driving or never driving reduces choice -and I don't want to limit my choices.

I really don't understand why some posters are so anti choice in this matter. Why not take the best of both ?
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • barbarawright
    barbarawright Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Spirit wrote: »
    MY licence is suspended following a stroke last year. My husband of 31 years has taken time off work to take me to the myriad of appointments I now havee.We live in a village 3 miles from the nearest shop/dr etc, and there is no public transport.

my daughter and neighbours also offer transport for haidressing appts and sundry shopping. My friends come to visit or come over pick me up and we go out to lubnch or back to their homes. Delivering me back at the end of the day.

I would do the same if the tables were turned.

If you care about someone and you are treated respectfully in regard to providing transport I do not see it as a prolem. If you are taken for granted it would be galling. Other importantt life skills I lack are that I do not speak a second language, Play a musical instrument, I am rubbish at sports . I cant be the only person with a deficit in accomplishments. I am not sure why driving is a life skill of the prime order that would over-ride a loved ones other attributes

Good point. I'm willing to be that some people who insist on driving as a key life skill can't cook or do DIY or or other things that some people might think essential.

I can see that if you live in a rural area, driving is very useful. Though still not essential as clearly plenty of people do cope with out it. But in a city it really isn't a vital as devoted drivers think - I am amazed at friends who won't do stuff when there car is out of action even though it just means a 15 minute bus journey. And days out really don't have to mean a car as some people seem to think. Plus, with public transport - you can drink! :beer:
  • Delia_Cardei
    Options
    Frankly speaking, I can't drive either but I'm glad to learn and I can reach anywhere with public transport fortunately. Er.. a far cry to your topic, maybe u could encourage him to learn to drive gradually by playing 3D racing car game.
    Men talk of killing time, while time quietly kills them. :p
  • Petra_70
    Petra_70 Posts: 619 Forumite
    edited 22 July 2015 at 12:45PM
    Options
    I think if people are happy to plod on through life walking and cycling and getting buses and trains, or if they are someone who finds it hard to live without a car, then so what?

However I do think it is a good idea to at least learn how to drive, even if you don't have or don't want a car.

I think that people who are cool with having no car are the ones who are younger and have no kids, and probably have a chilled out life with not too many responsibilities, and perhaps live in a more populated place with good public transport links. (I guess they have to if they cannot drive.) However, if you have a busy lifestyle, a job, children, hobbies, and if you have children - they have hobbies and different groups they go to at funny times, and one of you in the family has awkward finishing times at work, (or awkward starting times,) then a car is essential.

As someone said earlier, not everyone is lucky enough to have a bus stop outside their house that takes them and every family member to every destination they need to get to in life at all times of the day and night, every day of the week. IMO, having to go everywhere by public transport is incredibly irksome, and time consuming, and sometimes very expensive if the whole family is going. But if that is what people prefer then good luck to them.

With people who need a car, It's not a matter of people being wet or soft or useless or car-dependant because they are lazy or whatever, it's an absolute necessity for many because of poor or average public transport links, awkward shift work, a very busy lifestyle, and clubs and hobby groups that finish late (I certainly would not have my daughter getting a bus home from the city to our house at 10 or 11 at night.)

And it's all very well saying that if you don't drive you can drink! Well that is true, but to say I am not going to learn to drive because that means I can drink, makes no sense. You can have a driving licence (and even a car!) and still get a taxi or bus back home after a night out. (Mind you who wants to be getting public transport back from a pub or club at 11 at night? Public transport is dire and infrequent at night.)

And as several people have highlighted, I would not want to have to be restricted to picking somewhere to live that is near shops and clubs and a train station etc, because I couldn't drive. Many places that are near train stations and near shops etc are not always the most desirable places to live.

Although I do respect people wanting to go by bus or cycle or walk, (and it is good exercise and better for the environment,) I still don't understand why people wouldn't at least want to learn to drive. You don't have to actually even get a car; just learn, and pass your test, because you never know when you will need to drive.

I have known many people in the past who never learned, and by 30-ish to middle age, they regretted it, as it became tiresome and awkward, not only for them, but for the people around them, like their partner, who had to do all the driving. In some cases, not only all the driving to every place they went together (near or far,; ) but also driving them to work, having to run the kids around, and having to run elderly parents and in-laws about. Also, as someone said earlier, several people I know ended up in a job that required driving, and even lost out on a job because they had no driving licence.

One woman my husband works with (she is 44,) cannot drive and refuses to learn, and the workplace moved location last year, and there is sparse public transport to it, as it's moved out into the sticks a little bit, and she works shifts where she starts at 7am sometimes, or finishes at 11pm. Every day, her husband has to bring her in for 7am, or come and fetch her home at 11pm. Not a week goes by when he doesn't complain about it. He has his own job (he does days : 9 to 5) and it's incredibly unfair on him.

By all means, don't have a car if you can live without one, but it seems a little crazy to not at least learn how to drive. There is a very high probability that you will need to drive one day.

And in response to what someone said earlier, I don't think learning a second language or being able to play the trumpet is as important a skill as driving.
  • pinpin
    pinpin Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    Sometimes I think about trying to learn again.
    Give myself 10 more attempts to pass.
    Will have to save a good few K first, though!
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Petra_70 wrote: »
    And in response to what someone said earlier, I don't think learning a second language or being able to play the trumpet is as important a skill as driving.

Doesn't that rather depend on your life style and circumstances? My husband has never, ever needed to drive for work, for example, ( when he works late his employers pay for a taxi or driver) but his language skills are extremely useful in his international job and his education was in two languages/ three countries. my sil, another non driver ( just starting job, and I agree its a life skill and have strongly encourage her for years) relies on her language skills entirely for her work.

It IS a life skill and I do agree its best to learn, because its also its also an attitude.

But it is also in many cases over relied upon. E.g. Lovely Spirit mentioned her shop is 'three miles away' , and obviously a recovering stoke victim cannot walk that alone, but its not at all far for some healthy, a good dog stroll each way. Combined with a supermarket delivery for 'big shopping' many could cope with basic provisions this way. Some people, for what ever reason, do have close to home lives.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    Yet it's not true of all of NJ
    I spent a few days in NJ and used the bus into Manhattan (in the snow :) ) on several days- it was a great service running from early morning til well past midnight.

(I'm not really sure what US driving has to do with the topic though and I'm sure Peter has seen Joisey Shore so is convinced you are surrounded by Chavs !!! :D Hope you are having a lovely visit though)

It's one hell of a big state! We are 8 miles from Princeton, in a real executive homes computer area. It's funny that there are streets, but all the houses are on huge plots., 'Macmansions'! ;)

The nearest bus to go into Princeton is a ten minutes drive. It's only twenty to drive there.

Actually we are going to New York tomorrow. DS will drop us At the station, 20 minutes away, then we'll get the train. An hour to the Big Apple! :T

I'd say it's impossible to cope here without driving unless you live in a city.

It's hard on the OP, as it's getting that way in the UK.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Wickedkitten
    Wickedkitten Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to absolutely love driving. Unfortunately I am damned near legally blind these days as a result of a degenerative eye condition so I can't. SO doesn't mind at all although it would be different if I could actually see and just chose not to drive.
    It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.
  • burnoutbabe
    burnoutbabe Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did learn to drive at 19, so I have a licence. I have not driven since (so roughly 20 years) so really learning was useless as I would never dream of getting into a car without another course of lessons, even if legally I could.

So not much point learning until you want to actually drive. Though at least my parents paid :D they'd not pay if i did it now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure