When should I stop buying presents for my friend's children?

Options
Former_MSE_Nick
Former_MSE_Nick Posts: 463 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
Since they were born I've always bought birthday gifts for my friend’s three daughters. So far I have always given them equal value presents but as the eldest is now over 18, I’m wondering how long I need to carry on buying them for her. I don't want to be mean or seem like I'm treating her unfairly, but part of me wants to draw a line for her now. How long should I be expected to keep buying presents for?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    You ask, "How long should I be expected to keep buying presents for?"

You aren't expected to buy presents for any set period of time, therefore the decision is up to you.

I would guess that the fact that you are asking the question suggests you want to stop, so stop now.
  • Anatidaephobia
    Options
    My mum and her friend still buy presents for each other's children.

My mum's friend's eldest is in her thirties now! Years ago, my mum had a conversation with her about stopping the presents since all of the kids were adults, but her friend wanted to continue so they're still doing it even now.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 25 March 2015 at 2:27AM
    Options
    Depends what relationship you have with them.
    How often you see them
    If they are still studying or are earning

The simple answer is "until you don't want to any more" though.

If you think eighteen is the cut off -you could buy her a token gift rather than a proper gift like her younger siblings still get if you do a "gift exchange" gathering each year for Christmas but otherwise just stop when you feel it is no longer something you want to do. A gift given unwillingly is no gift anyway.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • bagby
    bagby Posts: 828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    One of my friends children 30 this year is my godchild. I stopped buying him about seven years ago. Should have stopped when they were 18 really. I didn't see them so didn't know what they used or wanted. Friend was still buying mine, the youngest is just eighteen, she stopped buying him two years ago which is ok with me. She has just sent him some money for his eighteenth which was really nice of her and unexpected. Just explain you think it's a good time to stop after the big 18th birthday.
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I'd go for the 18th as well, x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    stop when they stop sending thank you cards
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Sunny_Saver
    Sunny_Saver Posts: 3,045 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    stop when they stop sending thank you cards

I agree, especially if the gift is only one way and they/their family do not Give you a gift.
    “It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • bagpussbear
    bagpussbear Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options
    It's not being mean to stop after they are 18, after all they are not a child any more.

Do whatever you feel comfortable with/can afford.

I buy for my closest friend's children, one of which is my godchild, however after she had child number 3, I simply cannot afford to spend £30 or so on each one. So they get a tenner/voucher each now and some choccies/sweets, and when the eldest is 18 (he is 16 now) I intend to stop. Although I intend to give him something special for his 21st, but that will be it.
  • BigBananaFeet
    Options
    I give up to their 18th birthday, also a 21st present. Both are good stopping ages, also 16, otherwise you'll be buying them presents forever!
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,518 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have an "agreement" within our families, that pressies for nephews and nieces stop @ 18 -so the same would apply for friends kids( if we had any under 25 of course !!)
    I'm now battling with my wife over pressies for our daughters and son in laws -they are all over 30 and she still wants to buy b'day and Xmas pressies -signed The Grinch:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure