Spill the beans... on how to minimise loo paper use

Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
Spill the beans... on how to minimise loo paper use
[IMGRIGHT]http://images.moneysavingexpert.com/images/spillthebeans2.gif[/IMGRIGHT]

Toilet roll's expensive, so using less saves money & the environment. So do you go up a brand for quality, stick with savers, or even use old-school style tracing paper type? And any special techniques for reducing the amount used?(warning not for the faint hearted).

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• Anja
    Anja Posts: 66
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Use paper and then a wet wipe. You'll find you're cleaner too!:embarasse:embarasse
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,535
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Go for the deals in the supermarket - compare prices per 100 sheets.

Generally take one sheet at a time and make maximum use of it within the realms of decency and hygiene.

Certainly don't go for the shiny tracing paper as there is absolutely no absorbency there!

I think the cheapest, thinnest brands also mean you can't maximise usage from the sheets and they tear easily, so a false economy to a certain degree.

Not sure about wet wipes - think they would block my plumbing (there's been quite a few posts on the DIY boards about drains being blocked by these).

Over to others ... !
  • I don't use anything but Triple Velvet which I've found to be superior to any other brand and lasts much longer.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    When you put a new roll on,' flatten' it slightly. This makes it harder for wasteful children to pull off several sheets at a time!
    Linda x
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Regulate your bowels so you go during working hours as much as is possible! ;)
  • I buy my toilet rolls from farmfoods....18 rolls for £4 and decent quality as well.

Always go before I leave work and if I have a wee then I I only use 2 sqaures.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852
    Forumite
    This is a bot bizarre. We have two rolls on the wall holder next to each other. We tend to use less because it is so noticeable against the other roll if you pull a lot off in one go.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123
    Forumite
    Nope. I use what I need and will only but triple velvet. It's the one thing I refuse to cut corners with :)
  • Well for one thing "spilling the beans" won't help you reduce usage if ya know what I mean! :rotfl:

I tend to leave the cardboard bit of the roll that has been used up by the loo so it's visible how many rolls have been used that week - seems to make you think about how much is being used so subconciously use less.

Have read about the flattening trick on the OS board before, tried it on my OH but he still seemed to use loads!
  • alyth
    alyth Posts: 2,671 Forumite
    some things should never be compromised on - at £2 for quilted velvet in a supermarket, I'll stick to that - what a bizarre money saving question to ask!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure