Cheaper Oil for Fuel?

Options

Comments

• angel_rainbow
    Options
    I'm hoping prices will go down soon - just got 500 litres for around £300 - as I went with Boilerjuice and the order was grouped I did get a fiver or so back. Lets hope the end of winter and milder weather will reduce the cost so I can top my tank up again!
  • fyr
    fyr Posts: 60 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you join an oil buying group, besides collating orders to secure group bulk price, in our case is extended to orders as low as 500L, which Boiler Juice won't do.

You can track historic buy prices here which may be of interest:
    http://www.mychieveley.co.uk/index.php?page=50
  • oil_buyer
    Options

The company I work for has a few properties that use fuel oil so some central supplier or cheaper source would be brilliant. Trouble is the areas are Cornwall, Gloucestershire & Oxfordshire so quite an area to cover.

i use watsons in south wales, i ring a local office but i know they've got them all over the place - may be worth a call. they're usually pretty helpful in cardiff.
  • nik0568
    nik0568 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do many of you use a bulk oil buying scheme ? There seem to be quite a few around - Oxford, Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Bucks, etc. Run by the Rural Community Councils (Charities). Worth a look.

Oxford RCC set up one of the first Bulk Oil buying groups & is very successful
  • HateLPG
    HateLPG Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    As my username would imply, I'm not exactly a regular in this neck of the woods, so apologies if these have already been posted (a quick scan suggests they haven't).

Firstly, there was an interesting piece about the benefits of community buying, especially for Domestic Heating Oil, in last Friday's Guardian - see How local groups can benefit from community buying;

The Guardian also carried an interesting piece in Monday's Data Blog, "The domestic energy use map of Britain". Sadly, I think the Off-Grid Methodology is questionable, but it's an interesting picture for all that!
  • HateLPG
    HateLPG Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure this will brighten many people's day today:
    OFT refers oil distribution merger to the Competition Commission

The OFT has today referred to the Competition Commission the completed acquisition by DCC Energy UK Limited, which operates GB Oils, of a number of businesses previously owned by Total Downstream UK plc, including the Total Butler oil distribution business.

4 April 2012
    The full press release can be found on the OFT website here

Perhaps not time to open the Bubbly just yet - ask any LPG user to find out just how slowly CC wheels grind - but certainly cause for optimisim :)
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 April 2012 at 3:44PM
    Options
    If the answer to the question is YES, MAYBE, or NO, please read on!

The OFT (Office for Fair Trading) has launched a

call for evidence on markets in remote communities across UK

It's up to you to decide if you live in a "remote community", but the OFT expects to hear from people in "UK islands communities, the Scottish Highlands, mid and West Wales, coastal and western Northern Ireland and in England, much of the South-West, the coastal parts of Lincolnshire and East Anglia and upland areas in Northumberland and Cumbria". They are also running workshops in 7 areas (Devon, Northumberland, Shetland, Highland, Gwynedd, Bridgend and County Tyrone).

One of the markets the OFT will be looking at is ENERGY.

Submissions by April 20 - that's just ONE WEEK AWAY

Several LPG users sent submissions to the OFT Off-grid energy study - and several have posted that they weren't impressed by how the report dealt with LPG, but there's been better news from the OFT recently on both oil and LPG (see here and here). This is another opportunity to tell the OFT about the problems experienced by all of us 'off-grid' and using LPG or oil.

More info here: http://www.oft.gov.uk/news-and-updates/press/2012/09-12
  • buckaroo
    buckaroo Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    I've just opened this thread on the first post and was shocked by how cheap oil was in 2007. The price of oil is outrageous.
  • werdnareklaw
    werdnareklaw Posts: 83 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2012 at 11:57AM
    Options
    buckaroo wrote: »
    I've just opened this thread on the first post and was shocked by how cheap oil was in 2007. The price of oil is outrageous.

In 1998 I was paying 9 pence/litre +VAT for 500 litres!!! My first experience of oil heating.

I could go on and say I remember paying £1 for 4 GALLONS of petrol :)
  • buckaroo
    buckaroo Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    In 1998 I was paying 9 pence/litre +VAT for 500 litres!!! My first experience of oil heating.

I could go on and say I remember paying £1 for 4 GALLONS of petrol :)

ahhh stop it, so depressing.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure