We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cheaper Oil for Fuel?

Options

Comments

• bladerunner73
    Options
    That seems quite alot I moved into a three storey four bedroom mill conversion in October, I have the heating on for less time than you but have about three times as many radiators and I checked and my tank is still half full, it was full when I moved in although I have to admit I'm not sure what the capacity of the tank is.
    2014 20p savers club #2 I've given up trying to keep track of how much that pig eats!
    2014 £2 savers club #3 - I've no idea, but the pig is beginning to get mighty heavy :eek:
    Sealed pot challenge No.7 #088
  • Smamfer
    Smamfer Posts: 2,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just had to do an order for oil
    I am with Anmer oils as these let me pay monthly and havent been badly priced in the time i have been using them, As i rent i never dare order too much which i know means i often pay a bit more but 500 litres just cost me 66p p/l.. 700 or 900 would have been 62p
    ~~Gonna Buy Me A Shrimp Farm Bubba~~
  • Putrenco
    Options
    Putrenco wrote: »
    Can anybody there help me to find out, roughly, how much oil in litres per month do I need for a small cottage in the country (Kent) with two bedrooms, 5 radiators, an old standard boiler and water heating. I am new to oil heating, no idea of costs, however, I am renting this property and in three months (Nov/Dec/Jan), according to the landlady I´ve used about 1000 litres. We have separate tanks, however, there are pipes connecting to the same boiler room as hers.

Well, the saga continues, the tanks (transparent pipe) show quite a low level, two plastic tanks of 1265 ltrs each connected, which they were nearly half when we moved in here, so I will have to order 1000 ltrs. more (apart from the 500 already put for last Xmas) to ensure we do not freeze. It definitely seems to be too much (5-6 ltrs per day is that possible), I spoke to a farmer nearby who uses about 2.500 ltrs per year for a large 4-5 bedroom detached farm house with 3 kids "using loads of hot water", plus heating and rayburn. Theoretically we should be using half as that or even less. So I will have to request the landlady for proof as dawnie72 suggested.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What proof are you going to get?

I'd be more interested in looking where each oil pipe goes.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • rosscouk
    rosscouk Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    You could easily be using that much, my stanley seems to be using over 100 litres a week at the moment and it is not used much. (heat 6am-7am, 5pm-10pm and 1 shower and washing up).

I am looking at changing.
  • ilikecookies
    Options
    5-6 litres per day seems very low to me :)

For comparison using a brand spanking new high efficiency oil condensing boiler (which is around 93-95% efficient) this winter we have used 1.5-2 litres per hour to heat our well-insulated but exposed 5-bed house. In summer this drops down to about 0.75-1.0 litre per hour.

When we were on LPG with the old Rayburn we were using more like 3-4 litres per hour.
  • 2J66
    2J66 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We stay in a 3 bedroomed detached bungalow with combi boiler & two people using the hot water etc. With nine radiators & 18.5 deg set on the thermostat we use about 1200 litres per year. The system uses next to nothing in summer - it's mainly directed at providing heating in autumn/winter. Heating is on for 1hr 45 in the morning & 6 hours evening in mid-winter, the latter reducing as the lighter nights appear.
  • RichardHowells
    Options
    In the recent cold spell we average about 15/16 litres per day. One year old modern condensing boiler, 4 bed, old, less than brilliantly insulated, AGA that I estimate sucks about 5-7 litres/day.
  • bobbiecool
    bobbiecool Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 10 February 2012 at 11:46AM
    Options
    Interesting to see how much everybody uses. It really does depend on a lot of factors. Boiler efficiency, how good the radiators are (VERY important!), detached or terraced house etc Let me give you an indication of our consumption.
    We live in a late Victorian house (part of a mansion house) with 12ft high ceilings downstairs, 10 ft high ceilings upstairs, 24 radiators. We have a 2yr old Worcester boiler, all of the rads are 2 yrs old also (Stelrad's). Heating is on for 1hr in the morning and 4hrs in the evening. Hot water is on for 1.5 hrs total. We currently use 250 ltrs over 2 weeks. That is nearly 18ltrs a day. I really don't think it is too bad considering the ceiling height and the single glazing windows (wooden frames). The house is warm and cosy which is great.
    In my opinion the quality of radiators is paramount in keeping litre consuption down and also the basics like not too high thermostat etc.
  • bernithebiker
    Options
    We used to use 20 to 40 litres of oil a day to heat a poorly insulated 8 bedroom French chateau, now we have coupled a 44kW log boiler, we only use 0 to 5 litres a day.

Not sure how 'quality' of radiators can keep your consumption down. I would only think that LARGER radiators allow you to run the boiler at lower temperatures thus improving efficiency slightly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure