We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cheaper Oil for Fuel?

Options

Comments

• kar999
    kar999 Posts: 706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 January 2012 at 11:53PM
    Options
    I finally ordered my 1000 litres on 30 Dec from a local supplier at 57.45p +vat which was the cheapest (I usually ring around 5 or so). I got next day delivery. The driver said he only had two drops that day!

As always Boilerjiuce were miles out of line at 10p a litre dearer for a similar express delivery and a couple of pence dearer for a 10 day slot which was no good to me as I'd be back at work.

Oil futures look like they're firming up......
    From SVSFX this morning.... Crude had the highest close in nearly 7 months above 103.00 as the tensions over Iran closing the Straits of Hormuz escalate.
    (103.22 at close today and Brent crude up 1.53%)

Also, unless the record warm weather continues we still have potentailly 3 months for a cold snap.
    If the ball had gone in the net it would have been a goal.
    If my Auntie had been a man she'd have been my Uncle.
  • bernithebiker
    Options
    kar999 wrote: »
    I finally ordered my 1000 litres on 30 Dec from a local supplier at 57.45p +vat which was the cheapest (I usually ring around 5 or so). I got next day delivery. The driver said he only had two drops that day!

As always Boilerjiuce were miles out of line at 10p a litre dearer for a similar express delivery and a couple of pence dearer for a 10 day slot which was no good to me as I'd be back at work.

Oil futures look like they're firming up......
    From SVSFX this morning.... Crude had the highest close in nearly 7 months above 103.00 as the tensions over Iran closing the Straits of Hormuz escalate.
    (103.22 at close today and Brent crude up 1.53%)

Also, unless the record warm weather continues we still have potentailly 3 months for a cold snap.

Yes, looks like it has been a good little window to top up any empty tanks. But will close pretty soon, if not already.

Although it's been very mild, 2 major events could push the price up;

1. The Iran situation; cuts off a major supplier, and could easily escalate if they try to shut the Straits of Hormuz.

2. Petroplus is going bust. They own 5 European refineries. 2 (1 in France, 1 in Switzerland) have just shut down, quite likely the other 3 will follow. Removing this much refining capacity on our doorstep, can only increase the product cracks (price difference between petrol, jet, heating oil etc, versus crude).

Once again, although most people think the price is purely weather and season related, there are plenty of other factors at work.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is borne out by prices today. Boilerjuice (my quick n easy 1st point of reference had slipped in the week before Xmas from 59 ish to 57 and yesterday to 55.25. Today is 56.75 so rising again.

I did an extensive search (8 online quotes and 5 telelphone quotes) and most were 58/59.

On the phone, ALL the suppliers talked of further rises, and quoted reasons similar to bernie's above.

I got one online quote for 55.7 which was guaranteed for 24 hours so think I'll grab that tomorrow (though I might ring them/others first and try to talk them into something a bit lower - always worth a try!

The Buckinghamshire oil buying group has another 'buying day' on Monday but I doubt I'll wait for it:
    a) if prices are rising it might well not beat the quote I have (which won't last till then
    b) the last one was cancelled as I was the only buyer! (for some reason this meant they could not negotiate a preferential price for me.....)
  • pyrogenius
    Options
    I've never completed a BoilerJuice order but I was led to believe that the savings were really only for standard delivery, I am prepared to be wrong on this but it could be why the price wasn't that great. Especially if it is out with the bulk buying period.
  • kar999
    kar999 Posts: 706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have never ever found Boilerjuice competitive, even for their standard deliveries. they are always a couple of pence dearer than one of the six or so local suppliers that will deliver to my area. I may be lucky in that I have numerous suppliers within a 20 mile radius and can usually haggle an extra penny or so.
    If the ball had gone in the net it would have been a goal.
    If my Auntie had been a man she'd have been my Uncle.
  • spiritsfree
    Options
    I phoned "Team Flitwick" who i have a direct debit with ( and have done for 10+ years ) and asked for a price for 1000 lts......Over 74p a litre !!! When i said that i may as well close the account as they are 30% more expensive than i can get else where, they matched 58p a litre. Now I`m thinking that i may as well close the account as that is taking the proverbial !!...and.......... "I don`t like the feeling I`ve been left with" !!
  • Putrenco
    Options
    Can anybody there help me to find out, roughly, how much oil in litres per month do I need for a small cottage in the country (Kent) with two bedrooms, 5 radiators, an old standard boiler and water heating. I am new to oil heating, no idea of costs, however, I am renting this property and in three months (Nov/Dec/Jan), according to the landlady I´ve used about 1000 litres. We have separate tanks, however, there are pipes connecting to the same boiler room as hers.
  • bernithebiker
    Options
    Without knowing the level of insulation, amount of hot water use, and how warm you keep your house, it's impossible to say.
  • Putrenco
    Options
    Without knowing the level of insulation, amount of hot water use, and how warm you keep your house, it's impossible to say.

Thank you berni, it is a stone built cottage therefore the level of insulation appear to be poor, as I have realised, and the windows are draughty. Hot water for two people both shower everyday, heater on 3 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening. I do understand that is almost impossible to say but I woold like to put myself in the worst scenario of costs. No commitment. Thank you again.
  • dawnie1972
    dawnie1972 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Putrenco wrote: »
    Can anybody there help me to find out, roughly, how much oil in litres per month do I need for a small cottage in the country (Kent) with two bedrooms, 5 radiators, an old standard boiler and water heating. I am new to oil heating, no idea of costs, however, I am renting this property and in three months (Nov/Dec/Jan), according to the landlady I´ve used about 1000 litres. We have separate tanks, however, there are pipes connecting to the same boiler room as hers.

I'd ask your landlady for proof. I moved into my old 3 bed farm house in June, it has cavity wall insulation & double glazed windows n doors but the walls are always really cold, i only used my oil for heating the water until the cold weather came, then the heating goes on at around 6pm till approx 10pm, and if very very cold for an hour in the morning. I put 500 litres in at the beginning of June and am just about to put another 500 litres in!
    A home is not a home ..... without a dog :heart:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport