We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cheaper Oil for Fuel?

Options

Comments

• Putrenco
    Options
    It proves that insulation is fundamental, most of the heating is wasted. My calculations of 5/6 litres a day went down the pan with the freezing weather we have now. Also, with the boiler kicking in when the temperature drops below 0*C we find ourselves with the system working none stop from 05:00AM and still going on at 13:00PM that means we have no control over the use of oil and we were not warned by the landlady when we rented the cottage. By the way Lotus-eater, the pipes do join behind the boiler, I will have to make serious questions...
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 February 2012 at 2:52AM
    Options
    Not sure how 'quality' of radiators can keep your consumption down. I would only think that LARGER radiators allow you to run the boiler at lower temperatures thus improving efficiency slightly.
    Older radiators were simply metal (or cast iron) plates through which the hot water ran.

Nowadays, most rads also have 'convector' fins, either single or double. These are metal fins through which the water does not run but which heat up, and then add to the dispersion heat into the room. This is much more efficient use of the heat in the hot water, so affects the amount of energy the boiler needs to use.

Further more, simply lowering the temperature at which the boiler runs is unlikely to save energy, even with 'larger rads'. If the water temp is lower, bigger rads will not help get the room warm. So the boiler will be constantly running in its (vain) attempt to get the room up to the required temp using luke-warm (OK exageration but you get the point) water.

Running the boiler hot gets the rads hot, which gets the room up to required temp which switches off the boiler which.... saves energy.

It's a complex balance between rad type, rad size, water temp, boiler size, water-pump speed to get the energy efficiency optimised.
  • RichardHowells
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Nowadays, most rads also have 'convector' fins, either single or double. These are metal fins through which the water does not run but which heat up, and then add to the dispersion heat into the room. This is much more efficient use of the heat in the hot water, so affects the amount of energy the boiler needs to use.

That is not quite right. All the heat energy the rad emits into the room has to come from the hot water. The heat in the water comes from the boiler. Therefore whatever gets into the room MUST come from fuel burned by the boiler.

The heat a rad emits into the room depends on the temperature of the water and the surface area. Fins, and double rads, allow a higher output rad to look smaller, and be less obtrusive, in the room. Eg a three foot double rad has the same surface area as a six foot single.
  • DEREKALC
    Options
    Can you or anybody reading this response tell me their thoughts on useing the metal foil from the builders merchants or b & Q to place between the radiators and the wall, Ihave made enquires and apparently it comes in rolls of self adhesive type about 18" wide to slide behind the radiators, a two person job apparently but too difficult, anybody any thoughts please.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I found it worthwhile if you have solid walls. Not sure if it's worth it otherwise. A friend of mine says it is.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Has anyone tried http://theheatingoilclub.co.uk/?page=main The Wellyboot one does not work for me. :(

The company I work for has a few properties that use fuel oil so some central supplier or cheaper source would be brilliant. Trouble is the areas are Cornwall, Gloucestershire & Oxfordshire so quite an area to cover.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • ReflexReaction
    Options
    Has anyone tried http://theheatingoilclub.co.uk/?page=main The Wellyboot one does not work for me. :(

The company I work for has a few properties that use fuel oil so some central supplier or cheaper source would be brilliant. Trouble is the areas are Cornwall, Gloucestershire & Oxfordshire so quite an area to cover.

I just checked and for an order of 4000 litres in my area they are £100 more expensive than boilerjuice...
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Thanks for the info, it's always worth getting another quote.

What is the Wellyboot one?
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Try using the heating oil clubs on CAB's map: http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/campaigns/oilclubs/oilclubs-map.htm

For Cornwall there's a community-based one: http://www.communityenergyclub.org.uk/

There are also some national groups - e.g. YOBCO http://www.yobco.co.uk/
  • bernithebiker
    Options
    For anyone that doubted the theory;

Here we are at the end of winter, it's been very mild and still is, and yet prices have climbed to their all time high.

Just to show that so many factors affect the oil price, not just how cold it is in winter.

Personally, I think the current price is very much overblown, the risk from Iran has temporarily subsided, oil stocks are high everywhere, and the Saudis, Libyans and Iraqis are pumping more than ever.

If you can avoid buying for another month or so, do so. Unless Israel/Iran goes nuclear (in which case we're all in the poop), prices should come down.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure