We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cheaper Oil for Fuel?

Options

Comments

• Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh no! 900 litres cost £468 and 1800 litres cost £935 on Monday but now 900 litres costs £483 and 1800 litres costs £960!

Does anyone think the price is going to come down again?
  • nononsense1
    nononsense1 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I buy oil regularly and definitely think it will come down a bit before creeping back up as the colder weather approaches later in the year.

Always shop around though and ask provider if that is definitely their best price as some seem to be fairly flexible if you press them.
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 July 2012 at 3:03PM
    Options
    Stunning, isn't it?

Why is this news?

The Office for Fair Trading has got DCC (the owners of GB Oils) to agree to charge the order price, even when the price has gone up between order and delivery (they never charged less, it seems, when the price went down!).

News release here. And MSE News also (here).

Basically GB Oils will now be complying with:

1. Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (here)

and

2. The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (here)

People have posted that DCC companies (e.g. GB Oils and Flogas) have charged a different price for both heating oil and LPG to the price quoted on ordering.

The OFT's Off-grid Energy study a couple of years back didn't do much for either oil or LPG users, but the OFT has done a few useful things since.

• Annie021063
    Annie021063 Posts: 2,569 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,
    We are moving in a few weeks and our new house has oil fired central heating, something we have never had before. Any tips on efficient running, where to get best oil deals from etc?
    Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi all,
    We are moving in a few weeks and our new house has oil fired central heating, something we have never had before. Any tips on efficient running, where to get best oil deals from etc?
    Thanks

Buy before winter after phoning round local suppliers. See if any will price match/discount.

Insulate as best you can and get the boiler/system serviced.

Oh and buying 1000+ litres should get you a cheaper price.
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    According to Boiler Juice the price of home heating oil is rising, does anyone think the price will come down again in the next month or two?
  • Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I have been quoted 59.9p for 1000 litres by a local supplier in Monmouthshire. I have a payment plan with Emo Oil and they wanted 61.5p. I challenged the price and they matched the cheaper quote.

I think the prices will be going up.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
  • notrouble
    Options
    I think the mid-summer dip (49p ish) is gone now. It will be steady for a while in the high 50s, and then creep up to 60p +
  • terrierlady
    terrierlady Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    again 59.5p for 1,000 ltr quote today
    my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!
  • jojonic
    jojonic Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if / where you can get a small quantity of heating oil? We're moving out at the end of Oct so dont want to put in a fill. But we also dont want to run the boiler dry and do need some hot water for baths!
    Stuck in a hole :(:(:( Just a step from getting out
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure