Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > Recycle Old Mobiles: No-hassle way to maximise th... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Recycle Old Mobiles: No-hassle way to maximise the cash Discussion Area
Views: 64,048
Old 08-07-2008, 8:19 PM   #1
MSE Archna
Senior Researcher
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Recycle Old Mobiles: No-hassle way to maximise the cash Article

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

Read the old thread

Last edited by MSE Researcher; 15-06-2010 at 2:42 PM.
MSE Archna is offline   Reply With Quote
# 2
imagia
Old 09-07-2008, 11:31 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Excellent article - as always, very well researched.

I'd have to say that I am going to stop using Envirofone now. The prices in comparison to Mazuma have gone down quite a bit. Processing too has been pretty slow in my experience.

Mazuma has great prices, and their service is second to none. I sent a phone to them recently, which they received on a Tuesday. I got my cheque back on Saturday (the same week!), and even that was sent second class!
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to imagia For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Twisted Jester
Old 09-07-2008, 7:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I checked out the sites and thought I should point out that if you're an ebay user you could potentially get much more money for your phone by selling it on ebay.

The highest price I could get for a Nokia N93 was 51 from these sites and they currently sell on average for over 100 on ebay.

The one I'm selling on there now is fully boxed, completely refurbished via insurance so no scratches anywhere and has all the original packaged equipment so I'd expect to get a price at the higher end of the scale but obviously recycling companies are unable to take these things into consideration as it would not be cost effective for them to give individual prices.

There are always people looking for phones on ebay and all the ones I saw seem to go for a good price although there is always a chance it could sell for less, but mines only been listed for 2 days and I already have 26 people watching it.

So especially if you have a high end phone but even if not, I'd say spend a bit of time watching ebay for people selling your model and see how much they go for on average, it may be worth your while.

It's also worth noting that if you have a contract phone some of the companies are now offering substantial buy back rewards for your old phone, I don't know whether they do any similar offers for pay as you go but I recently upgraded my partners phone through Orange and got 150 buyback credit spread over the term of the contract and so lowering the overall monthly cost by nearly 40%
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twisted Jester For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
ladybug2008
Old 09-07-2008, 7:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Exclamation Sorry but not a good experience

I was selling my phone to mobile2cash, which was a really good phone and worth a fair bit. They sent me the envelope and I popped the phone in and took it to my post office and gained proof of delivery.

A few weeks later I contacted them to see what was happening, and they said that my phone didnt arrive in the post. I didnt get the money, even though I had obtained proof of postage.

I wasn't very happy with this experience - I might as well of put the mobile in the bin!
x
The Following User Says Thank You to ladybug2008 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
mobilejunkie
Old 09-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Proof of postage is worthless. I sent mine SD and had no problems at all with them, netting over 100 for one phone I got free anyway. No way would I have risked not sending SD for anything worth that much.
The Following User Says Thank You to mobilejunkie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
zowoods
Old 10-07-2008, 9:21 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Ebay Experience

In the past when got free upgrades have sold these on ebay, first time no issues, genuine and paying buyer.

However 2nd time doing it for my sister and got dodgy buyers 3 times costing alot of time to sort this out and get the fees back from ebay this was even though had stopped new ebayers and the like from being able to bid, in the end sister kept phone.

Just be prepared with high value stuff on ebay it has more potential to be an issue I had a mixed approach and would try it again but at the time it was such a huge hassle.
zoe
Zoe :confused:
# 7
imagia
Old 10-07-2008, 10:51 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejunkie View Post
Proof of postage is worthless. I sent mine SD and had no problems at all with them, netting over 100 for one phone I got free anyway. No way would I have risked not sending SD for anything worth that much.
Proof of postage is not worthless. I sent a fairly low value (less than 36) phone to TalkGreener, but it never arrived. I sent the proof of postage along with the compensation form and the letter saying how much I'd get for the phone, and a few weeks later had a cheque from RM for the full amount.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imagia For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
monstercop
Old 10-07-2008, 11:15 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default But be careful...

The other thing to consider when recycling old phones, especially when they are the PDA / technical ones is to make sure that you wipe the phone's memory before you get rid. You don't want texts, diary entries, or contacts being obtained bt less scrupulous individuals... By all means make the most of the phones without these features, but for the ones at the higher end of the market, be careful...
# 9
mobilejunkie
Old 10-07-2008, 4:21 PM

Anyone thinking Royal Mail will caugh up more than the minimum when something isn't sent SD is in for a nasty surprise. Follow whichever advice you want to bet on!
# 10
pink_lily84
Old 10-07-2008, 4:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zowoods View Post
In the past when got free upgrades have sold these on ebay, first time no issues, genuine and paying buyer.

However 2nd time doing it for my sister and got dodgy buyers 3 times costing alot of time to sort this out and get the fees back from ebay this was even though had stopped new ebayers and the like from being able to bid, in the end sister kept phone.

Just be prepared with high value stuff on ebay it has more potential to be an issue I had a mixed approach and would try it again but at the time it was such a huge hassle.
zoe

just a quick note to say i also attempted to sell a brand new upgrade phone on ebay... worth approximately 200, somebody bought it for 1000! this happened twice and its such an inconvenience to sort out all the fees etc, never mind having to take pictures to list it etc.

my advice to anyone with a brand new phone is to sell it on amazon. No photos needed, just find the same item and click on 'sell one like this', you get better money for it on amazon from my experience but you do seem to pay slightly higher fees etc.

another thing to note with amazon is that unless you have a phone thats in really good condition they dont seem to sell as well. i have a nokia on amazon currently >> condition used-good and it hasnt sold as yet (two months since listing it)

for the hassle it really isnt worth buying on ebay... amazon all the way!!
The Following User Says Thank You to pink_lily84 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
babylon_5
Old 14-07-2008, 6:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Tesco also recycle mobile phones and you get a gift voucher as well as clubcard points. I am recycling my Nokia 6131 and with Tesco's I will get 10 voucher as well as 300 clubcard points. This beats Mopay who will pay 6.50 or 7 in M&S vouchers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babylon_5 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
wiggy2007
Old 14-07-2008, 8:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi,

I'm in need of some urgent advice....

After getting some useful information from Martins Money Tips regarding exchanging your old phone for cash, I decided to sell my Samsung mobile to the company; Envirophone. Accidentally, I left my pay monthly sim card in the phone which I sent away. I have only recently realised this as I have just received a bill for 61 from my ex phone company as the sim card has been used over the last few weeks, and calls to China have been made.

I cancelled my contract with my phone company months and months prior to sending the phone to Envirophone, however I have contacted my phone company who have said, although you have terminated your contract the phone can still be in use and as a result you will have to pay for the bill.

I am extremely upset, that Envirophone, which was recommended to me would show so much neglect with regards to my data protection, although it was a mistake to leave the sim card in the phone, I am sure the company should have taken the necessary steps to avoid this from occurring.

My question is, what should i do? I cannot afford to pay 61 for a phone bill which i haven't used. Thanks.

Stephen
The Following User Says Thank You to wiggy2007 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
dani sky
Old 15-07-2008, 1:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug2008 View Post
I was selling my phone to mobile2cash, which was a really good phone and worth a fair bit. They sent me the envelope and I popped the phone in and took it to my post office and gained proof of delivery.

A few weeks later I contacted them to see what was happening, and they said that my phone didnt arrive in the post. I didnt get the money, even though I had obtained proof of postage.

I wasn't very happy with this experience - I might as well of put the mobile in the bin!
x
hi, it looks like im going to have the same problem with mobile2cash, i sent back 2 phones at the end of may, and havent heard a thing, i,ve sent two e-mails, but no reply. cant find phone number 4 them, but after reading your thread i think i would be wasting my time, i am gutted, thought it would be o.k being on martin lewis site. sob
# 14
gosling72000
Old 19-07-2008, 7:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs up

Hi,

Following recommendations on the guide I used mopay (best payer for my phone) and thought it was a excellent service. Recieved all communication and what to do with the phone and accessories was clear, concise and extremely quick.

However unlike a lot of the other people on here, I sent the mobile phone by recorded delivery to get there safer so I did not test the freepost address, hence I cannot confirm that part of the service. Phone payout was 15 (better than messing with Ebay, past sales results did not look worth it, even if i could have got a extra 10, would that auction have actually happened or would i always be re-listing to get rid of it, lots never completed?!). Done delivery by recorded 2nd class was only 1.80, so worth it for no hassle rather than proof of delivery problems (I've had with Royal mail were unreal in this matter)).

Within 7 calendar days they had received the phone, checked the phone and sent the payment by cheque, i recieved the cheque today, whilst confirming the order payout by email. Could of possibly had more update emails so knew what process the phone was going through at the time, but really quick so not that essential and well within their time guidelines!

When I have a old mobile to retire I know where to go next time!

Hopes that helps some of you make a decision about your old phone, but make sure YOU remove them SIMS first like they always advise!

Dan

P.s Sent a 90 worth phone to mobile2cash by special delivery of which i know they have recieved, still awaiting phone checks and payment into my account and will keep you informed as i have seen a couple of posts on here saying they have had problems with this lot!
The Following User Says Thank You to gosling72000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
mobilejunkie
Old 19-07-2008, 7:56 PM

I think you'll find those people dispensed with SD. I only do that with cheap phones. As for recorded, that's only ok up to about 35 - if worth more than that only SD will cover it.
# 16
homeburd
Old 21-07-2008, 2:23 PM

I have just sold Nokia 6280 to Mazuma, sent it in the envelope provided to the freepost address and cheque arrived today exactly 7 days from the date order approved. Order has also tracked on topcashback for £1.50. I would happily use them again.

Update: £1.50 now confirmed on TCB

Last edited by homeburd; 29-07-2008 at 5:18 PM. Reason: Updated info
The Following User Says Thank You to homeburd For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
moneymad68
Old 22-07-2008, 4:57 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

has anyone sold their phone to mobilephonexchange? as I'm thinking of selling my old phone to them?
moneymad68
# 18
gosling72000
Old 25-07-2008, 6:58 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs up

Quick update on dealing with Mobile 2Cash - Placed order on system - 10th July, received confirmation and postage items - 14th July, sent phone by Special Delivery - 15th July, they recieved phone and confirmed in working order with value as agreed at beginning of order by email - 16th July, recieved money direct into account 24th July. All in all 14 days to turn the order around in, which i don't think is too bad, when they said it could take up to 30 days!

Still i think for phone of anything over 36 in value should go by a courier (if cheaper) or Special Delivery, so you can ensure they have recieved it and can claim off the deliverying company if something does go a miss accordingly and also they cannot deny that it has not arrived!!

Hope the above experience helps you decide if you wish to use companies like this.

Good luck in profiting from your old phones you no longer use.
Overdraft No.1 11/12 - (Owe 01/12/11)-800 / (Paid off so far 01/12/11) 0.00 Total = -800.00
Overdraft No.2 11/12 - (Owe 01/12/11)-1950 / (Paid off so far 01/12/11) 0.00 Total = -1950.00
Lorry Driving Training Saving 11/13 - Need to Save - 2200 (Saved so far 01/12/11) 0.00 Total - 0.00
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gosling72000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
ascint
Old 26-07-2008, 5:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I listed several phones to envirophone, a nice man called to collect the parcel, within 7 days I'd had several emails to inform me each phone had been tested and passed. I then within 3 days received notification to say the cheque had been sent and 9 days later its yet to appear.

I'm optimistic it will arrive Monday, as have checked postal address on my account and it looks ok.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ascint For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
rondan
Old 30-07-2008, 5:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default mobile2cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSE Archna View Post

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

Read the old thread
I listed 2 mobiles with mobile2cash, they gave me a value which I was happy with and sent the envelope on 21st, had no reply by 28th so sent an email, to which I got a reply stating the phones did not arrive and my account had been processed!! I sent one back saying you mean you have already decided that you were not going to pay me and closed my account, to which they sent me a copy of a form to claim after 15 days from the post office, they are not a nice company to deal with and take no responsibility at all, basically if you do not send special delivery you know you will not get paid. Very unhappy, they did not even reply to my last email. Have spoken to friends and this has happened to the recently also. Nothing I can do now though.
The Following User Says Thank You to rondan For This Useful Post: Show me >>