Cashback Guide for Dummies

Options
By special request I am resubmitting the following in the hope and expectation it may help a few people!

There are SO many repeated mistakes on numerous different threads that I think it's worth setting out my non-definitive guide for the unwary. Now is the time when all the dealers with any particularly attractive cashback deals seem to be competing not for customers (for whom they have an almost TOTAL disregard) but for the prize for stooping to the lowest depths to mislead, lie and cheat people out of their expectations when they sign up. Far too many are blinded by the "greed" and alure of something for nothing - me included. However, it can be done. The sad truth is though that many (probably more than half and almost certainly a MUCH higher percentage in the case of 100% success on their given deals) don't achieve their cashbacks. I don't entirely blame the cheats and liars who now abound offering irresistible shiny new phones with lots of free minutes and texts. Often it's the fault of the people themselves not doing their homework or making sure they know what they are doing - though THAT is becoming extremely difficult now!

So, I'll get on with it. It's probably impossible to achieve all the basics - but given the consequences of losing out I would suggest people try to do as many as possible.

1) Find out as much as you can about the dealer. READ all information about them, their terms and conditions, Q&A etc on the website. Most of all, read, digest AND QUESTION the terms and conditions. WHAT do they REALLY mean? Which neatly leads onto number

2) Never ASSUME or take terms and conditions at face value. e.g. what is the "fifth monthly bill"?? Vodafone sends out bill number 1 in month two - covering perhaps a six week period. Other networks send out the first bill almost immediately. Is the dealer referring to the bill or the month? This is a classic misleader with at least one company many people will recognise without too much trouble! Remember, don't ASSUME that what you would TAKE something to mean is ACTUALLY what THEY mean by it. This is probably one of the most important things of the lot. Or then again, there's number

3) Just who IS this dealer? Are they "affiliated with" or "partners of" (people will recognise at least one other dealer here) a much larger organisation? These are VERY loose and almost meaningless terms and designed to totally mislead people into thinking they are dealing with a huge company - and it often works. Maybe that's because people WANT it to be as good as it looks. Basically, the larger the company, the less likely they are to disappear or go bust. A company who is "listing on the Plus market" could be no bigger than the small shop at the end of the road (anyone recognise THIS lot?? Maybe not, it appears they aren't around any more.) Now, another CRUCIAL one - number

4) Try talking to them BEFORE you buy. DON'T buy at that time. Prepare a list of specific questions and then see whether you get meaningful, clear, consistent and convincing (dangerous word) answers - REMEMBER, you WANT this to be true deep down inside, so be very wary and listen VERY carefully. In addition (or perhaps instead) email them and see whether they actually respond; most don't (I bet there's more than one group of customers who recognise another dealer...) That doesn't mean you shouldn't use them - but it does make you have to consider what happens when something goes wrong (as it often does, sometimes innocently but sometimes not). If a dealer doesn't want to answer basic questions to encourage you BEFORE you go with them what on earth do you think they'll be like afterwards? They will have your money and then avoid you like the plague! However, non answers are quite common and wouldn't leave many dealers in your potential list. So also important is number

5) Read as much as you can on as many feedback sites about any potential company you're considering committing too (I do actually think this is the best, but search google for the dealer and see what comes up. Also check any related trading names - THAT can be VERY illuminating - how many recognise some of THOSE??!!). No good afterwards finding out all the flaws, cons and shortcomings. You have to do a LOT - and I DO mean a LOT - of reading and research. Before getting ANY mobile deal I read and researched for about a year. The company I went with in the end had some worrying feedback a few months before. The best company at the time now seems to be a nightmare. More than ever, we must consider number

6) THINGS CHANGE. I have read repeatedly on these threads recently that "they have always paid up without a problem in the past for several years/contracts". Well, that MAY well change - and I've never seen things change SO quickly as they do now. Don't be complacent. I confess to a tendency to guilt myself on this one - but then I'm more of an expert on one or two dealers than a generalist on many, which has something to be said for it in my defence... Now, when you FINALLY decide (and this SHOULD be a long process but usually is more like impulse than careful investigation) number

7) ALWAYS copy and print the full terms and conditions at the time you apply for the deal. Time and again on these threads it amazes me just how many people DON'T. THEN when a dealer quietly (or not so quietly) changes its terms and conditions they're not ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN what they signed up for and can't check. This also is happening at an increasing pace. Anyone NOT doing this is simply asking for trouble - and I'm afraid I haven't got a lot of sympathy! Having done that and ordered the phone, number

8) GET ORGANISED. Do charts, make entries in diaries (this years and next's), make a file or folder, check all the documentation AND that there are no nasty surprises when the phone arrives. There are other things to do but this particular list would be quite long and some of the things I don't particularly want to advertise (don't pm me to ask because I won't tell!!). By now you really should be taking an approach which perhaps should have come higher up the list. But we're put it here, number

9) DO assume (this time!) RIGHT FROM THE START that you will have end up having to sue the dealer if you want to get your cashbacks. If you don't think about that until later you could have reduced or even ruined your chances. To date I've had something like 12 totally free contracts and got about another 10 or so for others so far and we've not lost a single cashback or had to sue anyone - but (for myself) if they try me I am quite ready to play. Prepare and record eveything accordingly. Meanwhile, number

10) DON'T stop reading the threads on here about your dealer. You can learn an awful lot - I have. When it comes to number

11) DO DO DO DO keep copies of EVERYTHING you send when you make a claim. It really does amaze me when I read time and again that people didn't and can only be "sure" they did do or send this or that! Sorry; no sympathy again. By the way, if I sound harsh that's because all those people pay for my freebies or I wouldn't be able to "get something for nothing" - I suppose that makes me selfish or unkind. However, that's the whole basis of ALL these deals. If everyone DID achieve their cashbacks they wouldn't exist (or certainly be half as generous). It's like a law of gravity; basic arithmetic. So I'm not TOO upset when many fail and I'm not TOO keen to hound the dealer out of existence... and this is quite a serious point! Now, number

12) Always be meticulous and careful when sending a claim, BUT also try and send it off as soon as you can within the eligible period. This is something I'm VERY good at and it has several benefits (never sure why people leave it until the last minute sometimes). This (potentially) gives you the opportunity to put things right if the dealer rejects it. It also shows they had time to do that if they wait until it's too late for you before so doing. And provided you always do number

13) ALWAYS send it recorded delivery. I often don't - but only when I have a VERY safe back-up plan and timescale. It amazes me that when certain t&c TELL people to and DON'T allow any second chances (especially when you lose ALL the remaining cashbacks if you miss one) a lot of people don't and then start calling the dealer names. I mean, honestly...! Of course, should you end up as my namesake, do have SOME kind of discipline (I know it's hard). Consider number

14) Becoming a serial cashbacker must be somewhat like a serial dater (wouldn't know because I spend all my time on here and never had any left to try that). I would assume (if you are) and are greedy to get a lot on the go at once that you would NOT put all your eggs in one basket (bit guilty but it's a fairly safe basket by my reckoning). A certain small fish pretending to be a whale went bust recently, leaving a LOT of people with even more contracts each than I've got. They have been screaming and shouting because they are left stranded with literally THOUSANDS of pounds of contracts they can't get out of. Be generous; if you MUST get hooked, spread it around a little and work out the sums...Ok; let's go advanced with number

15) When you read the t&c for the deal or dealer, THINK about it. I'm amazed (again) at how people jump in with both feet because the deals are so irresistable, when the t&c might say you have to stand on your head with a toothbrush up your backside for 15 minutes every day or they will charge you £200 and void ALL your claims... Well, ok - not QUITE, but some are so plainly ridiculous and only there for one reason - to avoid paying you and frighten you off when you do get round to THINKING about the t&c a few months in, when it's too late. AND number

16) The headless chickens (sorry) running around in a complete panic because they've overdosed on one crooked dealer who's done a runner really SHOULD have UNDERSTOOD how this works BEFORE they even had their first sniff. Each deal involves TWO contracts; one with the dealer (the cashback provider) and one with the network. Guess what - the network does NOT pay you ANY cashback and you have NO legal right to any from them if the dealer runs out of gear. Again, I'm afraid it's no good trying to go cold turkey AFTER the event. Now, in case you haven't worked this out yet, I'll end with number

17) IT'S A GAME with REAL money (yours) and a stacked deck (theirs). This is not walking into Sainsbury's and paying at the til. It's a complete minefield designed to blow you off course and out of the game. Accept that and learn how to play or don't. Most people shouldn't (but, fortunately for the likes of me, do).

SO - do you STILL want to grasp the glittering prize which most later see slip through their hands after being greased by the presenter or are you going for the simple life where having just one mobile phone costs you an arm and a leg?

Comments

• John_G66
    Options
    Many Thank MJ :A
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    Hope it's helpful; I think it ought to make people think more carefully before taking the plunge on all those tempting deals...!
  • afsha
    afsha Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    thanks planning on taking out a new contract and this will come in handy.
    Start Weight: 11st 9lbs /73.8 kg (BMI 31)
    Current Weight: 11st 8lbs/73.3 kg (BMI 31)
    10% Target Weight: 9st 8lbs/60.8 kg (BMI 25)

Member of the Lose Weight 13 thread
    August Challenge : 5lbs

WW online member but STILL need help.
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    I have decided to put this on here as a more central guide to people asking lots of questions in relation to the problems and confusion resulting from these particular t&c. Hopefully it will cover the basics - BUT people are going to have to work out a lot of this for themselves!!

Generally; the price-match t&c have NOTHING to do with the "period a bill covers". Let's knock THAT one on the head immediately! It is all to do with a) when you ordered the phone b) the connection date c) the bill DATES - not the NUMBER.

Now, there are two basic t&c here. They are saying you use the calendar anniversary of the date you ordered a) at 4 months etc as the 30 day CLAIM WINDOW. Any bill you send in that window must be no older than 28 days when it arrives. People will have to use their brains to work things out using THAT set of t&c, according to their own particular dates etc. However, that is NOT the t&c people signed up to. THEY are that you need to send the first bill that arrives which is dated 120 days etc after CONNECTION - within 30 days of ITS date. THAT means you can meet BOTH sets of t&c BUT I have reckoned for quite some time that about 50% will meet one set and not the other because of the network they are mainly on and the ways the bills work. In that case the company will decline ALL your cashbacks for being late but (of course) under the legal t&c in some circumstances claim the bill is too early (not saying that but a danger). NOW...

The fall-back position are legal terms and conditions. If anyone gets it wrong BUT has met those they can sue for ALL the cashback - PROVIDED they've followed my groundrules
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    When it gives out too much useful information!

The dealers are now changing their t&c and the ways they "interpret" them almost on a daily basis. I try to adapt and ensure my claims are as safe as possible - and I do the same for my own small group of friends and family (hate to think what would happen to their cashbacks if I went under a bus tomorrow...!). HOWEVER, I simply will not tell SOME things to people generally for one VERY good reason - make that two. Or perhaps even three! 1) The dealers are now obviously and constantly trying to trip people up to STOP them getting their money. When people adapt accordingly THEY will in turn try to stop such adaptations by tightening the screw some more. And they've already done that quite successfully in the last four months - ALL of them!! 2) If EVERYONE is successful there won't BE any 12 month free deals for anyone - especiallly yours truly! In other words, by helping everyone else to the fullest extent (not possible anyway because I'm already VERY stretched on here nowadays!) I am actually harming my own situation. So I WILL help, but there are limits - physical and otherwise! 3) I give 100% attention to my own claims and those of my little "group". Because of the way things work nowdays and the number of claims we need to make each month (about 8 on average!) that takes a certain amount of thought and care. Whilst I fully accept that and will give it/them my all, I cannot do the same for the increasing numbers of "everyone else". Thus, when individuals ask for my help and throw dates/claims/t&c etc at me I DO try and help to a degree, BUT I can't give their particular problem/situation the SAME level of care, attention and thought which I do to my own people and contracts. It just ain't possible!! Thus it is easier for me to make mistakes AND by giving too many little tactics away in my guide I harm them too! Basically, I've also noticed that many people have increasingly different problems and a very detailed guide can in itself end up misleading them as a result.

It is crazy that every day there are new people coming on here, often starting yet another thread, who have got ALL the basics wrong, just purchased from the worst companies of all and then asking the SAME old questions. Well, as time goes by if they haven't at least done the basics which I've bothered to put on this thread I'm afraid they won't get a lot of sympathy from me. I'm not the only one - I sometimes see a few other more knowledgeable people on here giving short shrift to those types of questions!

I spent over a year reading in detail all the relevant threads on here BEFORE I got my first ever contract OR actually joined. Even then it was another year before I did join and post my first comment - incensed at that moment by some of the garbage being written by one of the dealer representatives on here. In fact, I can only remember ever asking one actual question for my own benefit during my time on here (it's quite possible I'm mistaken, but it's true as far as I can recall). I spend most of my time now answering them or warning people about things I can see approaching. I think it's fair that with all the time I invested and knowledge and experience I've acquired I should be able expect people to put SOME effort into this themselves BEFORE they get sucked in - don't you??
  • Sid_Harper
    Sid_Harper Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    Well said... everyone just seems to come on here and start a new thread or ask the same question with a few different dates attached. Search and research are two words that spring to mind. The problem is also that the more that come and post these things, the harder it becomes to pick out the really important info, which makes it so much more of a waste of time (and potential mistake making) for everyone else!
    The thanks button is here to the right. If you find a post saves you money, gives you useful information, or you agree with it, take a second to thank the poster! :)
    >>>
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    Things have never changed so fast as now.

E2Save have been writing t&c for contracts which have (in fact) been running for well over six months in an attempt to mould them into their "new" way of doing things. Claim months are being altered, claim addresses changed (but then again not!), post never arrives and customers are left wondering whether their claims have been received (according to cpw rather than Royal Mail) and/or will be paid. Now the postal strike seems to be drawing to a close and the last week's stagnation is over I expect the first lot of valid claims to be rejected under the so-called "price-match" t&c to start arriving. Of course, I COULD be wrong (and I reckon only 50% will be unjustly declined along with all the remaining cashback claims in those cases) since they are making the rules up as they go along now. The t&c are still causing enormous confusion - not helped when people don't even seem to understand WHICH t&c they are on.

Then there are the other dealers; taking longer and longer to pay, increasingly creative in their excuses when forced and changing their deals according to whether they need a short-term cash injection to pay existing customers or have breathing space to actually sell deals where they make an honest buck. Honest is a rarity now though.

On the other side we have the great crusade; rival dealers who can't compete (or who get tarred with the same dishonest brush through no fault of their own) striving to stop the competition by banning cash-back deals entirely AND the disgruntled customers who have either been ripped off on a sometimes massive scale (self-inflicted) or lost out because they went into the deals far too lightly and came unstuck (own fault) who are demanding recompense from every organisation in the industry which has a name (or giving them names they'd rather not have!) and call for regulation which will inevitably destroy all cashback deals in their current format. Of course, dishonest dealers will still rip people off but in different ways - and with worse deals for everyone.

I now advise people NOT to take out cash-back deals unless they really, REALLY understand how they work AND are prepared to keep a close and very regular eye on everything. My groundrules have never been more crucial!

Sad times indeed!
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    Without knowing the figures or exactly what's going on, it's pretty obvious how these deals work.

1) Not ALL the deals are totally free, but dealers will obviously largely attract people to those that are.

2) Let's assume the contract cost £500 and they get £300 from the network. Let's assume the phone actually costs THEM £80. They then make £220 profit (less overhead costs of course) on the deal BUT have to pay £500 to the customers. Thus for every 100 customers they must hope that more than 56 fail totally JUST to break even. (220 x 100 = 22,000/44 = enough to fully pay 44 customers the full £500).

3) Allow for NATURAL wasteage (no dirty tricks); people are disorganised, forgetful and have other things throughout their contracts to divert their attention at crucial times.

4) Add a few filters; e.g. miss one claim lose all the rest.

5) Then a few additional obstacles; original bills rely on Royal Mail - not exactly reassuring!

6) When more people than expected succeed, increase the height of the fences e.g. less time to claim (could list several more quite readily but wouldn't want to encourage them by so doing!).

7) vary the details in the t&c to benefit your cash-flow e.g. more claims later into the contract.

I would say that I could probably work very well if I was on the dealer's side; must be quite interesting!

What's now happened is that the networks are encouraging the dealers via overly keen sales and marketing in a highly competitive business. Some small dealers are just as naive as many of the customers and believe the hype and business models. Unfortunately large organisations cannot be trusted - and so dealers get all the flack from one side and an immense squeeze sometimes from the other. Of course, some are outright crooks but ALL the dealers can be perceived as "guilty". And now they all seem so desperate to compete and survive they are being forced to resort to "dirty tricks". That is where you have to draw the line. However, which would you rather; see a few people go down on the fences and leave the money coming for the survivors or wipe out the whole field and ban all races for good so no-one can enter if they choose? No-one is FORCED to go into these deals! Also remember the fortune this government squeezed out of the networks for 3G licences a few years ago now. It was a long time before the networks could make that money up. If people really want to start a crusade they should look at the TOP for entirely other reasons and not for more regulation!

This model is so obvious I find it hard to understand that people don't accept that a large chunk of customers WON'T get their cashbacks. THEN they need to ask, why not? - and make sure they aren't the ones finding out the answers to that question the very hard way! Once people understand that this is a percentage game they can decide on their skills along with the odds and do the things they need to do (first post on this thread!) to shorten them in their favour!
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    Whether highly ambiguous terms and conditions can be viewed as a dirty trick is debatable. It actually must be quite difficult to write them in such a way as to make them perfectly clear to everyone. Writing them is also dangerous for the dealer; any determined customer can hold them to something should they slip up. However, recently a number of decidedly dirty tricks have been surfacing - so I think my guide should perhaps have a little section on them.

Being aware of the fact that these are being used - and particularly aware of the increasingly common ones - can assist anyone with a cashback deal avoid the effects. It is MUCH more difficult to shut the door after the horse has bolted and the dealer's got you by the short and curlies - mixed metaphor?! Lol!

SO; here we go:-

Trick 1) Claim was never received. Prevention; unless there's a fall-back position (i.e. a definite second chance to re-send in reasonable time etc.) ALWAYS send AT LEAST recorded (if not special) delivery. There's an ongoing debate about whether Special is necessary. Although I never use it I can see that it reduces the risk - but it also increases the cost, of course. Then again - there's a LOT of money at stake - yours!

Trick 2) Sorry - there's a page missing. Prevention; you must take as many steps as possible to prove beyond reasonable doubt that you DID include everything. Photocopy each and every page, preferably with the recorded delivery slip and envelope next to them. Staple them all together and copy the pages spread out sufficiently to show they were all attached. Photograph them set out neatly on the table or floor. You could video yourself putting them in the envelope (if you have at least three hands) and where you can get a witness to what you put in the envelope and then seal that in front of them.

Trick 3) Change the terms and conditions 3 - 8 months into the contract and ask for something which wasn't included in them originally. Prevention; don't just order the phone and worry about claiming later. DO print out the terms and condition at the time and keep them somewhere safe. Never bin anything you receive from the company. NEVER concede that you accept or must accept the changed t&c - but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to comply with them anyway.

Trick 4) Don't tell customers precisely WHAT they need to make a claim - OR perhaps how long they get to - until AFTER they get the phone. There are AT LEAST two dealers who do this. Psychologically, they know that once someone HAS the phone they are most unlikely to return it over such "trivia". Personally, if i only have 14 days from the date of each bill to claim without forfeiting ALL the cashback I think I'd rather know that BEFOREHAND! Prevention; DO your research. Make certain you KNOW (written) everything you might possibly need or want to know about how these deals work BEFOREHAND. If you want, make a checklist (might do that myself on here sometime!) to ensure you HAVE found everything out beforehand. If there's something you still don't know it is MUCH better to realise it and make a balanced decision than go blindly ahead and find out later. Again, RESEARCH, TIME and GREAT CARE are indespensible if you want to be one of those 44 (or less) people in every 100 in my example previously who DO actually GET their cashback later!

Trick 5) Delay, delay, delay! Have lots of "stages" each claim has to go through before it eventually gets paid (OR rejected). THAT way the dealer's cashflow improves if they eventually pay and (if they don't) by the time you find out they're not going to it's too late to correct any error they may SAY you made. If they delay things long enough you may die before they have to pay you (or they might!). The way things are you could well be half-way through your next contract before they pay up. Meanwhile they will pay those who shout the most - using your money! Prevention; decide at the outset how much you will accept in terms of delays and excuses. The feedback on here should give you a very clear idea as to how likely (and how long!) delays are going to be and what excuses may be expected to be given. The common ones range from "computer problems" to "lots of claims coming in so there's a back-log". However, draw a line in the sand and have your strategy ready. Two or three emails - polite and conciliatory - if you suspect they are going to extend timescales (sometimes it's very easy to pick that up well before they exceed them!), then something firmer. Decide exactly WHEN to send a Letter Before Action. This will give them x days to pay you before you make a claim on Moneyclaim (another topic!). Send it, then make a claim immediately if no cheque arrives. From their point of view, they KNOW most people will wait MONTHS before they seriously consider this - and most will NEVER do it. Why WOULD they pay people then? They will stretch things out as long as you let them. If you DO file a claim and they offer to pay - but possibly not the court fee. NEVER accept that (unless your insurance company is happy to pay it instead of you should you have legal expenses!).

I will add other tricks at a later date, but this is a start. Of course, I have touched on most of them before in my initial guide, but so many keep getting the basics wrong I feel that there's no harm in stating them again - and why the groundrules ARE so vital. Flout them at your peril!
  • superstar_2
    superstar_2 Posts: 2,104 Forumite
    Options
    You're a STAR man, i have no time atm, will read the whole thread carefully later. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure