🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Parents-Does The Taxman Owe You £1,500? (merged)

Options

Comments

• msmicawber
    msmicawber Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Yes, do - the rebate is for anyone looking after children under 16 at the time, so you would qualify/
    Debt at highest: £6,290.72 (14.2.1999)
    Debt free success date: 14.8.2006 :j
  • mermaid121212
    Options
    hi mismcawber..i posted my letter cpl weeks ago rec delivery. no reply yet, but was wondering,,is there a certain amount you had to be earning,to be entitled to the tax relief ? thanx for your help,and happy xmas.
  • mermaid121212
    Options
    ah well,i phoned tax office today to see if they got my letter. they did,,but i didn,t earn enough for yrs in question,so no refund lol..nvr mind. hope u all have a nice xmas :-)
  • msmicawber
    msmicawber Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sorry, mermaid, I haven't logged on for ages, so am only catching up with posts now. I'm sorry you weren't eligible, but at least you tried and got an answer before the cut-off date. At least you hadn't missed out on anything you were entitled to, eh?

Best wishes for Xmas.
    Debt at highest: £6,290.72 (14.2.1999)
    Debt free success date: 14.8.2006 :j
  • ruby6kids
    Options
    i have only just seen this post!!!!!!

i have moved house so many times that i have lost a lot of old papers

what should i do?
    :T Thanks to all lovely MSE'rs - you are great friends :T
  • tigtag02
    tigtag02 Posts: 6,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ruby6kids wrote: »

i have moved house so many times that i have lost a lot of old papers

what should i do?

Contact the tax office to confirm your tax codes for the relevent years :grin:
    :heartpuls baby no3 due 16th November :heartpuls
    TEAM YELLOW
    DFD 16/6/10
    "Shut your gob! Or I'll come round your houses and stamp on all your toys" The ONE, the ONLY, the LEGENDARY Gene Hunt :heart2:
  • ali99
    ali99 Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ruby6kids wrote: »

Me too! Just spent half an hour reading everything and already written a letter to the tax office. Does anyone know if there was an upper limit for the highest wage earner to get this? Our dd was born in Dec 2002 so we could be entitled to the one off payment of £545 or whatever it was as well as the income relief, depending on the upper limit. We earned more and spent less back in the days pre-kids!

Thanks, Ali
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,178 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ali99 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there was an upper limit for the highest wage earner to get this? Thanks, Ali
    Yes there was but unfortunately I don't remember what it was. The reason it sticks in my mind is I was aware that the married mans tax code was being abolished then there was nothing for a year, then a tax code for those who had children was coming in and we applied, but my friend rang me all excited to tell me to phone this number cos people earning x or under per annum with kids could claim this tax break, so I rang it in the hope there was something additional I'd never heard of. Of course what friend was on about was what we'd already applied for.
  • ali99
    Options
    Thanks - do you know if the limit applied just to the tax break or also to the one-off payment?
    Ali
  • ali99
    Options
    I think I just found my own answer after extensive googling! In 2002/2003 if you were a taxpayer entitled only to the personal allowance, you got no child tax credit if you earned over £42,450. Its not a one-off payment if you had a baby that year, don't know where I got that from, it meant double the usual tax break. This means that if you were entitled to the baby credit in that tax year, you got nothing if you earned over £50,250.
    Glad to have finally found that, now I can go to sleep!
    Cheers, Ali
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family