MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Would you take an eBay buyer at face value?

MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
MSE Staff
Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Would you take an eBay buyer at face value?

You’ve flogged a computer game on eBay for £20. Six weeks later, you receive an email from the buyer saying he just got back from holiday and the case arrived but had no disc in it – he wants a refund (the 45 day deadline for eBay complaints has gone). You’re pretty sure the disc was in there. Would you give a refund?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All
threadbanner.gif

Comments

• lolarentt
    lolarentt Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    I'd know for sure if the disc was in there, always check before sending CDs DVDs etc out!
    In my early days as ebayer managed to cross pack 2 different VHS films so they went to the wrong guys, luckily one of them got in touch and I was able to persuade them to swop with each other, for a small PayPal credit to cover their post costs. Since then I ALWAYS check what's going out!

So...the answer's NO REFUND
  • No refund, it if was a used game then I would have checked first. I would be suspicious of any first contact after 2 months
  • twotimes
    twotimes Posts: 6,551
    Forumite
    MSE_Jenny wrote: »
    Would you take an eBay buyer at face value?

You’ve flogged a computer game on eBay for £20. Two months later, you receive an email from the buyer saying he just got back from holiday and the case arrived but had no disc in it – he wants a refund (the 45 day deadline for eBay complaints has thus gone). You’re pretty sure the disc was in there. Would you give a refund?

"Pretty sure" - either it was in there or it wasn't!? Why would you ever sell something without checking what you were selling?

If the suggestion is that a Royal Mail worker has opened the parcel, opened the case and taken the disc from the case, why would they not just steal the whole thing? It's an unlikely explanation.

I probably wouldn't give a refund as I would know for certain that the disc was in there. The only reason I might give a refund is because I know that I would get a negative feedback from the buyer if I didn't.
  • Of course not. As a business or private seller there is no obligation to after that length of time.
    If they can afford a 2month holiday, then they can afford to buy a new game.
  • It's not really hypothetical given this recent post.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2175071&highlight=dvd
  • Also thinking on a bit... 60 days is also the feedback cutoff. I wouldn't even concern myself with the threat of a negative.
  • Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457
    Forumite
    What about the post on here the other day. The game box was sealed but the disk was not in the box.
  • twotimes wrote: »
    It's 90 days, so longer than the two months.

it changed about 18 months ago to a 60 day limit. Same time as negs were stopped for buyers.
  • twotimes
    twotimes Posts: 6,551
    Forumite
    milfhunter wrote: »
    it changed about 18 months ago to a 60 day limit. Same time as negs were stopped for buyers.

Sorry, yeah, I did know that, don't know what I was thinking of.
  • Yep I would give a refund but I would make it clear that I think they are TAKING THE MICK and I would not deal with them again!!!

I would also report them to ebay as a possible fraudster.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure