Diesel vs Petrol

Tony_H_3
Tony_H_3 Posts: 2,643
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Due to an accident I was forced to change from a 1.8 Auto using £3120 of petrol per year. My fuel costs alone have been reduced by a massive £2080 per year as I have changed to a Diesel vehicle.

If you do more than 6000 miles per year you should be looking at a Diesel to make substancial savings.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• luci
    luci Posts: 5,929
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have just changed back to diesel after having a petrol Primera 1.8 for the past 2 years. I'd always had diesel until then and have always loved it. The only downside is that parts are usually more expensive, but diesels are more reliable so this shouldn't be a big problem.
  • I'm changing to Disel too. My C320 Merc does 27 mpg on motorways and 14 in city. The new one would do around 50 on motorway & 28 in city. Just can't wait to start that saving.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    Every action has an equal and opposite reaction!
  • The cheapest fuel for motoring is LPG or vegetable oil.
    Buy a duel-fuel car or convert your own. Conversion
    costs from £1600, this money saved in 1-2 years depending on milage. 40p per litre.

http://www.go-autogas.com/
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • ohit
    ohit Posts: 370
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thing is, diesel cars generally do cost more.

If your buying 2nd hand though, it's easily justified anyway :)

Also, if one is a true driver and just loves driving, a petrol car is generally more fun to drive.
  • It's a no brainer if you have a company car.
    The last petrol car I had was three years ago - Galaxy 2.3 - 27 mpg no matter how lightly you drove it. :(
    Had Galaxy diesel's (130PS) since and they have averaged 46 mpg+ & on a steady run I have had 53 mpg + - amazing! :D
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912
    Forumite
    Thing is, diesel cars generally do cost more.

If your buying 2nd hand though, it's easily justified anyway :)

Also, if one is a true driver and just loves driving, a petrol car is generally more fun to drive.

I think it depends on style of driving and what you call fun.

I'd far rather drive on a country road in a turbo-diesel and overtake people with the benefit of turbo boost whilst still getting lots of MPG, than have to change down 2 gears and use loads of revs (and fuel) to do the same far more slowly in a petrol car. But that's just my opinion! And I've actually got a petrol car at the moment because (a) it was cheap and (b) I do a low mileage (But I had 3 turbo-diesels before that). My wife's car's a diesel though and I am not lost to the diesel cause.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053
    Forumite
    We have 2 cars, a small petrol and a family turbo diesel estate.

We get almost twice the mileage from the big diesel than we do the small petrol. ::)

When small car is up for change, it will deffo be another diesel we get to replace.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • solarstone
    solarstone Posts: 176
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ...continuing on, why is Diesel about 6p a litre (in places) more than unleaded ?? Government don't miss a trick do they.

In France, Diesel is a fraction of the cost of petrol, why can't that be so here !?
    Like a priceless jewel buried in dark layers of soil and stone, earth radiates her brilliant beauty into the caverns of space and time.

Stately trees seem to brush the deep blue sky. Clouds billow to form magestic peaks. The songs of birds fill the air creating symphony upon symphony
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    I have decided to go for diesel for my new company car. I get a set amount for mileage (11p) and I am sure I can get more miles out of a diesel engine and therefore my private miles will be less expensive. I am extensively testing the BMW 1 series this weekend followed by a couple of others I fancy. I was under the impresssion that the company car tax was going to be increased on diesels but it doesn't come in till Jan 2006 and it is only on newly registered cars after that date.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • JayS_3
    JayS_3 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Unfortunately, this is one of the side-effects of diesel:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/medical_notes/233033.stm

"The most likely culprit are PM10s, microscopically small particles given off by diesel engines, coal burning, mining, construction and quarrying."
    The only stupid question, is an unasked question ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure