Home Management notebooks/journals etc

FrankieM
FrankieM Posts: 2,454
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
edited 22 September 2009 at 5:59PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi,
I've been reading up on a couple of blogs that I like about the ways of organising people use, especially in regards to home journals, where people keep all there lists and info etc.
What do people use?
Do you use a notebook? A folder? Or are there online tools that can be used to keep all this info in place?
I'm sure that someone (was it moggins) posted a thread on this kind of thing but it didn't come up when I searched.

I wondered if there were 'newer' ways or if people use the tried and tested ways?

I currently use a 'pukka pad' and some online tools. I've also just been looking at familyfridge. I'm not sure if it will work for us...

Anyway, what do you guys use??

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 11 August 2009 at 10:07AM
    There are several good threads here about household notebooks, I'll be back with some links but there are some useful downloadable sheets at http://organizedhome.com/ under the 'household notebook' section ;)

Here's Moggins Household Manual
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,670
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 11 August 2009 at 9:39AM
    Personally I use excel...
    so I have. for example, all my addresses on and then I can print out labels for xmas cards.
    On my Bank account spreadsheet I have a sheet for contact details for utility supplies etc so I know account numbers/contact details
    I also log when I decorate and, inparticular quantities of paint/paper used per room
    I log christmas presents bought, for whom, cost, etc
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • rosieben
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 11 August 2009 at 10:55AM
    Excel is good but I am a list freak!

Many years ago I found a brilliant thread on organized home forum (long since closed unfortunately) about setting up a series of notebooks - OP was Autumn and the idea was brilliant! I copied and pasted the entire thread :dance:to keep as a reference, let me know if you want it I used it as a basis for my own notebook system which I've slowly developed into a system that's really useful to me.:

1. Household notebook
    emergency contact details
    room and window measurements
    decorating info - colours/quantities etc
    cleaning lists - especially winter/summer etc
    now includes my flylady thread lists :)
    could include things like insurance policies etc

2. Menus and meal planning
    menu plans and list of meal ideas
    storecupboard and freezer inventory
    shopping lists
    Recipes are kept in 2 separate folders but I'm trying to reduce that to 1

3. Finance

This is now an A4 accounting book that I keep up to date with my monthly cash spends and receipts. Utility bills are filed in a lever arch, need to get rid of most of these and just keep last 12 months and the final bill from previous property.

4. Guarantees and Instruction Books
    These are now hole punched and filed in a lever arch. Old stuff needs weeding out every 6 months or so

5. PC Notebook
    my websites and blogs info
    graphic design and dtp projects
    scrapbooking project details

I have a separate folder for PC Reformat info (only used once but was really useful / major timesaver)
    reminder list of what to back up/save
    discs with copies of progs that I use all the time
    copies of reformat discs

The girl on organizedhome also had a notebook for each of her children, for medical info appointments, allergies, childhood ailments etc.and school dates/info, hobbies and club info. As the child gets older they take over responsibility for their own folders.

sorry this is such a long post, hope its helpful ;)

• vivw_2
    vivw_2 Posts: 2,230 Forumite
    rosieben

Thanks for that really useful post....I'm printing it out now so that I can use it when creating my organising system
    We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.

• rosieben
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 11 August 2009 at 10:39AM
    One thing I forgot to say, use one lever arch or ring binder when you start off, then as one section gets full move it to its own folder. Dont spend lots of money on fancy files etc because your system will almost certainly change as you progress

I used to have 5 lever arch files, now have 2 (deep) ring binders, 1 lever arch, 2 envelope folders and an A4 book.;)

• xx_Jo_xx
    xx_Jo_xx Posts: 2,858
    Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    I have a ring binder that I have started using a series of dividers, but its a work in progress.....

Thanks for the fab posts - these are really helpful... xx
    :)Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying:)
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW :idea: August 2013... Debt total £15,475.56 - Jan 15 £11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
    Feb GC £48.02/£250 (£201.98)
    :D I will declutter my house and debts :D
  • rosieben
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 11 August 2009 at 10:51AM
    Hi Viv :wave: the original thread was brilliant as all sorts of people were putting in their ideas; not sure I can post it here, the organisedhome forum is closed but the actual site is still there so best not chance it. if you would like it, pm me ;)

edited to say that their policy is that copyright for posts remain the property of the poster - no way could I track them all down.... :eek:

• rosieben
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    xx_Jo_xx wrote: »
    I have a ring binder that I have started using a series of dividers, but its a work in progress.....

Thanks for the fab posts - these are really helpful... xx

Hi Jo :j you'll probably find you end up with something totally different to me - the important thing is to have a system that works for you; one of the posters on the thread I mentioned used just one lever arch for everything but if I did that I'd need a crane to lift it :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

• FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've just worked my way through Moggin's thread :eek:

Loads of interesting ideas..but I'm not entirely sure how to work mine yet.
    Does anyone use online tools for anything. I use my laptop on the sofa, I don't have a desk so I've no idea where I would put my folder etc so it wasn't in the way or didn't get constantly fiddled with by my DH or children....

I guess I could put it in a cupboard.....

Also do people put there lists in plastic so they can tick them off and then rub off the ticks for next time?
  • rosieben
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I know some people use a laminated sheet (or a plastic pouch) but I like to scribble on my lists so I dont :)

I did find it a problem finding storage but I keep the household binder, pc binder and the A4 book on a shelf under my desk; the meal planning binder is in the kitchen (or by the sofa because thats where I work on it); the others are upstairs in a bedroom cupboard because I dont use them often; none of it takes up much space

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family