Capital One Ripping me off!!

Options
Hi Guys,

Got to have a winge here.

Just got off the phone to capital one, and i really am annoyed.

I have a balance of £180, on a £2500 limit card, my direct debit of £9 was due, and as you know, they take the direct debit 'on or around' x date. Well, this was the first time ever that my direct debit bounced as they tried to take the £9 2 days before I get paid. Now, this was 2 weeks ago, at this point I havnt had my bank statement or capital one statement. Then today, i get both statements, showing that indeed the £9 has bounced.

I explain to the lady quite politley that i didnt have my statement untill today and as the direct debit is only £9 i didnt know it had bounced. She then went to explain.......this £9 bounce had actually cost me £41! this is the original £9, plus 3 charges of £12, 1 for a missed payment, and 2 for late payments! I explained that I had no letters from them in 2 weeks or phone calls to advise that the payment had bounced, and that i appreciate its not their fault and said i would of course pay the £9 now plus 1 late payment fee, also explained that they tried for the direct debit 2 days early, only to be told 'its your responsibility to ensure funds are there' to which i agreed but explain that my agreed dd date was 1 day after my payday to allow for this, but she wouldnt have it. So i then advised as its my first 'late' payment, could I not be let off? Again, no, its all my fault apparently. After being refused to be put through to a manager, was tehn advised that unless i make the payment of £42 now, there will be further interest etc and a default added! a default!! I couldnt beleive wat i was hearing, especially given the poxy amount the dd was for in the first place.....

Rant over!

Comments

• Robert_Sterling
    Options
    You should have left a poxy amount in your current account to pay the DD.
  • imported_DeZ
    Options
    They have breached the direct debit guarantee, failure to notify you of a change of date within 10 working days.

• [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica]This guarantee is offered by all Banks and Building Societies that take part in the Direct Debit Scheme.
      The efficiency and security of the Scheme is monitored and protected by your own Bank or Building Society.
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica]If the amounts to be paid or the payment dates change The Stage will notify you 10 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica]If an error is made by The Stage or your Bank or Building Society, you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica]You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by writing to your Bank or Building Society.
      Please also send a copy of your letter to us.
      [/FONT]
  • daveboy
    daveboy Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ...and you should also look after your finances so you can pay the poxy amount of £9.

Congratulations on idiot thread of the month.
  • daveboy
    Options
    They have breached the direct debit guarantee, failure to notify you of a change of date within 10 working days.

• [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica]This guarantee is offered by all Banks and Building Societies that take part in the Direct Debit Scheme.[/FONT]
      [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica]The efficiency and security of the Scheme is monitored and protected by your own Bank or Building Society.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica]If the amounts to be paid or the payment dates change The Stage will notify you 10 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica]If an error is made by The Stage or your Bank or Building Society, you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica]You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by writing to your Bank or Building Society.[/FONT]
      [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica]Please also send a copy of your letter to us.[/FONT]

Bull.

He didn't have the money. End of.

The Stage......:rotfl:
  • love-hearts
    love-hearts Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    Options
    C'mon peeps it's the OPs first post, give them a break.
  • imported_DeZ
    Options
    Agreed that he should look at his finances if the money wasn't there, but at the end of the day, if capital one have applied to the account early (without notifying him) then they are clearly in breach of the direct debit guarantee, which is the main point here is it not ??
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, but if the money had been in the account it wouldn't have mattered if it was taken early. Still comes down to the OP for running his bank account on empty.
  • daveboy
    Options
    If £9 kills someone then they need to look closer to home.
  • gianni_uk
    Options
    wow wow wow.....i said i wanted a winge. i never said it killed me...

i clearly said in my post it was teh FIRST time this has heappend. My accounts are normally in credit all the time, i dont have an overdraft, and never used one. I vented because this is the FIRST time i have been charged, and find being charged £32 quid a bit harsh.

daveboy - as im sure your aware, sometimes unexpected things arise, and unfortunatley cost further funds, hence why my £3 credit balance was insuffcient to cover my £9 direct debit. i dont even know why im here trying to justify myself to you!
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What was your 'on or around' date? When did they attempt to take the DD?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure