ENDS 28 FEB. £30 rebate for British Gas customers on benefits.

Options
URGENT! If you receive means-tested benefits you can claim a 60 quid rebate from British (or Scottish) Gas.

UPDATE 6 JAN 2006: Although the official deadline for applications was 31/12/05, British Gas says you can still apply til 28 Feb 06, though you will only get £30 now, rather than £60. This date is sometimes being disputed by the BG call centre, if that's the case just push and ask it for it and it usually allows it.

They are giving out rebates of £60 on winter bills - it is paid in two installments in November and February. The rebate is worth £40 for gas customers, £20 for electricity, i.e. £60 for customers getting both.

Check to see if you’ve received a form with your gas bill or call 0845 602 2008 and press 1 for Winter Fuel Rebate. All you need is your account details and they’ll arrange it for you.

It's for British (or Scottish) Gas customers only and you have to be on one of the following benefits:

Vulnerable Customer - Eligible Benefits
• Disability living allowance
• Pension Credit
• Attendance allowance
• War disablement pension which includes either a mobility supplement or constant attendance allowance
• Disablement pension which includes constant attendance allowance
• Child tax credit where the relevant income is £14,600 or less
• Working tax credit where the relevant income is £14,600 or less
• Council tax benefit
• Housing benefit
• Income-based job seekers allowance
• Income support
• Carers Allowance
• Severe Disability allowance

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, I hope some people will be able to take advantage of this.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • helen21_2
    helen21_2 Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Options
    Oh WoW, that is lovely, just phoned and said first cheque for £30 will be with me by the end of january and 2nd cheque for £30 by end of april, thank you so much jenny :xmassign:
  • dc
    dc Posts: 2,547 Forumite
    Options
    I get really annoyed with the exclusions regarding grants and rebates.

If you are on incapacity benefit, none of the above handouts apply, yet you are unable to have an income that comes anywhere near the thresholds applied to other benefit claimants. To rub in salt, many benefits on the list are given to those who already receive other benefits on the list too. Incapacity benefit excludes you from them all!

Fran and Jenny,am I missing something here, besides the trickle down money, or is there an injustice being perpetrated in the name of politics.
    ac's lovechild
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you so much for this. Have just phoned & registered for my rebate. I feel the cold really badly & worry about high heating bills, but having a couple of £30 cheques to look forward to to help out has made me feel a bit warmer already.

I'd not heard anything about this rebate scheme & hadn't received a form with either my gas or electricity bill telling me about it. If it wasn't for this forum I'd have known nothing about the rebates & would have lost out on payments.

I'm very grateful Jenny. :)
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • MSE_Jenny
    MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Great to hear that some of you have got the rebates; British Gas seem to have been quick to boast about their generosity to "vulnerable customers" in press releases, but slow to publicise it to the people who actually need to know – so pass it on!
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Damn I am using dual fuel with Scottish power wish I could get the £60
  • creditcardking_2
    Options
    Thanks, you have just saved my 90 year old grandmother 40 pound off her gas bill.
  • A_LANCASHIRE_LAD_2
    Options
    MSE_Jenny wrote:
    URGENT! If you receive means-tested benefits you can claim a 60 quid rebate from British (or Scottish) Gas, though you must claim before 31 DEC 2005.

They are giving out rebates of £60 on winter bills - it is paid in two installments in November and February. The rebate is worth £40 for gas customers, £20 for electricity, i.e. £60 for customers getting both.

Check to see if you’ve received a form with your gas bill or call 0845 602 2008 with your account details and they’ll arrange the rebate. You have to be on one of the following benefits:

• Pension Credit
    • Attendance allowance
    • War disablement pension which includes either a mobility supplement or constant attendance allowance
    • Council tax benefit
    • Housing benefit
    • Income support
    • Carers Allowance

Great new im a customer of Scottish gas for dual fuel , now ive only just paid them for my last bill of £45 and qual :santa2: ify from 2 of the catagories i somehow dont think i can get a refund surely not ?? But hey by calling u never know Many thanks !
  • Cumbrian_Male
    Options
    MSE_Jenny wrote:
    URGENT! If you receive means-tested benefits you can claim a 60 quid rebate from British (or Scottish) Gas, though you must claim before 31 DEC 2005.

Check to see if you’ve received a form with your gas bill or call 0845 602 2008 with your account details and they’ll arrange the rebate. You have to be on one of the following benefits:

• Pension Credit
    • Attendance allowance
    • Council tax benefit
    • Housing benefit
    • Income support
    • Carers Allowance

Is this JUST British / Scottish gas or a govt backed winter fuel payment?

We're with Seeboard energy dual fuel and wife receives DLA.
    I have a cunning plan!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts.

• A_LANCASHIRE_LAD_2
    Options
    Just wondering how do you prove you are entitled to the refund as per proving you are on one of the benefits as listed ??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure