1899 increasing charges to cable customers (merged)

Options
Hi

According to their website, 1899 now show the cost for NTL, Telewest, etc calling a UK landline charge as 0.5p per minute, instead of the customary 0.0p per min. The 3p connection charge looks unchanged.

The BT costs looks unchanged at 0.0p/min, for the minute.

Just tested by calling my own number, and the announcement says it is a free call.

So, is the website in error, or have they just not finished implementing the price increase?

Are BT lines next?
Should I switch to BT - has anyone done this from Telewest to BT?

What's the buzz?

wakey

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    That looks a little worrying for those with cable landlines.

http://www.call1899.co.uk/mobilerates.php
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    top right still shows 0.0p and also just making a call said it was free. Phone call at 16:21 today also shows at 0.03p toital cost too. Hope it's just a typo or very disappointing.

Irony of irony in the customer reaction section when you refresh the screen

Customer reactions 0.5 p per minute???? You guys are crazy :)
    Martin, Manchester
  • skyrocket
    Options
    Well I just made a call this morning and it was half a pee per minute! I am on NTL and it was free yesterday! I know there is still a great saving but I'm not happy about an increase just cos I'm with NTL!
    Sky x
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    I've been expecting it for a long while now.

The simple reason is call1899.co.uk have to pay per minute for any calls made via its 0800 number. This is how 0800 numbers work because although its free to the caller, the company themselves (call18866.co.uk) pay the call charges which vary but can be around 2ppm. I've even seen some costing upto 4ppm.

Now for them to only charge us a 3p connection fee for making a call means surely they must be making a loss or close to it.

Whereas people on BT using the shortcode 1899 means that Call18866 don't pay x amount per minute but pay a setup fee and an annual fee to BT for people using dialling 1899.
  • fayraz
    fayraz Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lets wait and see what happens then.
  • iceburn
    iceburn Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    actually I am not suprise they put the price up sky, cause with 0800 they have to pay a per minute charge to NTL for you to use it. And probably on an average duration call they will be paying out more than 3p at a time to NTL. Hence if you are not happy paying that charge I am afaird the only solution is either get a BT landline or VOIP. :-(
    NB: I was thinking for a quite a while when they would push the price up like 18866 cause of the cost.
  • fayraz
    fayraz Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I ring now it says this phone call is 0.5 per minute. :(
  • wakeywakey
    Options
    So, has anyone got any information, experience, or views on making the switch from Telewest to BT so that 1899 is used as the prefix instead of the 0808 number...

We switched from BT to Telewest some years ago, so in our case it would be re-joining. This assumes that 1899 won't be increasing the p/min from zero anytine soon.

What are your views?

Thanks

wakey
  • iceburn
    iceburn Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    well if you tell telewest you want to disconnect they might give you 6 months free line rental. Can than contact BT and "reconnect" the line there in which case you might not be stuck in a 12 month contract. can than use 1899 through BT.

Other option is have sipgate instead of telewest line at least save on telephone line. But this assume you are not having telewest cable tv cause need telephone to get cable tv.
  • Spikey_2
    Spikey_2 Posts: 14,119 Forumite
    Options
    I have just treid it and got the D%$n engaged tone then after constant redialing about 8 times got the message 1/2 pence a min.....

Yes, still a saving but why are people who are not on BT targetted and charged higher?

Not a very fair system.

Spikey
    Use your judgement, and above all, be honest with yourself. :)
    I walk with the world & the world walks with me!
    I don't make bad choices!!! Other people just fail to see my GENIUS !!!! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport