🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Mobiles.co.uk

Options

Comments

• TREVORCOLMAN
    TREVORCOLMAN Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    edited 15 April 2010 at 9:24AM
    Options
    Cant find my original thread so will post here.

Mobiles.Co.Uk cheque due 21 Apr.

Claim 1 of 4 (1/4 of the amount arrived).

Arrived yesterday = 21 days from conf that they would send.

Everthing marked CPW.

So far OK.
    I am NOT a mortgage & insurance adviser - or anything to do with finance, that was put on by the new system I dont know why?!
  • I'm new here, so please excuse me if this is an old topic or whatever.

Has anyone else had problems getting their "cashback by redemption" from mobiles.co.uk ?

Last year I made the mistake of buying a mobile phone, & contract, from mobiles.co.uk (my 1st ever contract & 1st non-high-street mobile phone).
    Mobiles.co.uk seemed to have some good offers.
    I bought a mobile from them with cash-back by redemption (you claim back some of your line-rental in stages - after 6 months, 9 months 12 months etc.).

1) A friend of mine pointed out a few of the pitfalls after I'd signed up
    i.e. You are automatically given 1 month free "Gadget Helpline" and "Phone Care" which you will have to pay for if you neglect/forget to cancel it.
    2) I had bought a "Clearance Phone" ... which, apparently means that someone else has bought it previously & sent it back as faulty (I should have known).
    After 4 or 5 trips to the CarPhoneWarehouse I was offered a replacement or discount on another mobile equal to the phone's value.
    3) I have sent a copy of my 6th month, 9th month & now my 12th month invoices from my network provider, but have not received a penny from mobiles.co.uk.

My husband also signed up for a deal with them at about the same time.
    He has received 1 cheque from them, so far, for the 2nd claim (i.e. months 7,8 & 9).
    Heaven knows why they paid him for that claim & not the previous 1 (or any of mine).

Anyone else having problems with them?

:-(
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All I know is that links to that co's site seem to be banned on Moneysavingexpert. Probably for a good reason.
  • bubblesmoney
    bubblesmoney Posts: 2,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have norton system works and trusteer security programs and my internet explorer has never been able to upload that websites inspite of trying to get to it many many times. i dont know if it is blocked at my end but i have not blocked it myself.
    bubblesmoney :hello:
  • mobiles.co.uk-scam
    Options
    Here's an update:

I sent my 12th month mobile phone bill to mobiles.co.uk to claim back the line-rental.
    Here's their reply:

To claim your discounted line rental, we would have needed
    to receive your bill dated 24th March 2010 by 23rd April
    2010, we received it 26th April 2010.

As per our terms and conditions the correct bill must be
    received by us within 30 days of the bill date.
    Unfortunately we are unable to authorise your claim.

Full details of our terms and conditions can be found on
    our website at:
    http:// www. mobiles.co .uk / free_gift_hplr.htm

If you follow the link to their terms & conditions,
    & click on "How to claim Discounted Line Rental"
    you'll see that customers have 60 days (not 30 days) to send in their phone bills.

Crooks?
  • OneADay
    OneADay Posts: 9,031 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    60 days is for people who signed up for contracts after Sep 16 2009.
    30 days is for those who signed up prior to that date.

There are two sets of T&C on their site.
  • DarkConvict
    DarkConvict Posts: 6,338 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    1) Read and understand contracts BEFORE agreeing to them

2) Clearance phones are not faulty, under SOGAs act ti would be illegal yo sell fault products without clearly stating the problem. Clearance is about removing excess stock or the sale of refurbished phones (non normal stock).
    Continious problems is just the pop luck of mobiles, under SOGA you should have been able to get it sorted although clearance means 30 days warranty.

3) Many people have fallen foul of the cashback claiming rules, although i will agree many people have sent on time by recorded delivery and still not been paid. In add to the confusion mobiles.co.uk did change the cashback terms to 60 days instead of 30 due to complaints but this only applies to new contracts.
    You may need to do a letter for action if you can prove you sent in your claims on time (recorded delivery numbers).

Generally i stay away from cashback deals now its hassle and risk wrapped up in one! Added to the fact 3rd party sellers have mis-sold me contracts in the past too doesn't help, i won the case against them.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    1) Read and understand contracts BEFORE agreeing to them

2) Clearance phones are not faulty, under SOGAs act ti would be illegal yo sell fault products without clearly stating the problem. Clearance is about removing excess stock or the sale of refurbished phones (non normal stock).
    Continious problems is just the pop luck of mobiles, under SOGA you should have been able to get it sorted although clearance means 30 days warranty.

3) Many people have fallen foul of the cashback claiming rules, although i will agree many people have sent on time by recorded delivery and still not been paid. In add to the confusion mobiles.co.uk did change the cashback terms to 60 days instead of 30 due to complaints but this only applies to new contracts.
    You may need to do a letter for action if you can prove you sent in your claims on time (recorded delivery numbers).

Generally i stay away from cashback deals now its hassle and risk wrapped up in one! Added to the fact 3rd party sellers have mis-sold me contracts in the past too doesn't help, i won the case against them.

DC - was it not the law that has changed, although they did change in advance of that?

Also, I can never understand why anyone can write "3) I have sent a copy of my 6th month, 9th month & now my 12th month invoices from my network provider, but have not received a penny from mobiles.co.uk." and not have done something about it before hand. Can't see MobileJunkie hanging on for that length of time with no action!!!! OP should have taken action way before now, if only to get a reply stating why Mobiles.co.uk seem to have "overlooked" the claims.

T&C are double edged and should be used by buyers as well as sellers.
  • DarkConvict
    DarkConvict Posts: 6,338 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Guys Dad is right, i do remember now the change was brought in due to the law. But as you say the change came in before it was mandatory.

A letter before action on cashback if followed correctly should have been sent off to mobiles.co.uk for the 1st cashback before the 2nd one had already failed.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
  • kte
    kte Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know everyone complains about them but I've had two different cashback contracts from mobiles.co.uk and never had any trouble getting the money. It certainly takes some organisation (I made notes on my calendar so I couldn't forget) but it is completely possible.

One thing they don't tend to tell you is that you can email them the phone bills (I used to download PDFs from T-mobile) so that saves on the recorded delivery psotage costs, and you can email them and get them to confirm that it has arrived.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport