Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    domcaz wrote: »
    Once you've cancelled and are on your 30 day notice, how long do you guys wait until you get your 50% offers? I've got the 40% offer online already, but would like 50% (or more!) off.

Phone or live chat with them.
  • sheffieldeagle
    Options
    HI

I'm currently paying £50 for the Sky Original Bundle, Sports Pack and HD Mix which runs until October. Looking at the current prices for these on a new 18 month contract the following prices apply:
    Original Bundle £22
    Sports Pack £20

My question is does anyone know the current price for the HD channels?

Many thanks
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Which ones do you have in mind?

Most HD channels on Sky come under three flavours:

1) The so-called "HD Pack" which is now the Sky Sports HD Pack - £6 extra a month on top of Sky Sports.
    2) Sky Cinema HD channels are no longer charged for separately, they're included in the price of Sky Cinema.
    3) Most of the other HD channels are part of the Family bundle automatically at no extra charge, itself is £6 more than Variety per month and £18 more per month than Original.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    HI

I'm currently paying £50 for the Sky Original Bundle, Sports Pack and HD Mix which runs until October. Looking at the current prices for these on a new 18 month contract the following prices apply:
    Original Bundle £22
    Sports Pack £20

My question is does anyone know the current price for the HD channels?

Many thanks
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Which ones do you have in mind?

Most HD channels on Sky come under three flavours:

1) The so-called "HD Pack" which is now the Sky Sports HD Pack - £6 extra a month on top of Sky Sports.
    2) Sky Cinema HD channels are no longer charged for separately, they're included in the price of Sky Cinema.
    3) Most of the other HD channels are part of the Family bundle automatically at no extra charge, itself is £6 more than Variety per month and £18 more per month than Original.

Isn't the HD Mix a legacy add-on so doesn't really have a 'current price'?

I think you need Boxsets for the HD content (except for Sports HD). All of which is wrong imo, as HD should be included in all packages.
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Isn't the HD Mix a legacy add-on so doesn't really have a 'current price'?

I think you need Boxsets for the HD content (except for Sports HD). All of which is wrong imo, as HD should be included in all packages.

Yeah its just another way of making money from Sky. I was surprised when they initially didnt give me Sports HD - I actually thought it was included in the 'HD boxsets package' by default and HD is HD no matter what!!!! Luckily they wrote me a letter and gave me Sports HD for free as long as I have the Sports package, which is another 7 or 8 months whenever my 75% deal ends :)

Sky know perfectly well the choice available to everyone and I'd happily make do with BBC Iplayer instead of Sky+ and Netflix IF I wanted to watch more TV shows. If I dont get a similar deal for myself next year come renewal time I'd happily exist without Sky TV. Its no great issue.
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just so people know, when I first cancelled my whole sky package they gave me an offer of £45 a month if I stayed which I declined. I've now got cold feet on moving to BT and rang them to say I would like to take up the offer (cancellation is in 2 weeks) and they won't give me it. Best they can do now is £54. They said it was cancellation dept that made that offer and I now am dealing with rejoining dept, even though I haven't actually left yet?!

Oh well live and learn. Looks like I'm off to BT after all...
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    Just so people know, when I first cancelled my whole sky package they gave me an offer of £45 a month if I stayed which I declined. I've now got cold feet on moving to BT and rang them to say I would like to take up the offer (cancellation is in 2 weeks) and they won't give me it. Best they can do now is £54. They said it was cancellation dept that made that offer and I now am dealing with rejoining dept, even though I haven't actually left yet?!

Oh well live and learn. Looks like I'm off to BT after all...

Try sky online chat and with luck, you will get someone in India..
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    shaggy wrote: »
    Let it switch off and the day after go on chat asking for a deal and ask for more than 50%

Just be aware that your VIP status will reset to 0 years if you allow the service to be disconnected, even for 1 day. I gave up black level offers for a 2 week break hoping to better the 60% offer I had pre turn off. I ended up with the 60% but clock reset to zero.
  • domcaz
    domcaz Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    pompeyrich wrote: »
    Just be aware that your VIP status will reset to 0 years if you allow the service to be disconnected, even for 1 day. I gave up black level offers for a 2 week break hoping to better the 60% offer I had pre turn off. I ended up with the 60% but clock reset to zero.

How did you get the 60% off pre turn off? I thought they only offered over 50% after turn off?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    domcaz wrote: »
    How did you get the 60% off pre turn off? I thought they only offered over 50% after turn off?

Not true, I got 60% plus credit last December 5 or 6 weeks before turn off. I then got discount and further credit in March on the LR/BB package when the prices went up. You just need to be persistent but very polite when communicating with them and to have all of your information including offers from other companies at hand ready and waiting. I put everything into a text document on my desktop so I can quote or copy & paste as needed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback