Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• Poundnote
    Poundnote Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    JerryW wrote: »
    Hey this is unfair, you guys are forcing me to compliment Calor again!
    ... Their contract is pretty comprehensive and covers 2 x A4 sheets. It is in plain English or at least is pretty readable. It clearly states what the possibilities are for termination by each party.
    I have a had a letter from them every two years as required, stating that the contract minimum term is completed and offering to renew it. Normally I get a quote or two from somewhere else (eg Extragas) then phone them up and ask them to match it and they do - I posted here the last couple of times.
    The contract does refer to the UKLPG codes of practice, and Calor do undertake to abide by them.

Think that about covers it?

Good - credit where credit is due and the Calor Knockers take note!

I have been with them 15 years and have always had courteous dealings and excellent service.
  • JerryW
    JerryW Posts: 298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Poundnote wrote: »

I have been with them 15 years and have always had courteous dealings and excellent service.

.. so that makes two of us, then :beer:

Calor are definitely willing to take you for a ride over price, but they are otherwise a reputable company and provided you read up here and act accordingly, they can deliver good value
    If what I said helped you, please "Thank" the relevant post. It cheers me up somewhat..
  • mcmullank
    mcmullank Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options

Calor are definitely willing to take you for a ride over price, but they are otherwise a reputable company and provided you read up here and act accordingly, they can deliver good value

A company that will try to make you pay over the market rate for their product (purely because the UK seems incapable of regulating the off-grid market) is not one that I would be happy to call a reputable company. Reputable companies offer transparent pricing. Do you happen to have a Calor price list for bulk deliveries?

The fact is that this company will quite happy lie to you about when they purchased gas to justify the prices to customers. This is regardless of the price you are on be it 40ppl or 60ppl.

I am not sure how the sales people act now but when I purchased my property they used an empty tank as a bargaining chip to get you to sign a contract, again not very reputable.

These companies will do absolutely nothing for the consumer unless forced to eg. allowing tank transfers, 2 year contracts instead of 5. Even in the case of tank transfers, the CC came up with a formula for tank pricing for transferring supplier. Calor (not sure about others) will not allow you to purchase the tank based on this formula as the order does not explicity state that it must be made available to consumers.

Reputable - don't make me laugh.

Rant over....
  • mcmullank
    Options
    I have seen the UKLPG mentioned many times in relation to codes of practice etc.

UKLPG are the trade body for LPG suppliers in the UK, don't mistake them for the LPG equivalent of a regulator.

As an example, if you were to look at the UKLPG answer to this straight forward question:

"Can I own my own bulk LPG tank?"

The answer to the question is "Yes, as long as it is properly maintained". However, here is the UKLPG answer

"In its Final Report on the LP Gas Domestic Bulk Inquiry (29 June 2006) the Competition Commission (CC) confirmed that it had considered a number of remedies including customer ownership of tanks before concluding that tank transfer between suppliers was, in its opinion, the appropriate remedy. The CC accepted arguments from LP Gas suppliers, against customer ownership of tanks and concluded that, whilst it might remedy certain competition law issues the CC had with the tank uplift integrated supply model, customer ownership of tanks was not an appropriate remedy for safety-related reasons."

Without blatently telling untruths, this response tells you all you need to know about where this organisation's loyalties are.
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 March 2015 at 5:34PM
    Options
    mcmullank wrote: »
    I have seen the UKLPG mentioned many times in relation to codes of practice etc.

UKLPG are the trade body for LPG suppliers in the UK, don't mistake them for the LPG equivalent of a regulator.

As an example, if you were to look at the UKLPG answer to this straight forward question:

"Can I own my own bulk LPG tank?"

The answer to the question is "Yes, as long as it is properly maintained". However, here is the UKLPG answer

"In its Final Report on the LP Gas Domestic Bulk Inquiry (29 June 2006) the Competition Commission (CC) confirmed that it had considered a number of remedies including customer ownership of tanks before concluding that tank transfer between suppliers was, in its opinion, the appropriate remedy. The CC accepted arguments from LP Gas suppliers, against customer ownership of tanks and concluded that, whilst it might remedy certain competition law issues the CC had with the tank uplift integrated supply model, customer ownership of tanks was not an appropriate remedy for safety-related reasons."

Without blatently telling untruths, this response tells you all you need to know about where this organisation's loyalties are.

Several people have posted that tank ownership is no problem. But as some suppliers change tanks at 20 years for a complete refurb it's good to buy a new or relatively new tank. An independent which wanted to sell tanks to users was warned off by UKLPG (and as Calor is the biggest supplier it has the biggest voice in UKLPG, the trade association). I've posted a few times on tank ownership when a forum user has asked but I always quote:
    I own My own tank, thanks to the previous owners son being an Area manager for Shellgas, which says a lot about costs.
    from 'The Q' in 2010 in http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=31830809&postcount=185

The Competition Commission team appeared to be keen to have users owning their own tanks and shopping around for the best price for each fill. The (redacted) responses from the suppliers to this suggestion in a draft doc makes interesting reading!

Addition. Here's a long-term tank-owner, molokoid:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=60719267&postcount=1983
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 March 2015 at 6:02PM
    Options
    Poundnote wrote: »

A post from HateLPG in 2010 about his (nearly) £1000 refund from Calor after they ignored their contract and overcharged:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=33132999&postcount=102

BTW I really don't want to get into a flame-war over any particular supplier. I'm more interested in seeing if the industry is ignoring parts of the Competition Commission's report - and if it is then we, as users, can ask the CMA to remind the industry. Members of this forum (and the forum itself) have a long history of working with the (stunningly weak and usually ineffectual) quasi-regulatory bodies, and with MPs and others. There are thousands of bulk LPG users for whom the LPG 'market' has not materially changed as a result of the CC report. Just a few discover this forum... their posts make interesting reading!

I'd be grateful if people posted about getting the 'wake-up letter' a month, or so, before their 2 year contract ends. See my post #2451. So far we have had info on Extra Fuel, Avanti and Calor.
  • mcmullank
    edited 4 March 2015 at 6:41PM
    Options
    Littlevermin

Although I am no longer in contract, I did not receive notice from Calor about the ability to switch when the contract expired. This was a couple of years ago now so it may be that they have changed practices.

On the same general topic, I don't get any invoices from Calor. They send me a statement once a month (actually they e-mail me notification that a statement is available). I never used to think anything of it as I just pay to the statements. The cynic in me now can see a reason why this would be the case. Anything to try and stop customers knowing they can move!!!

In relation to tank ownership. My tank is now 30 years old and has not been inspected in the last 14 years. So much for abiding by the UKLPG code of practice.
  • dch222
    dch222 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Changing Supplier Not Always that Straightforward

A few weeks ago I posted on here (2376), wondering why I was still paying Calor 56p/litre for LPG when the wholesale price has been falling for a year. At that time Calor had only promised that there would be no price increase in April.

Lots of advice was forthcoming and I was surprised to discover the number of suppliers whose prices were significantly lower – over 40% lower in some cases.
    I found there were five suppliers who covered my area and they all quoted me very reasonable prices.

However, only one of them was prepared to actually deliver, because my tank position was not compliant with the latest (2011?) regulations, being very close to a boundary fence. It has been like that for 30 years and has never troubled Calor – they probably fitted it originally.

So, although changing supplier has been made a lot easier, it may still be difficult for the many users who have older installations.

During the changeover Calor did then offer me £100 to renew my contract, £200 worth of free gas and a considerably reduced rate thereafter, but I stuck by my decision to change and have just had my first delivery at 32p/litre.
    Of course this does expose me to the possibility of being left high and dry should that supplier decide to cease delivery to my rural location for any reason.

• WhiteFiverMan
    Options
    Avoid FLOGAS like the plague...

We have been waiting for over 2 months to be credited back £692.88 that was taken out of our account IN January. Every time we phone Flogas, we get an apology and saying, they will definitely get it sorted, and that the phone call is recorded... bla bla bla... This is ridiculous and we have no one to turn to , to complain!
  • HateLPG
    HateLPG Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nothing terribly unexpected - the price has gone back up (wholesale price per tonne has gone increased by nearly 30% before any currency fluctuations are taken into account)

As an interesting aside, to those who are interested, the ANSI price last month was the lowest since January 2009 and was beaten only by a ten-year low price in December 2008.

lpg_price_info.php?m=201503&v=2
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure