🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• H0Ls
    H0Ls Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    H0Ls wrote: »
    Hi All,

We have recently moved into a house with an LPG tank which is owned by Calor but not under contract. The contractual rate we have been offered by Calor is dreadful so we don't want to stay with them. The cheapest contract we have been offered is with flogas, but having read reviews on this site they don't seem like a good option so at the
    Moment our preferred company is Cardiff gas, but it is much cheaper with them if you own your own tank. Does anybody else own there own tank and is this the most cost effective way to buy LPG? We would really like to move the tank so presumably if we own it this would be much easier?

Any advice greatly received as we are new to LPG!

Thank you!

Does anybody own their own tank?
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 January 2014 at 2:02AM
    Options
    H0Ls wrote: »
    Hi All,

We have recently moved into a house with an LPG tank which is owned by Calor but not under contract. The contractual rate we have been offered by Calor is dreadful so we don't want to stay with them. The cheapest contract we have been offered is with flogas, but having read reviews on this site they don't seem like a good option so at the
    Moment our preferred company is Cardiff gas, but it is much cheaper with them if you own your own tank. Does anybody else own there own tank and is this the most cost effective way to buy LPG? We would really like to move the tank so presumably if we own it this would be much easier?

Any advice greatly received as we are new to LPG........

Welcome to the forum...and the magic world of LPG.

I posted about owning your own tank last November: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=63676643&postcount=2121

Some comments* following my post can be replied to here: OFT has no view on tank-ownership, I believe ..but major suppliers were very strongly against it when the Competition Commission suggested it in 2004-06 (the suppliers' names have been redacted but all the stuff is in the National Archives** now, if you've a spare hour or two. Basically, I believe, the big suppliers didn't want users to have the freedom to shop around).

There's no problem with the annual inspection - so long as you get a fill at least once a year (yes, the tanker driver does this - and on my delivery ticket he has to sign off doing it. It's a visual and sniff test!). The 10 yr test has to be done by a qualified Gas Safe engineer (qualified for LPG, that is): Cardiff Gas, etc will point you in the right direction. These guys also work for the majors, and do tests for mobile home estates, etc. You keep the test certificates (you've paid for the tests. £250 or so rings a bell - but you need to check!) and can show these to suppliers.

Everything posted on the forum about Cardiff Gas has been very positive - why not give them a ring? I'm sure they'll point you in the direction of an engineer they like!

At least one person has bought an in-situ tank from their suppliers (it would take a long time to find the post(s)!). There's a price formula produced by the Competition Commission*** - normally used for supplier to supplier transactions. I wouldn't buy a tank unless it was relatively new (suppliers often remove tanks at 20 yrs for a major refurb ..though tanks can, and do, go on much longer). I wouldn't buy a tank if there wasn't a range of independent suppliers available - we know what the majors think about users owning their own tanks!

And, BTW, there are H&S laws but the main thing 'governing' bulk tanks is the industry's (i.e. UKLPG - the trade association) CoP (Codes of Practice). HateLPG got a letter back from HSE in response to a query in 2011: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=42205844&postcount=844

* by Seraphinaoflondon, PaulF81 aand shambly
    ** http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http:/www.competition-commission.org.uk/inquiries/current/gas/
    *** in here (Schedule 1): http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/inquiries/current/gas/lpg_order_final.pdf
  • td_100
    td_100 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    New2lpg wrote: »
    Hi, I've just moved into a house in West Sussex and am new to bulk tanks. Currently have avanti gas tank in my garden which holds 1000L . The previous owner paid for his gas once it had been delivered. I would much rather pay each month on a direct debit. Just wondering how they work out your usage? Our price so far is 45ppl. Is this good? Thanks

I have signed up to Lima Gas at 42ppl (current price) and they are based in Southampton so should cover West Sussex, give them a try. Its early days for me but they seem to offer a personal service and are keen to gain market share.
  • MarieVW
    MarieVW Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 6 February 2014 at 11:36AM
    Options
    We've just signed up with Calor for 39ppl fixed for 12 months plus £250 cashback

and a 3p cap at 6 month intervals for the 2nd year

We use about 3000-4000 litres a year and we are in west Sussex (RH12)

Flogas quoted me 40ppl and £175
  • HateLPG
    HateLPG Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    Prices still going in the same direction, which is good. Long may that continue. :j

lpg_price_info.php?v=2&m=20140201
  • Lpgnewbie
    Options
    Lima Gas tracker prices for 2014 :
    January 42ppl
    February 40ppl
  • td_100
    td_100 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Lpgnewbie wrote: »
    Lima Gas tracker prices for 2014 :
    January 42ppl
    February 40ppl

Indeed good news!
  • Twitcher2013
    Options
    Being a sceptic about something seeming too good to be true I just wondered if anyone out there is supplied by Cardiff gas. No contract, tracks lpg rates only downside is pay outright. Anyone had any experience of them? Seem lovely when I phoned them. Tank is 20 p/day so slightly more pricey than majors but 45ppl currently.

Hopefully shopping will have paid off but wanted to put feelers out before we arranged it. Recent prices quoted by calor in Gloucestershire (so neath depot) were 48ppl with one year fixed and 16.8p day tank with 3.5p / 6 month period 'cap' which they say they have put up by each time. A anti were 43.4ppl 12mth lock in with a 5p cap per 6 months if this helps anyone!
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 February 2014 at 9:26PM
    Options
    Being a sceptic about something seeming too good to be true I just wondered if anyone out there is supplied by Cardiff gas. No contract, tracks lpg rates only downside is pay outright. Anyone had any experience of them? Seem lovely when I phoned them. Tank is 20 p/day so slightly more pricey than majors but 45ppl currently.

Hopefully shopping will have paid off but wanted to put feelers out before we arranged it. Recent prices quoted by calor in Gloucestershire (so neath depot) were 48ppl with one year fixed and 16.8p day tank with 3.5p / 6 month period 'cap' which they say they have put up by each time. A anti were 43.4ppl 12mth lock in with a 5p cap per 6 months if this helps anyone!
    Welcome to the forum! I think a forum user called drfrot would recommend Cardiff Gas:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=46686021&postcount=1002
    and:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=55436495&postcount=1635

To quote from the second post, in August 2012:

I've said it all before in previous posts, but will reiterate that if Cardiff Gas appear on your list of potential suppliers, you should grab that opportunity with both hands!

And: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=53108417&postcount=1461

Another independent supplier who has had such strong recommendation is HBS (for people living in Hampshire. Again, no 2 year lock-in contract required).

[PS thanks for the prices from Calor and Avantigas]
  • HateLPG
    HateLPG Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    Being a sceptic about something seeming too good to be true I just wondered if anyone out there is supplied by Cardiff gas. No contract, tracks lpg rates only downside is pay outright.

If you look at the graph (latest is here) you will see that Cardiff Gas prices track wholesale. Ish! Which, IMHO is a actually a GOOD thing.

What the chart shows is that they do NOT react immediately to every little twitch in wholesale price, but it is pretty clear that as far as possible, they try to smooth the price out over the year. The (slight) downside is that on some occasions you might may a slightly greater margin over wholesale, but this is more or less balanced by the times that you will be paying a slightly smaller margin. But what it DOES mean is that you are far less likely to get an unpleasant surprise. And of course, their pricing is transparent and the latest prices are available online on the Cardiff Gas microsite.

As with most (if not all) of the independents, I suspect they wont offer any kind of tank telemetry system, but will rely on a combination of previous usage history, applied common sense or a call from the customer to schedule a delivery. When I first moved to such a system, I was admittedly a little nervous, but is really is not a problem as by-and-large it seems they can predict usage pretty reliably.

You also have the REAL benefit of being able to pick up the phone and speak to someone who cares and (over time) may even get to "know" you, rather than some large, impersonal, couldn't-care-less-that-the-price-has-skyrocketed call-centre!

I'd say go for it - you've got nothing to lose and a lot to gain.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure