Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• SD-253
    SD-253 Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    GrandadRob wrote: »
    They have quoted me 47ppl.....guaranteed for six months, then 3ppl limit for another six months, or contract get-out. Tank rental for my overground tank is £60 pa. I guess that the difference between me and Ozzysmate is down to usage. Mine is 1500-2000, whereas his is around 3000. Waiting for bubble bursting comments...

Waiting for bubble bursting comments...
    And this is it I said I used to 2600 ppl a year. Uhm maybe I would have if I did not have a wood burner and a whole years supply of wood. Anywhere in your contract where it says you will be held to that figure? No so why tell them 1500-2000. I mean its not as if you can say for certain is it. I have used 700 in the last 12 months. I am retired so 2600 is reasonable?
    My view is always the same negotiate LPG price once you have that sorted then negotiate tank rental. And of course check the contract. Do this in person if you can. The people over the phone do not seem to be salespeople therefore they are reading from script (more or less)
    Ohh and hide the wood burner!!
  • DAVID.T_3
    Options
    HateLPG wrote: »
    I had exactly the same problem when I changed supplier last year. I explicitly questioned the tank siting when I signed my original contract with Calor in 2007. They said that as they had previously been supplying to the tank and that it was "to spec" when installed, they would have no problem with continuity of supply. They held to this argument come renewal time last year.

I suspect the true situation is subtly different and quite insidious. This is all supposition, but maybe an industry insider (errr, that would be David.T, then) could shed some light on how close to the mark (or otherwise) this argument is:

1. The existing supplier will already hold certification to prove that (at some time in the past), the tank was legal. As they hold this proof, they tend to turn a "blind eye" in order to keep the customer, knowing that because of this the customer is effectivley tied to them until such times as the tank is re-sited (at the customer's cost). This could almost be viewed as a "hidden uplift" clause tying the consumer to a single supplier as per the bad old (Pre CC) days.
    2. Any new supplier will have a legal duty to audit the site and raise the paperwork to confirm that the tank is (to use British Gas' favourite term) "to current standards". As such, they are in no position to turn a "blind eye" and must therefore either refuse the business, or insist that the customer brings the tank into line with current regulations.
    Over to you, David.T!

It is true that if I were to receive a call from someone wishing to swap to me and the tank was not sited correctly, I would not wish to take on that tank until it meets the standard required. But so far I have not found many where we have had this problem.

I do not think the rules have really changed at all in the last 20 years, I think what has changed is gas companies now abide by them!! and HSE who until 2 years ago had no interest whatsoever in LPG have become very interested.

(did you know when HSE visit us we have to pay them for the time they spend working on our company. 1 Visit = £4,000 amazingly, now they can charge us, they come far more often)
  • HateLPG
    HateLPG Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DAVID.T wrote: »
    I do not think the rules have really changed at all in the last 20 years, I think what has changed is gas companies now abide by them!! and HSE who until 2 years ago had no interest whatsoever in LPG have become very interested.

Thank you for that clarification - it all makes perfect sense!

But it does raise another interesting point:

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Ozzysmate's tank indeed had proved not to be to "specification", where would the liability for rectifying it fall?

Clearly, the user (Ozzy's Pal in this case) would have to foot the bill, but presumably, he would have cause to seek compensation from the company that failed to install it correctly as per the legal requirements? Whether or not it would be worth the hassle and expense of suing is another matter entirely, but I suspect that in principle, he would have a pretty good case!
  • HateLPG
    Options
    Juat a final gentle reminder for anyone who might be thinking of making a submission to the OFT Off Grid Energy Market Study, but hasn't yet got round to sending or emailing them anything:
    The closing date for submissions is 28th February 2011
    Purpose of the study
    The aim of this study is to examine the supply of energy to consumers who are not connected to the main gas grid to ensure that they are working well.

Next steps
    We will be gathering evidence from key players in the heating oil, LPG and renewable micro-generation industries as well as surveying consumers about their experiences. Interested parties can contact us by email at [EMAIL="offgrid@oft.gsi.gov.uk"]offgrid@oft.gsi.gov.uk[/EMAIL] or by writing to us at:
    Off Grid Energy Market Study
    Office of Fair Trading
    Floor 2C
    Fleetbank House
    2 - 6 Salisbury Square
    London EC4Y 8JX
  • Ozzysmate
    Ozzysmate Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 February 2011 at 11:50AM
    Options
    David T. was right about tank position. My detached garage which is one metre from the tank, and inbetween the tank and the house, because it has no windows or doors on that side, counts as a blast wall, and is acceptable. Although they will have to inspect.

Good news on the tank :)
    They have quoted me 47ppl.....guaranteed for six months, then 3ppl limit for another six months, or contract get-out. Tank rental for my overground tank is £60 pa. I guess that the difference between me and Ozzysmate is down to usage. Mine is 1500-2000, whereas his is around 3000. I have got them coming for a site inpection in about 10 days, but nothing signed as yet.

I had the Shell rep. visit for a site inspection yesterday. Pleasant chap who made a couple of suggestions like clean out the accumulated earth from around the top of the tank where the control valves sit and also, I have a box, screwed to the outside of the garage wall which houses the gas shut off valve. He'd like to see that altered to enable more, ready access in the event of a fire. Fair comments!

Having looked more closely at my usage history, I realised I was a little over when estimating the 3-3,500L/annum and it was more like 2,500L. He wasn't too worried as, he said, their price break point was the 2,000L mark. Where it would impact, in my case, would be with the monthly DD, which of course, is assessed on estimated use.

Tank rental seems non-negotiable and is just a fixed price of £60 for overground and £100 for buried.

I just hope there's no feet dragging with the paperwork as I'm perilously close to empty. I wonder how the level guage works? If it's on a float, is it calibrated to take the tank shape into account, i.e. is it reading percentage of tank volume or of liquid level? The volume/height is considerably less at the top and bottom than the middle and I'm at <8% :eek:
  • GrandadRob
    GrandadRob Posts: 91 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2011 at 6:21PM
    Options
    Ozziesmate. I did the same thing as you, overstated my usage to get a better figure. But Wife has just reminded me of the rest of the conversation, which you NEED to know.

Whilst it is a Direct Debit, it is NOT the usual monthly collection as with other utilities. The Shell rep explained to me that it is there just to collect the bill EACH TIME FOLLOWING A DELIVERY. It is NOT collected monthly. They send you a bill, but instead of waiting for your cheque etc, the bill says WE WILL TAKE THIS FROM YOUR ACCOUNT (in one lump) ON....date....so make sure the money is there etc.
  • HateLPG
    Options
    Ozziesmate. I did the same thing as you, overstated my usage to get a better figure. But Wife has just reminded me of the rest of the conversation, which you NEED to know.

Whilst it is a Direct Debit, it is NOT the usual monthly collection as with other utilities. The Shell rep explained to me that it is there just to collect the bill EACH TIME FOLLOWING A DELIVERY. It is NOT collected monthly. They send you a bill, but instead of waiting for your cheque etc, the bill says WE WILL TAKE THIS FROM YOUR ACCOUNT (in one lump) ON....date....so make sure the money is there etc.

Unless Shell have very recently changed their policy (or you've specifically chosen NOT to do the monthly budget payment thingy - e.g. ticked the wrong box on the contract form), I can't see why you shouldn't be able to pay a set amount each month by Direct Debit. I'm with Shell and that's exactly how I make my payments!!
  • GrandadRob
    Options
    I haven't actually seen a contract yet, let alone ticked boxes or signed. This all came from a couple of calls to the Shell rep, a lady by the name of Emma. She started off by saying that using DD would save me one penny per litre.... I am not a fan of DD in advance, my electricity company have over £50 of mine in their bank already. But it was, she, who then went on to explain the bill followed by use of the DD. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't let me pay monthly should I choose. But I personally am happy with the way she wanted it. I will be checking that part of the contract as well as all the other very very small print...
  • Dee0
    Dee0 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to the whole LPG bulk buying world. Last December we moved into a house in West Wales with a tank already installed. We had the tank filled just before the worst of the weather hit at a cost of £520 - 49.9ppl without a contract or anything. That was a shock as we were used to mains gas prices! Anyway, we're almost out now and our gas company, West Wales Gas, has sent us a welcome pack with various delivery and payment options and a 2 year contract with a £52 +VAT standing charge.

So my questions are - should I go for a regular 8 - 12 week top up service or call them when ready? Is there a 'best' time of the year to buy in bulk? If the prices rise so quickly (looking at earlier posts) it sounds like the regular top up might make more sense. I've looked on various gas websites and the prices quoted on the home pages are in the 51ppl region so is it even worth haggling?

We're going to insulate the roof properly and install a log burner so our gas use should drop I hope.

Thanks
  • HateLPG
    edited 2 March 2011 at 4:55PM
    Options
    Hi Dee0 - welcome to the "Wonderful World of LPG"™

First of all, I would suggest that you read this thread as fully as your time and perseverance will allow. Good and impartial information on domestic LPG is hard to come by. There's a lot of good information and advice posted here and I think it's fair to say that most of the contributors have got a pretty good idea of what is going on in the LPG market and how it works (I'm sure you'll spot the inevitable Trolls and troublemakers easily enough on your way!)

Your tank will currently be owned by your supplier (West Wales Gas). Even though you are not currently bound by any contract, it is unlikely that any other supplier will offer to supply you unless you sign a contract with them and they take ownership of the tank. Likewise, although West Wales Gas were happy to make a "one off" initial delivery given that you had only just moved in, they are unlikely to be prepared to make any further deliveries until you sign a contract with them. Any contract you sign will be for two years - that is the maximum period permitted by the Competition Commission, and I am unaware of any company offering contracts for less than that maximum period!

There are a few things in particular that you probably need to be aware of. Most of this is buried in this thread in one place or another, but I think it would be useful to highlight these points here for you and for others in a similar situation:

• It's hard to say what a "good" LPG price is (or should be) at the best of times. Given the current political situation in North Africa, that just got a whole heap more difficult. That situation probably shouldn't have a disastrous impact on the price of LPG here as the UK is a net exporter. But given the way the market operates, only the naive would bet on LPG prices not going up as a direct consequence. I would argue that a current "fair price" would probably be somewhere in the 45-50ppl range, but then I have a "consumer's" perspective. David.T who posts here (and who's opinion seems by-and-large to be respected) is looking at things from a "supplier's" perspective and would probably suggest about 5ppl more than that would be a current "fair" price (i.e. 50-55ppl);
    • You need to haggle over price. Difficult in the current economic climate, but that's no reason not to try;
    • Don't be fooled by the websites out there claiming to offer "the best price for you area" - by all means use that price as a "benchmark", but do NOT accept the "best price" claim at face value;
    • To find potential suppliers, your best initial port of call is probably the uklpg supplier search tool (http://www.uklpg.org/supplier-search/). But be aware, that lists only suppliers that are paid-up uklpg members. If you are lucky, you may be able to find further local suppliers in addition to those offered by uklpg, so more homework could be required on that score;
    • As far as West Wales Gas is concerned, that is a trading name of Budget Gas, who are in turn wholly owned by Calor. They "claim" complete independence. I can't comment on the validity of that claim, but probably better you know the situation from the outset;
    • As far as other suppliers go, there are four major players: Calor, Flogas, Shell and BP. There is a tendency among members of this forum to feel that you are more likely to get a better deal from one of the smaller independent suppliers. On the other hand, I think you would be hard-pressed to get ANY forum member to put in a positive word for Flogas!
    • There is a general feeling amongst posters on this thread that you are more likely to get a better price if you get the company rep to visit and try to negotiate face-to-face, rather than just accepting any price that you might be offered if you simply phone for a quote. Personally, in the first instance, I would phone and ask all potential suppliers to drop a copy of their contract in the post. Only once I had read the contract and satisfied myself that I was prepared to accept its terms would I ask a rep to visit to discuss the pricing detail etc. Understanding the contract in advance will also put you in a stronger negotiating position;
    • LPG contracts from different suppliers can be hugely different. Read and understand the small print carefully before you sign anything. Particularly, look for clauses limiting the price rise or offering you the chance to terminate your contract should the price rise too steeply. Any contract that does not offer such provision is almost certain to be an "unfair contract" in law;
    • The domestic LPG Market is currently unregulated. What this means in practice is that there is no Watchdog to ensure that companies "play by the rules". Not all supply companies are bad, but some are very definitely worse (and more unscrupulous) than others;
    • The supply of off-grid energy was recently referred to the OFT by Charles Hendry. Closing dates for submissions were last Monday (28 Feb) and a report on initial findings is expected in about 6 weeks. Nothing will move fast after that - if the OFT feel there is need for further investigations or other measures, they will most likely make a referral to the Competition Commission. If the last referral (2004) is anything to go by, it will quite possibly be 4-5 years before there is any tangible result from any competition commission intervention;
    • Depending on where you are and on the nature of your property, expected usage etc etc, it might be worth also looking into Solar panels and/or heat pumps or other renewable energy solutions as an alternative method of heating. Solar Photovoltaic (PV) panels and a heat pump could be a financially attractive route given the new Feed-in Tarifs due to come into force shortly. There are plenty of threads and websites discussing these technologies, so I won't elaborate further here, save to say take professional advice, and if you do want to consider these altebatives, try not to sign a two-year LPG contract until you have investigated them fully. I would also "refrain" from telling any potential LPG supplier that you might be considering such options for the future as any price you are quoted will be dependent on your projected annual usage.

Anyway, that's probably enough verbiage for now!

Good luck, and please let us know how you get on.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback