Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• lpg_2
    lpg_2 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Try extra fuels they seem ok.
  • overide
    overide Posts: 72 Forumite
    edited 20 July 2009 at 2:03PM
    Options
    Checked them (discount gas supplies of Doncaster) My present price with Flogas is 40.89p + VAT they want 33p + VAT tank rental the same £60 a year.

Just had the same quote from them. This would save me almost £200 a year against flogas. We are using about 2500 litres per year.
  • abigbill
    abigbill Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been ripped off for years. Burn 8000+ a year so it hurts. But push hard and they do move. 33ppl 13ppd Tank In Bucks Flogas. Did have me at 53 ppl. Jeez!
  • LPG_info
    Options
    What liabilities are there if you own your own tank - LPG has a bigger bang than oil if the tank is not looked after. Also does your house insurance cover it or do you need more than that?
  • msmo_2
    msmo_2 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Good question LPG-Info
    whats the answer, were user too and sick of the price Increase.
  • CornerHouse
    Options
    DicDu wrote: »
    Have a look at lpgwatch - unfortunately the forum won't allow me to type in the link, but that should get you there. This site is unfortunately not hugely active, but there is some useful info on there, for example prices currently being quoted to a couple of contributors who did a ring round of Calor, Flogas, BP, Shell, etc. Prices per litre vary from 30p to 39.5p plus VAT, plus day or annual rent (but some will waive). So Paulpod, your 39p + VAT + 21.9p rent is at the top end of the scale.

The forum at lpgwatch is down today (phpBB is not installed) - it looks like this site isn't actively maintained.
  • snafu_2
    snafu_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 21 August 2009 at 11:04AM
    Options
    I've been following this thread since February when I moved into a small new-build g/f apartment. It's a 1 bedroom retirement box, with 'low outgoings'. The development is serviced by Calor with a very large shared LPG tank.

When I moved in the service was already connected, but calls to Calor about prices got me nowhere, I was told to talk to my 'rep'. What rep? After five months of getting nowhere Calor wrote to me offering me LPG at 38.5p a litre, plus 5% vat, and a daily charge of 16.5p, plus vat.

I phoned around other suppliers and got the price down to 33p a litre ( Hampshire) but Calor wouldn't budge, after all - there are 25 other houses on the development sharing the same tank - I'd never get an agreement to switch from most of them.

I phoned Calor and told them I'd be happy to pay the going rate of 33p. They said they'd look into it and let me know.

A week later I had a letter saying that their previous offer of LPG at 38.5p 'was a mistake' and the price was now 44.5p + vat = 47p a litre. The daily standing charge was correct. They also said they wanted £90.00 a month direct debit to pay for the gas. It's a 1 bedroom 48 sq metre new build apartment. Calor's response feels like punitive extortion for daring to challenge their pricing

I've told Calor to disconnect their meter. Fortunately I didn't sign a contract with them when I moved in. I've had a wet electric boiler installed for £400, and put the flat on Economy Ten.

Not having the Calor standing charge will itself save £68 per year, I calculated the heating losses for the flat, and figured at 0C I'll need about 2.8 Kw for each room in winter - if I heat every room. But I live in Hampshire - where it's rarely that cold for long and the flat is very well insulated.

I'll also save on the annual service and inspection charge for the gas boiler of £160.00, plus the eventual replacement of it in 10 years. (£1000-£1500 = about £100 per year) The electric boiler or pump could go wrong, though.

Dealing with Calor is awful. Their customer service number was answered twice, by the rudest person I've spoken to in a long time. I've decided I can get by without them even if, with Economy 10, my bills are a little higher.

I don't think they will be. I have an Owl energy monitor and for the last two months I've used £35.00 worth of juice a month, a little over a pound per day. I'm not abstemious; I use a dishwasher daily, and the washing machine twice a week. I shower or bathe every day. I have put timers on everything to use cheap-rate juice.

The electric bill may double in winter, but we'll see. It won't be the £90.00 a month that Calor wanted, in addition to my electricity and water bills.:p
  • Steve17
    Steve17 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Good for you Snafu, I too have had enough of Calor.
    I have been with them for 9 years and their prices are nothing but a rip off and when you try to get it reduced its always been pay the price or go without.
    This time last year it was 37.2p per litre then rocketed to 44.25 from October blaming high oil price.
    The oil price then started to drop to a 3 year low but Calor refused to lower their price.
    However as the April 13 new rules got closer they dropped their price to 38.9 no where near enough but they wouldn't budge.
    But at last I have found a supplier who will deliver to my area (Lincolnshire/ Notts border) a family business from Doncaster, Discount gas supplies at 34p and the same tank rental £65 per year.
    So I filled in the switch form, 2 days later I got a phone call at 8.30 am from a very polite man from Calor informing me that they are about to reduce the price for my area.
    There are 118 houses here all on lpg and another estate about 2 miles away and now they have competition.
    He didn't say how much the reduction is going to be and I told him I wasn't interested and that I am switching no matter what.
    I hope that Calor and Flogas are hit hard they have had it too good for too long.
  • albyota
    albyota Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    Options
    absolute rip off sheisters, get rid of LPG and replace with an Air Source Heat Pump boiler......
    There are three types of people in this world...those that can count ...and those that can't! ;)

* The Bitterness of Low Quality is Long Remembered after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten!
  • shicks
    Options
    Countrywide have quoted 34.3p, and then rang back to quote 33.3p / litre. Really friendly and easy to ring back. Flippin expensive, but there you go! I ordered...
    Shell said we were too rural to be competitive and didn't even quote.
    Calor are rubbish to get hold of! So didn't want to go down that route...
    What are other folk paying at the moment?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback