Reclaim Unfair Bank Charges Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Tiggerhoney
    Options
    Katuska wrote:
    Fair enough, then you really don't have to wait on them, file your claim.
    ok, is that through the moneyclaim site?
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ok, is that through the moneyclaim site?

Yes, this is probably the easiest way.
  • barsiem_2
    Options
    I got this email from cahoot this morning after sending in LBA - does any one have experience of this and what should I do. Do I write to the address below or just go to MCOL after allotted time?? HELP!

Thanks so much.

Thank you for your letter dated 29th January which I received this morning.

I appreciate the points you've raised in your letter and can confirm that the charges levied contribute towards our costs for administering delinquent and overlimit accounts. cahoot's Debt Management Team are dedicated to ensuring that accounts are brought back within their agreed limits and make arrangements and manual payments to clear arrears.

I've considered this matter carefully and am not in a position to refund the charges you've incurred. This is my final response in relation to this matter.

If you wish to escalate your complaint you will now be required to write to Abbey's Stage 2 complaints team. This department is an autonomous body within Abbey who will review your complaint on an independent basis. If you decide to write to them please state that cahoot has issued its final response in relation to this matter and please quote my name so that the relevant paperwork can be quickly obtained.

Stage 2 Complaints
    Abbey
    PO Box 911
    Central Milton Keynes
    MK9 1AD

Stage 2 Complaints will review the details of your case and carry out its own investigation. In the unlikely event that you are still dissatisfied you can write to the Financial Services Ombudsman at the address below.

South Quay Plaza
    183 Marsh Wall
    London
    E14 9SR

If you have any further queries or wish to discuss anything in greater depth, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Mike Quinn
    Service Relationship Manager, cahoot
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    barsiem wrote:
    I got this email from cahoot this morning after sending in LBA - does any one have experience of this and what should I do. Do I write to the address below or just go to MCOL after allotted time?? HELP!

If you have followed all the steps up to MCOL stage. Issue your court claim next without contacting the bank anymore.

The reply you have been sent is a godsend for you (and a mistake on their part). I think it must have been written by someone not dealing with these claims, they have handed you (and other Cahoot customers) a fantastic point for your case in court.......

I appreciate the points you've raised in your letter and can confirm that the charges levied contribute towards our costs for administering delinquent and overlimit accounts.

This statement is admitting they are using these charges to fund other peoples accounts. This is unlawful. They are only allowed to charge you what your own actions cost them concerning your own account. This is excellent news for you!!!
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I appreciate the points you've raised in your letter and can confirm that the charges levied contribute towards our costs for administering delinquent and overlimit accounts.

This is a small revelation from Cahoot. They have pretty much shot themselves in the foot with any future defence as they've unwittingly admitted unlawfully charging.
  • barsiem_2
    Options
    Thanks Rex! I will go ahead on schedule with MCOL. I was getting charges every month for being only a little over the limit and of course this escalated month by month - so that their charges were causing me to be charged.
    Thanks for every bit of support and information I have received on this site I am confronting my debts and the banks' bully boy tactics which have made my life miserable and debts FAR worse than they might have been!
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,566 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Matty73 wrote:
    Bank: Halifax
    Amount Claimed: £1,100
    Amount Back: £1,000

Intially said no to my claim, but then when I said I'd have no problem with going to court and adding interest they offered me £500, I said no to that as I didn't feel it was fair enough then they offered me £1,000 so I took it!

Matty.
    Currently £42,000 in debt could no longer cope, contacted CCCS and now I'm working to sort everything out a long road......but worth it!!!
    Good luck for the future and keep going.
    You know you will always find support here among msers.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Bibsy
    Options
    Hi All,
    I'd be very grateful for some advice - I'm currently adding up everythin I've been charged by Lloyds TSB over the past 6 years....
    I'm slightly confused by the exact terms used - on the guidelines on this site it says you can't claim back for 'Account Service Charges'. I have charges of approx. £5 per month dating back 4 years labelled as 'Account Charge' - am I to assume that I can't reclaim these?
    Also, if anyone has any general tips for dealing with Lloyds in particular, I'd be very grateful!
    Thanks so much in advance for your help.
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bibsy wrote:
    I'm slightly confused by the exact terms used - on the guidelines on this site it says you can't claim back for 'Account Service Charges'. I have charges of approx. £5 per month dating back 4 years labelled as 'Account Charge' - am I to assume that I can't reclaim these?
    Also, if anyone has any general tips for dealing with Lloyds in particular, I'd be very grateful!

You cannot claim back these £5 charges. See the LLOYDS THREAD for peoples experiences with this bank.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • Bibsy
    Options
    Thank you so much for your fast response - shame the answer wasn't quite what I'd hoped! However, there are plenty of other charges there....
    And thanks also for the link to the Lloyds thread....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure