Low Carb Diet (atkins)

Options

Comments

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Those who have read Gary Taubes The Diet Delusion or listened to his lecture from Berkeley may be interested in how he answers further questions about his hypothesis.

You can find his detailed answers to those questions here.

Gary Taubes responds

I'd also suggest you also read the comments that follow as some of them are quite interesting as well. In particular consider the comments by ItsTheWooo, about Leptin and Jenny Ruhl about the “beginners luck” phenomenon that occurs the first time a person switches to a low carb diet.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • HC_2
    HC_2 Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Options
    paula7924 wrote: »
    HC - I never buy anything i can't eat as it's the only way I know to make sure I can resist temptation, so yes, do whatever makes most sense to you.

That must make it easier! I still have biscuits, sweets and chocolate in the house, for my DDs (and OH, before he was diagnosed with the Big D); I make toast for my DDs every morning, and I cook family meals with potatoes, pasta or rice every evening. The only times I find it difficult is when I serve them something like garlic bread or a pudding - that can be very painful!

ka7e, you poor, poor thing. :( I'd forget about diet till you feel a bit more human, and just eat whatever makes you feel happy and well. A few weeks, while you recover, isn't going to make a long-term difference to your weight.

Ted, I didn't read all through those articles, but will try to later. Thought the bit about nations with carb-heavy diets (e.g. Japanese) was interesting. I shall read that carefully, because I was saying to Tinkerbell the other day about whether it was excess calories or simply too many carbs that made her fat in the first place.

Didn't like the bit about 'beginners' luck' - if that's true, it's rather depressing. However, I've never been entirely convinced that calories play no part.

Has anyone made the moussaka recipe from the IPD Cookbook? I did so last night, and thought the ratio of ingredients was totally out of kilter. The recipe is for 2 people: I made a half portion just for myself but even so I cut right down on the feta custard (150ml double cream and 100g feta for one person!?) and still only ate half of it. I put the rest in the fridge for today's lunch. I shall make it again, but with some serious tweaks. Up the quantity of lamb a bit, and the 2-person recipe would easily serve 4 people.

Ramble, ramble, ramble...

Nearly the weekend! :D
  • Sazbo
    Sazbo Posts: 4,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Ramble, ramble lol HC you've still got a way to go before you take my crown for rambling:D And besides, what you say is always interesting xx I'd love to have your tweaked version of the moussaka recipe - I don't have the IPD cookbook. Gilly loves moussaka and I've been wanting to make him a low-carb version for ages. He's really fed-up with work at the mo and maybe this would cheer him up :)

ka7e - I agree it's probably best to focus on getting well first and then you can revisit the weightloss issue once you have your energy back and you're 100% again. Hope you feel better soon xx

And yes, thank goodness it's friday:T Another long slog of a week:rolleyes: And bad carb cravings again too - prob a combo of cold weather and TOTM - and even tho we have very little bad stuff in the house, I feel it's an insufficient deterent lol. I'd quite happily go out buy a shed-load of hi-carb stuff!

Haven't read Ted's latest links yet, but from the sound of it I'm probably firmly in that category of beginners bad luck lol. Will try and read up today, but just find so little time for reading - I still haven't finished Gary Taubes' 'The Diet Delusion', but admittedly it is a big book:o

HC calories definitely do play a part. The short answer is that too many calories aren't helpful. But I think with low carbing the theory is that if you eat a diet higher in fat content that this will make you feel fuller and therefore lessen the tendency to overeat... also, keeping carb intake low keeps insulin levels low and therefore fat is burned, rather than stored. So I think the message is - contrary to what we've always been told - it is not "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie". Fat calories and carb calories effect the metabolic/endocrine system differently. So although it is important not to overeat too much or too often, it's more important to pay attention to the type of calories and the theory is then that the weight will take care of itself... If i'm making any sense at all there:o :rotfl: It's a question of emphasis I guess. Well that's the theory anyway!

Ramble, ramble...:o :rotfl::D

Right, coffee and then must press on with work.

Have a great day everyone :wave:

Much love,
    Sazzy xxxxxx
    4 May 2010 <3
  • HC_2
    Options
    Moussaka. This is the original recipe.

Serves 2
    • 500g lamb mince
    • 1 onion, chopped
    • 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
    • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 2 tablespoons tomato puree
    • 100ml water
    • 1 large aubergine
    • olive or groundnut oil
    • 3 eggs
    • 300ml double cream
    • 200g feta cheese
    1. Preheat oven to 180C/gas 4
    2. Fry lamb mince, breaking up lumps. Drain excess fat.
    3. Add onion and garlic. Fry till onion has softened.
    4. Add oregano, cinnamon, tomato puree and water. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 mins over a low heat.
    5. Slice aubergine, brush with oil and grill, fry or griddle softened (but not mushy and golden.
    6. Stir meat. If it looks too liquid, simmer without a lid for 5 mins.
    7. Beat eggs and cream, stir in crumbled feta.
    8. Layer aubergine over meat. Pour feta custard on top.
    9. Bake for 45 mins, or until top is golden brown.
    I thought the original had too much oregano, cinnamon and onion, and that there was too much rich custard. When I make it next time I think I’ll use:
    • 250-300g lamb
    • ¼- [FONT=&quot]½[/FONT] an onion
    • 1 clove garlic
    • ½ teaspoon oregano
    • ¼- [FONT=&quot]½[/FONT] teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1 tablespoon tomato puree
    • 50ml water (I used half red wine, half water)
    • ½ an aubergine
    • olive oil
    • 1 egg
    • 100-150ml double cream
    • 100g feta
  • Sazbo
    Options
    Brilliant, thanks HC! Printing it out right now :T Must give it a whirl once we've lifted our dairy ban lol. I have a feeling gilly's not a fan of aubergines, but I reckon I could probably substitute some sauteed flat mushrooms instead? :think:

Lol yes I'm having a tedious day too. Stuff I need to get done but don't wanna do it:rolleyes:

Sxx
    4 May 2010 <3
  • HC_2
    Options
    Sazbo wrote: »
    I have a feeling gilly's not a fan of aubergines, but I reckon I could probably substitute some sauteed flat mushrooms instead?

What a great idea - that would be gorgeous! My OH won't go near an aubergine either, so that would be perfect for him too. :T:T:T
  • paula7924
    Options
    Sazbo wrote: »
    gilly's not a fan of aubergines

I used to hate aubergines (and courgettes) because they always seemed go brown and soggy and also taste of tea. (no-one else seems to agree with me about the tea thing but as they are all tea drinkers they don't object to the taste of tea like i do!). However i tried a Carluccio recipe for parmesan aubergines and discovered that if you dip the aubergine in beaten egg (the recipe said flour then egg but it doesn't seem to make any difference on my test slices) and then fry in a pan with a bit of oil the egg seals the aubergine surface and stops it absorbing oil and going brown and soggy (and stops the tea taste too).

i always do aubergines this way now, even if the recipe asks for slices of uncooked aubergine.

FYI the aubergine parmesan recipe (which i served to guests with roast chicken instead of potatoes) is slices of fried aubergine layered with tomato sauce, fontina cheese (i had to substitute mozzarella and cheddar as i couldn't get hold of it) and topped with parmesan and baked in the oven/remoska. yum.

Might have to buy some aubergines now..... :cheesy:
    My name is Paula and I am a low carber :kiss: 1/6/08-83kg : 1/5/10-57kg :kiss: (Atkins/IPD) 24/1/13 - 69kg! Yikes!:cry::cry:
  • Sazbo
    Options
    mmmm sounds yum, paula! The other way I've done aubergines is to slice them lengthways, place on a baking tray and brush with oil. Then bake till golden. As I recall, that also makes them come out crispier and less soggified:D

sx
    4 May 2010 <3
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jennifer, you've posted the same message three times on different threads - excuse me for finding you a tad suspicious :(
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • HC_2
    Options
    LOL

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income