Low Carb Diet (atkins)

Options

Comments

• ~daisy~_2
    ~daisy~_2 Posts: 2,566 Forumite
    Options
    i will have some treats over christmas - hey why change a habit i hear you cry !!! lol

sneaky bit of pitta with houmous maybe a few twiglets def at least one mince pie - love 'em and christmas day will of course see me eating my christmas pud
    alcohol will possibly feature fairly heavily i guess.....

will be having parsnips with my dinner - will be avoiding choccies and potatoes etc etc

i shall have all intentions of being good but i will be having a little of what i fancy too.....* goes to the naughty corner*
    :j MFi3 wannabee :j
    mortgage owing 04.07 £36,000
    mortgage owing 07.10 £0 !!!!
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Annika Dalhqvist has been on a Swedish Weight loss program here is a Swedish article (with comical google translation) talking about the program.

I think I have found much the same as nurse Karin.

Interesting to see one of them talking about it's effect on fibromyalgia?

I hope there's someone here who can speak Swedish and translate
    Det tog lite tid men jäklar i min låda vilken bebishy jag fått.
    The translation
    It took some time but Damn in my box which bebishy I received. doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

I like this one as well
    I have almost magrutor"
    Wille, listing all the benefits that he encountered with LCHF:
    I'm never eager to småäta, I never get tired when I train, my mood is always on top, my stomach is how calm and beautiful any time, I have almost magrutor, I lost 22 kilograms without being hungry, I need less sleep and may never palt coma, my skin is jättelen. Hard drives have disappeared, I have not been sick in 3 years, my annual cold sores have disappeared and säket any more ... "
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh Ted I howled with laughter at the translation on that interview and best of all I'm still slightly bemused by what the hell she was on about:confused:

As for Xmas I intend to strictly adhere to the diet for the whole of the three weeks before Xmas and then let my hair down for the xmas period and eat exactly what I want.But as I cant eat bread or potatoes it will mainly be choccie and puds that do the damage.But I'll get back on the programme in January with a vengeance to lose the pounds I've gained

Lesleyxx
  • jscalow
    jscalow Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone !!!
    I've been away on holiday to Miami. Yes I did indulge, the most fabulous foods and the greatest of times. But I am back and down to Earth with a bump ( a very heavy bump).I had to buy new trousers before returning to work due to an (ahem) expanding waistline. I have thrown my self into Atkins again and have dropped to my pre holiday weight in just 3 weeks. I haven't been posting as too ashamed, but as I am back to where I was on on the right track am very much looking forward to seeing how much I can loose in the next 6 weeks. On Sunday I will even weigh myself.
    Did somebody say Christmas?
  • HC_2
    HC_2 Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks - interesting to know how others plan to deal with the temptations of Christmas.

Still not sure how I shall play it. I'm so into it right now that I feel as if there'll be crashes of thunder in the sky if I eat a parsnip or a chocolate. I can see that changing pretty quickly though, if/when I get the taste for carbs again.

It'll be easier this year perhaps, as my poor OH has recently been diagnosed with diabetes, so he now has to watch what he eats, and DD1 treats her body like a temple :rolleyes:. I'll buy some sweet treats for DD2 but she can keep them in a cupboard, out of sight of the rest of us! :D I think that, if I do cheat (and I'm sure I will), I'll try to do it with 'good' naughties, rather than bad ones - if that makes sense: high-carb veg, granary bread, etc., rather than sugar. Does that sound sensible?
  • paula7924
    Options
    HC - I never buy anything i can't eat as it's the only way I know to make sure I can resist temptation, so yes, do whatever makes most sense to you. 85% chocolate is my sweet treat (and you really can't eat too much or you would be sick).

i have been away for a couple of weeks and have really missed you all. I'm more of a lurker than a poster but i hadn't realised how much support i gt from this board until i didn't have it.

I managed to stay on plan most of the time and when i chose to go off piste (chips one night, a couple of roast potatoes on two occasions and most magnificently chocolate brownie with icecream) I really enjoyed it, felt no guilt about it and got straight back on the wagon the next day. hurrah for India and the Idiot Proof Diet for giving me that mental confidence. It's totally liberating and so much better feelings of failure and despondancy that went with breaking diets in the past (not as bad as Neris's but still there).

AND i have still lost weight, which is fantastic - for the past 2 months i have been changing shape but not losing much weight. Before i went away i had hoped that i would manage not to put weight on, but i noticed that my old trousers were fitting better despite the treats. In fact i have lost more in the last 2 weeks than in the whole month before - bizarre indeed.
    My name is Paula and I am a low carber :kiss: 1/6/08-83kg : 1/5/10-57kg :kiss: (Atkins/IPD) 24/1/13 - 69kg! Yikes!:cry::cry:
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    While this new research it's being talked up in terms of Lower Carbohydrate diets work best, when you look at what they ate it clearly does support the low carbohydrate lobby.
    High-protein meals may benefit fat oxidation and energy expenditure in individuals with higher body fat

Those eating the high protein meals were eating fewer carbs and thus lost more weight than the controls even though the calories were the same.
  • babiebeany
    Options
    I suppose that's a complicated way of saying you are trying to fill the Vitamin d bath but as you are doing so some Vitamin d is constantly draining away down the plughole.
    It won't be until March that this natural depletion rate will end.

We are going away for some winter sunshine over xmas/new year so will be upping my vitamin d levels whilst I am away - but what you are saying Ted is that it will be March before I can expect to feel any positive effects from my vitamin d intake.

On the discussion on falling off the wagon - I've really stayed on phase 1 of the ipd as it simply just suits me. I don't eat much veg apart from carrots and onions, so I just have a small portion of these. But I have been experimenting with adding some other carbs back into my diet. I have a slice of wholemeal bread every other day now, which is just great as I can have poached egg on toast. It doesn't seem to affect my weight loss.

I've tried some of the recipes for oopsies etc and found a lot of them to taste very eggy, so will carry on with having limited bread.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    babiebeany wrote: »
    We are going away for some winter sunshine over xmas/new year so will be upping my vitamin d levels whilst I am away
    Excellent, enjoy yourself but don't get burnt.
    - but what you are saying Ted is that it will be March before I can expect to feel any positive effects from my vitamin d intake.
    Hopefully you will feel some improvements before next March.

I just want you to understand that as you are starting late when natural background levels are declining (apart from your Winter sun holiday) you must expect slower progress than someone who started supplementing in July before the dreadfully cloudy August and before the seasonal deterioration set in.
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Today, I have eaten...
    half a small bowl of porridge,
    1 scrambled egg on half a slice of buttered toast,
    2 tbsps icecream
    about 10 large grapes.

This is my first day of solid food after 10 days of being proper poorly! Culminating in an emergency appendectomy on Sat night._pale_

What peeves me the most? I have spent 10 days with no appetite at all, been "Nil by mouth" or on IV fluids, the whole time. And I've put on half a stone :confused:. If I had the energy I would throw a tantrum.

I feel like my innards have been the battlegound for the age-old fight between Good and Evil......and then a herd of buffalo crept up when I wasn't looking and gave me a quick trample!

So I think I may stick with the bland, high-carb convalescent diet for a couple of weeks and then reassess/return to low-carb. Unless someone knows better.......?
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport