Low Carb Diet (atkins)

Options

Comments

• tinkerbell84
    Options
    pink68 wrote: »
    In answer to tink's comment YES i DO feel better when I stick to it. but i completely lapsed last thursday with the Mars Bar. But I did enjoy it.

I have a real chocolatey tooth rather than a sweet tooth, and i have had heaps less than before I started low carbing becuase the cravings have been a lot less. that said though I have found the low carbing a nightmare for my guts which already had a tendency towards constipative IBS. on thursday i was suffering the result of having had to take a laxative which left me weak and feeling sorry for myself. Sugar seemed the ideal answer! Fortunately now the aloe vera capsules you recommended seem to be sorting it out.

your dedication is an inspiration to me tink!

Aw shucks :o

Aloe vera? I take psyllium husks :confused:

Good luck with getting on the bandwagon - I can't even bear the smell of milk chocolate now. Can't get dark enough for me and even then I can't manage more than about 10g!! :drool:

I'm going to take a break from MSE for a little while - it's depressing me at the moment. I'll be back though when I feel up to it. Carry on low carbing, and good luck guys :wave:
  • HC_2
    HC_2 Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Options
    Well done, Gilly! :T:T:T

I'll be weighing tomorrow and I'm not convinced I will have lost any. I seem to lose 3 or 4 pounds one week, and none the next, even if I eat the same.

Tink, don't stay away too long. We need you to help keep us on the straight and narrow.

Pink, I went to Tesco the other day and I made the mistake of walking down the chocolate aisle. I actually started salivating as I passed the Galaxy Cookie Crumble. I managed not to succumb though. Funny - I've not cheated at all with food in nearly 9 weeks, bar the odd lick of a mashed potato serving spoon :p. When I do cheat, it's with wine. Such a bad girl. :o

I've got a horrible dinner tonight (fish - which I loathe :() so I've just treated myself to a delicious lunch - a slow-cooked sticky sausage and a recipe from the IPD Cookbook - leeks wrapped in ham (and I added some chopped, fried Portabella mushrooms on top) then covered in mascarpone and Parmesan, and put under the grill. Lovely!
  • Sazbo
    Sazbo Posts: 4,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Tink! What HC said:) You're the voice of low-carb reason - we need you here hun! I do understand what it's like though... MSE gets a bit much at times and sometimes it's necessary to take a step away from it. Well I know that's the case for me anyways. Come back soon xx

HC your lunch sounds fab and I'm sure the fish will be lovely - Gilly will be on your side tho coz he doesn't like fish either!:D

Ho hum, so bored at work today... and it's only monday:rolleyes: Not sure what we're having for dins tonight. I'm going through one of my 'not-being-fussed-with-food' phases...:o Altho, we did a half lamb shoulder in the slow cooker yesterday which looks nice, so we could have that.

Well done on the loss Gilly Badger! :T :D:D

Have a good day everyone :wave:

Much love,
    Sazzy xxxxxxx
    4 May 2010 <3
  • pink68
    pink68 Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Aw shucks :o

Aloe vera? I take psyllium husks :confused:

I'm going to take a break from MSE for a little while - it's depressing me at the moment. I'll be back though when I feel up to it. Carry on low carbing, and good luck guys :wave:

Well i meant 'you' recommended in the royal sense..as in someone here! lol!

Tink please dont stay away too long, I know there are 'some' people here (again in the royal sense) who delight in winding up others but on this thread WE NEED YOU!!!!!

being a good girl today and got back to basics. had a lovely cheese salad for lunch. :A
    Credit Card debt £10247.17 1/1/2020
  • HC_2
    HC_2 Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Options
    I lost 2lb this week - I'm really surprised - taking my total loss to 23lb. I'm going to try to drop a few more pounds before Christmas, but then I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

There's no way I'm going to stick to it over Christmas, especially the day itself. I'll cope without cakes and puddings, but... Brie and cranberry filo parcels and other horrifically high-carb but yummy nibbles (always always at midday on Christmas Day with champagne as we open presents under the tree: some things are set in stone :(), a crisp roast potato or two, parsnips, Yorkshire puddings (whole family loves them so I do them with Christmas lunch, even though it's turkey), granary toast with pate... these are the things I'd miss most.

I might try to maintain over this period and then start again in the new year, although I'm not sure how easy it'll be to get back into the VLC swing of things.

How are you all planning to cope? Are you going to eat whatever you want, or stick to the diet, or try to stay on the straight and narrow with just a few of your favourite high-carb things as treats? Help!
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    HC wrote: »
    There's no way I'm going to stick to it over Christmas, especially the day itself. I'll cope without cakes and puddings, but... Brie and cranberry filo parcels and other horrifically high-carb but yummy nibbles (always always at midday on Christmas Day with champagne as we open presents under the tree: some things are set in stone :(), a crisp roast potato or two, parsnips, Yorkshire puddings (whole family loves them so I do them with Christmas lunch, even though it's turkey), granary toast with pate... these are the things I'd miss most.

I might try to maintain over this period and then start again in the new year, although I'm not sure how easy it'll be to get back into the VLC swing of things.

How are you all planning to cope? Are you going to eat whatever you want, or stick to the diet, or try to stay on the straight and narrow with just a few of your favourite high-carb things as treats? Help!
    I'll not go mad on the stuff I know is going to raise insulin and disrupt blood glucose but I will not be missing out. Just eating small portions of these items.
    I'll make up for it by Intermittent fasting probably both over the few days leading up to and after the binge.

As I do most of the cooking and we'll be having a number to cook for, there's no way I can cook properly without tasting as I go, so I think IF is the only way to deal with this period. I've found now I've got the excess fat out of the way I'm not getting hungry like I used to. I can skip breakfast or lunch without problems if I'm busy doing something else I just don't notice I've missed it so I don't see the point in eating if you're not hungry. We evolved to be aware of hunger and leptin signals. Our paleo ancestors would not have had food available continually. It would have been alternating times of feast (after the kill to consume as much meat/fat as possible before it went off or other scavengers got it) and famine (while we went of hunting our next big meal)

I'm not convinced we need 3 meals a day with snacks in between, nor do I think it is healthy for us. I'm certainly feeling better than I have felt for years so this way of eating certainly seems to suit me.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Badger_Lady
    Options
    Yeah, I'll probably do a little fast before and after too (as long as it doesn't offend my family who I'll be staying with).

I'm not doing 24-hr fasting any more, by the way - since getting my redundancy notice I've eaten every day, and not always well. Over the weekend I ate an entire fruit strudel!

But I woke up this morning feeling like I'm slimmer again - my trousers feel a little loose. Nice :grin:
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Sazbo
    Sazbo Posts: 4,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I honestly don't know, HC. I have mixed feelings. I'm not going to say I won't deviate at all. Part of me agrees with Tink that low carbing is for life and part of me feels that life is for living. I'm in a weird situation with all this, the weight loss has been so slow going for me that in a way I kinda feel I'm being strict for nor reason. So to add carbs back in over christmas, I wouldn't feel I was undoing a massive amount of progress, because there simply hasn't been a massive amount of progress. Having said that, I do want this to be a long-term lifestyle change for me, so I won't revert back to my old dietary habits permanently. And I think this will ensure that I don't stray from the path very far, or for very long.

I too have things that are a traditional part of the day - champagne while opening presents is a favourite of mine too:) - so I will be doing that. But other carby things I've given up, to be honest I'm not fussed about having - like potatoes, for instance. And I'm not massively bothered about xmas pud, or mince pies either. I'll probably do a lower carb dessert like chocolate mousse (with plenty of brandy:D), or something like that. So I think it'll be a pretty similar approach to when Gilly and I went to Cornwall in August - have the treats we really want to have but the rest of the time stick to the plan.

My feeling is that if you view it as a long-term thing then, if and when you do deviate, you won't beat yourself up about it so much and it'll be easier to get back on track... that's just my tuppence-worth anyways:D

Have a great day everyone :wave:

Much love,
    Sazzy xxxxxxxxx
    4 May 2010 <3
  • pink68
    pink68 Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    well I deviated in a big way over the weekend away with my friends but having been good (apart from the mars bar incident) up til then, I lost half a pound this week!

that brings my weight loss since starting two weeks ago to three pounds. that may not seem much to some of you but with my dieting history it is a near on miracle for me!

Hubby and I have talked about christmas and agreed we will still buy some treats but a lot less of them and when they're gone they're gone(and the kids will make sure they go!). i'll have a yorkshire pud but prob pass on the potatoes, and i dont like xmas pud anyway. we always have a fry up xmas morning so that needn't change too much and after dinner i never really want anything else anyway.:rotfl:
    Credit Card debt £10247.17 1/1/2020
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport