We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Which mattress? (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• meester
    meester Posts: 1,879 Forumite
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    It's a real shame you didn't read this thread before you ordered the mattress as there are a number of reasons not to.

Quite possibly, but it's not necessary to over-egg it so much. It's hardly a disasterous product.

Better reason for cancellation would be the price, £61 cheaper with free memory foam pillows here http://www.mattressland.co.uk/productdetail.asp?val=products&typeid=83&pro_type=&id=222&cattype=1&itemID=76963
    I haven'tread their terms and conditions, but you should read them carefully to make sure you can cancel a special order.

It's not a custom item under the DSR, the buyer is entitled to reject the goods.
    On the subject of special orders I'd be interested to know why it is a special order, or do they just call any item that they don't have in stock 'special'? If this is the case then in their defence many manufacturers have a back log of orders due to the summer holiday period, but they should really have warned you about this.

Sleepeezee are very busy, and it does say on the mattress-man website that it's special order, 14 day delivery.
    The mattress is non turn, which is a big no no with pocket springs, as they won't last as long as one that can be turned.

There's a fair assessment of this here:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Non-Turn-Mattresses---What-Are-the-Real-Benefits?&id=1366403

Reality is most people won't turn their mattress, and there's no data on the difference in lifespan.
    You would be better off with between 1000 and 1800 pocket sprungs. The more springs a mattress has, the smaller they have to be. This means that they can get damaged easily.

This is just silly. The OP has bought a 2000-spring mattress. The difference between 1800 and 2000 is tiny. This is not a reason to reject the product.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm starting to feel better now (apart from seeing the price £61 cheaper...)

I'll be happy to take the Sleepeeze, but I've definitely bucked the system at Mattressman.

I have to go home now, but will definitely post and tell you all what transpired. I'll forward my work phone to my mobile in case they call after I've gone.

Thanks for all your help!
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    Options
    Finished at 4pm? Part-timer :rolleyes: ;)
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    meester wrote: »
    Quite possibly, but it's not necessary to over-egg it so much. It's hardly a disasterous product.

I didn't say it was a disasterous product, but people should know the truth before buying a mattress, instead of the sales hype often talked by retailers.
    Better reason for cancellation would be the price, £61 cheaper with free memory foam pillows here http://www.mattressland.co.uk/productdetail.asp?val=products&typeid=83&pro_type=&id=222&cattype=1&itemID=76963

That is yet another reason, but the mains reasons would be the life of the mattress, especially if you are on a tight budget so want it to last.
    It's not a custom item under the DSR, the buyer is entitled to reject the goods.

Yes, and as we had already discussed they charge postage for returned items.
    Sleepeezee are very busy, and it does say on the mattress-man website that it's special order, 14 day delivery.

Are you in the bed industry as you seem to know how busy Sleepeezee are (this was also mentioned by the way)?
    There's a fair assessment of this here:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Non-Turn-Mattresses---What-Are-the-Real-Benefits?&id=1366403

Reality is most people won't turn their mattress, and there's no data on the difference in lifespan.

I stated reading the article and straight away realised that it was written by a bed retailer trying to promote non turn mattresses. Then when I continued guess what...........it is written by a retailer who also avertises their site in the article........yet more sales hype.

Who needs data when you have common sense? If you can turn a mattress and spread the waer out then it WILL last longer. Maybe not twice as long, but it will last far longer. I'm sure if you ask bed manufacturers, and can get an honest answer, then they will back this up (I have done this, have you?).
    This is just silly. The OP has bought a 2000-spring mattress. The difference between 1800 and 2000 is tiny. This is not a reason to reject the product.

I usually advise 1800 as the upper limit. So 2000 is 200 springs over that limit. This wasn't the only reason to reject it either was it?
  • TiTheRev
    Options
    You tell him Tim ;) :rotfl:

That's why ive got my 1400 spring, pocket sprung, damask cover with lambs wool filling, fully turnable, hand stitched King size bed winging its way to me as I type...I will let you know in about 10-12 years how it's going ;)
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • meester
    Options
    I didn't say it was a disasterous product, but people should know the truth before buying a mattress, instead of the sales hype often talked by retailers.

You rather implied that it was a diaster by saying it was a "real shame".

Are you in the bed industry as you seem to know how busy Sleepeezee are (this was also mentioned by the way)?

My order placed on 18th August is only arriving tomorrow....
    I stated reading the article and straight away realised that it was written by a bed retailer trying to promote non turn mattresses. Then when I continued guess what...........it is written by a retailer who also avertises their site in the article........yet more sales hype.

It's not what I would call sales hype.

This is sales hype:

The mattress includes eight layers of upholstery for luxurious. comfort, and is ‘non-turn’ for added convenience

or

Providing extraordinary pressure reduction and optimum comfort whilst offering the convenience of a non-turn mattress.

I don't think this is sales hype

a non-turn mattress or divan bed is less expensive on a like-for-like basis than one that is "fully turnable" - The expensive fillings are only needed on one-side of the mattress.

The old adage says "You get what you pay for" generally stands across the bedding industry
    Who needs data when you have common sense? If you can turn a mattress and spread the waer out then it WILL last longer. Maybe not twice as long, but it will last far longer. I'm sure if you ask bed manufacturers, and can get an honest answer, then they will back this up (I have done this, have you?).

This is quite vague though isn't it. What is the lifespan with and what is it without turning? And if it is not turned, will it last 'long enough' (i.e. until it's so old you want a new one anyway)? I don't have data on this.
    I usually advise 1800 as the upper limit. So 2000 is 200 springs over that limit. This wasn't the only reason to reject it either was it?

But it's not a reason at all. If it were 3000 then assuming there is a big difference in durability, then I'd agree, but your limit is entirely arbitrary, you could equally well say that '2000' is the limit.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    TiTheRev wrote: »
    You tell him Tim ;) :rotfl:

That's why ive got my 1400 spring, pocket sprung, damask cover with lambs wool filling, fully turnable, hand stitched King size bed winging its way to me as I type...I will let you know in about 10-12 years how it's going ;)

Maybe you should tell him about your experience with so called extended guarantees which are also mentioned by the seller who wrote the article that was quoted.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    You rather implied that it was a diaster by saying it was a "real shame".

That's because it was a shame. If they had seen this thread then they would probably have gone for one of the other mattresses that I found for them (from the same seller)

My order placed on 18th August is only arriving tomorrow....

Did the seller say that it would be delivered in 14 days, and then let you down?
    It's not what I would call sales hype.

This is sales hype:

The mattress includes eight layers of upholstery for luxurious. comfort, and is ‘non-turn’ for added convenience

or

Providing extraordinary pressure reduction and optimum comfort whilst offering the convenience of a non-turn mattress.

I don't think this is sales hype

a non-turn mattress or divan bed is less expensive on a like-for-like basis than one that is "fully turnable" - The expensive fillings are only needed on one-side of the mattress.

The old adage says "You get what you pay for" generally stands across the bedding industry

Well you were taken in by it weren't you?

I think they call it reverse psychology (if that's how you spell it) or something like that. The seller appears to be going along with some of the fears that many people have about non turn mattresses. Then they turn around and say that there is actually nothing to worry about...........this is very clever sales hype.

They also go on to talk about articles by the Sleep Council (an organisation that is financed by the bed industry).

And to top it all, saying that non turn mattresses must last as long as two sided mattresses because they have the same guarantees. This is like saying that a Silentnight mattress must last 5 years because you can get a 5 year extended guarantee. Well as TiTheRev will tell you, the guarantee is on a sliding scale, so if you have had the mattress 4 years, then you will have to pay 80% (+ delivery) for a replacement. This is a clever tactic that ties the buyer to the same manufacturer or pay full price for another make.

The seller also says that memory foam isn't suitable to be used on both sides of a mattress. Well this is complete rubbish, as there are two sided memory foam mattresses on the market.
    This is quite vague though isn't it. What is the lifespan with and what is it without turning? And if it is not turned, will it last 'long enough' (i.e. until it's so old you want a new one anyway)? I don't have data on this.

Well isn't that like saying a car will last exactly 5 years then break down. But if you look after it, then it will last longer.

If you look after a mattress it will last longer. Most manufacturers say that you should turn their 2 sided mattresses on a regular basis. However they don't actually do anything to the inside of the mattress on a non turn mattress to make it last longer. If you take a two sided mattress and never turn it, then it will last just as long as a non turn mattress.

But it's not a reason at all. If it were 3000 then assuming there is a big difference in durability, then I'd agree, but your limit is entirely arbitrary, you could equally well say that '2000' is the limit.

You have to put a limit somewhere. Do you actually know how small and weak the individual springs are in a 2000 pocket sprung mattress?
  • TiTheRev
    Options
    Maybe you should tell him about your experience with so called extended guarantees which are also mentioned by the seller who wrote the article that was quoted.
    :rolleyes:

Well...after only 2years of use (being regularly turned), my Miracoil mattress was giving both myself and my wife back-ache, and making more noise than the floor boards underneath it every time we twitched! So we checked the bumpf that came with the mattress and saw '10 year guarantee', so made an enquiry with Silentnight via email. 'No worries' they said, we'll send you the form. Filled that in, still had the original receipt and date of purchase so sent it off to them.

About 2weeks later I got a leaflet through the door from Silentnight all about their fine products??? I rung them to ask what was going on, and they stated that the leaflet shows the sliding scale guarantee that Silentnight use. 1st year is fully gauranteed (by the seller I might add - Argos!) and then after that you have to pay an incrimental amount 'towards' the purchase of the replacement mattress. It pays towards the wear and tear of the bed apparently :confused:

I then thought, 'Ok, i paid £250 for it 2years ago. Using the sliding scale guarantee they show i'd have to pay 40% of the cost of the mattress, plus delivery.' That would be £100 plus £30 for delivery. So I emailed again. Can I go direct to Argos/supplier and pick the replacement up and pay the £100 there? No. It is direct supply only, AND it is 40% of the current price of the equivelant mattress (over £400), so i'd have to pay nearer £200 for an equally dodgy mattress that is actually only guaranteed for 1year by the company that sells it?!

Customer service???

Quality product and guarantee???

Going back??? Never.
  • meester
    Options
    Did the seller say that it would be delivered in 14 days, and then let you down?

They said up to 28 days.
    Well you were taken in by it weren't you?

I'm not taken in by anything, it was just the only thing I could find on google about non-turn mattresses. And written by a salesman, much like yourself.
    I think they call it reverse psychology (if that's how you spell it) or something like that. The seller appears to be going along with some of the fears that many people have about non turn mattresses. Then they turn around and say that there is actually nothing to worry about...........this is very clever sales hype.

Fears? Do you have any evidence for a substantial number of peole being worried? Like I said, there's pretty much nothing out there suggesting non-turn is a problem, it's marketed as a boon, how many people do you really think are worried?
    You have to put a limit somewhere. Do you actually know how small and weak the individual springs are in a 2000 pocket sprung mattress?

Compared to an 1800-spring one? 10% smaller would be the obvious answer. Not something to keep you awake at night.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure