Milann’s mutterings through retirement

Options
milann
milann Posts: 10,586 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I thought it was about time for a new diary. 
Ive been a member of MSE many years now and got my debt down from £20,000’s to a big fat ZERO.
I kept the debts to myself as I was the one who built them up. Dh would have been ok and we’d have worked through them together…..but it was my mess that I wanted to clear myself and not have him working extra to pay. A pride thing I suppose, I never knew exactly what the figure was as I definitely buried my head in the sand. It seemed like millions never mind £1000’s.
I had my LB moment in 2006. In fact the 4th January when I was rushed into hospital with a perforation in my tummy. Anyway a couple of operations later, 6 weeks in hospital with a couple of sessions in ICU brought me to my senses. I had a stoma (which was later reversed than another permanent one as I had a 2nd perforation in 2020) Throughout all this I was more worried how I was going to manage my debts then my health. Not the right balance at all 😳 In a funny sort of way it did me a BIG favour as the cc insurance kicked in. I wasn’t sure what pay I’d get from work but I was paid for 6 months and I couldn’t go out or do much so I threw every spare penny at the debt. It took me several years to pay it all as there were some more health challenges along the way. But I did it.
I had to take early retirement due to ill health  from work in 2020 but still have 9 months until I can claim my state pension….don’t even get me going on the extra 6 years since they changed the retirement age 😡😡
Roll on to 2024…..I plod along nicely, a fine balance between pacing myself and generally keeping busy. My aim is to keep within my monthly budget and not break into my savings which will have to serve me a long time as they’ll be no more nest eggs, that I know of, coming my way….unless I win the lottery - which is unlikely as I don’t do it 😂😂
Ive not made any New Year resolutions as I don’t stick to them longer than a couple of days BUT I do want to continue trying to get my weight down, keep motivation going to do things - crafts, using my gym membership, visiting friends etc. But mostly to keep my finances in order as I never want to be more worried about money than my health again. I’ll do this by savvy shopping, home cooking, and keeping waste down. When we do go out to eat which we do fairly regularly- it’ll be wherever gives the best value. I do intend to enjoy life whilst keeping finances in order 👍😁
I’ve had a lazy day today sitting under my heated throw I got for Christmas watching a bit of catch upTV. I haven’t had any heating on. Dh has gone to work but only 2 days this week. 
No cash has left my purse or cc yet in 2024 😁👍
Tea will be pasta with chopped gammon left over from New Years Eve in a tomato and garlic cheese sauce with pasta. I’m using my leftovers up👍 

January spends - £587.58

Comments

• Sunshine_girl2
    Sunshine_girl2 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Happy New Diary. 
    Debt free April 26th 2021

• RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Found your new diary. Looking forward to keeping up with your travels in 2024.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Looking forward to lots of posts from you in 2024!😀
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • milann
    milann Posts: 10,586 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    😂😂😂😂I’m still a technophobe. Posted my new diary and then I couldn’t find it 😂😂😂😂
    ive bookmarked it so I should be ok now 👍
    January spends - £587.58
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,765 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Happy New Diary 😊
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,301 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Happy new diary 🙂 I’m thinking about moving to the Mortgage Free Wannabe board when I’ve paid the last payment of my windows/doors at the end of the month. 
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,310 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary. 
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Happy new diary. Thank you @CRANKY40 for posting a link.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • amber03
    amber03 Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Happy new diary, I’ll come along on your journey.xx
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.00
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yay I found you Happy New Diary Milann. I'm also thinking of starting a new diary but need to figure out how first 😂😂
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback