PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Feed 6 for £1.62

Options
Glad
Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
Official Insert: Champagne contest - if you have a recipe to feed 6 for £1.62 or less post it here and the MoneySavingExpert office's resident food gourmet Brendan (webby)will pick the best in a week's time.

The winner has been picked. See who it is here

I found this recipe in an old Prima mag,

Dhal curry and rice

serves:6 cost per head:27p cals per portion: 260

>2 tsp ground ginger
>1 tsp cumin
>225g/8oz red lentils
>1 tbsp oil
>1 sliced onion
>2 potatos, peeled & diced
>1 tsp curry powder
>2 cloves garlic, crushed
>400g can of chickpeas, drained
>4 tomatoes, cut into wedges
Optional
>crispy fried onions to garnish
>cumin seeds browned to garnish
>coriander leaves to garnish

1. bring 1 pt water to boil. Stir in ginger, cumin and lentils.Season with salt. Simmer for 20 mins or until soft.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pan and stirfry onion and potato for 5-10 min, or until nearly soft. Add curry powder, chickpeas, garlic and tomatoes. Cook for a further 3-4 mins before stirring in lentil mixture. Taste and season. Cook gently for 5 mins.
Garnish with onions, curry seeds and coriander, if using.
Serve with rice.
I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    That sounds excellent - and vegetarian too :).

Shall we have a challenge to try to beat the cost? Give us something to do over the weekend ;).
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ok, i'll have a bash too.
  • Glad
    Options
    Got to be something decent though

not smart-price beans on toast ;)
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    Options
    Got to be something decent though

not smart-price beans on toast  ;)

Oh Well, that's me out of ideas ;D

I love lentils so will be giving this a go - thanks Glad ;D
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm afraid I'm well and truly a carnivore....... vegi things do very little for me........but this sounds good. Thankyou Glad.......though I might just add some meat!

Thanks again

Pink
  • Glad
    Options
    let us know what it's like with the meat pink

should still be a cheap meal
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    OK let me try:

500g strong flour (£0.30)
    1 sachet fast acting yeast (£0.10)
    2 Tbs.veg. oil, pinch salt, pinch oregano, 2 cloves garlic (£0.10p at the most)
    1 tin economy tomatoes (£0.15p)
    200g cheapest cooking cheese, or edam (£0.60)

Mix flour with fast acting yeast, add salt after mixing, then add oil and enough water to make a soft but not sticky dough.

Knead until smooth, on a floured board, for at least 5 minutes. Put into a floured pan and cover with a cloth dampened in hot water and squeezed. Let grow until doubled in size, in a warm and draugth-proof area of the kitchen.

Meanwhile make sauce: chop the tomatoes from the tin, add a bit of salt and chopped garlic and oregano.

Grate the cheese.

Oil a baking tray (Make sure you use metal because the bottom of pizza needs strong heat to become well crusty).

When dough has had time to grow, give it another few kneads then roll thin (1/2 cm or so) and put on oiled baking tray. Cover with sauce then spread the grated cheese all over it.

Voila, pizza for 6 with £1.25!

When you know how much pizza costs, it makes you think before buying a £6.99 pizza in a restaurant doesn't it?

Incidentally, with the remaining £0.37 a carnivore could buy enough danish salami (cheap but nice-tasting) to have a salami pizza, or a few anchovies, or a bit of cheap ham...

Or you could make a coleslaw salad (1/4 cabbage, 1 onion, 1 carrot, 1 tbsp oil 1 Tbsp vinegar) with the remaining money.

Or an apple compote with a bit of custard for pudding...

I could go on.....

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    not sure i can beat that, gonna have to get thinking hat on.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi 160

I make it a bit of a sport to cook something out of nothing!

When I work (with professional first time mums usually) they are usually used to having a stuffed full fridge and cupboard. Then they have a baby and the shopping/planning goes out of the window (as it does hehehe)!

Then I arrive and they need food as mostly they are breastfeeding and it make them starving all the time, and I say, 'shall I cook you some breakfast/lunch/snack/dinner, whatever' and they say: there is nothing in the cupboard.

But usually there are cupboard things that they don't normally use because in their previous life as bankers/accountants/lawyers they always had fillet steak and ready-cut veg in the fridge, see?

So I make them pasta bakes, pancakes with jam, potato cheese pies and stuff like that, and they LOVE it!

ALL my references from clients mention my cooking, even the ones that I accompany to give birth (I use cooking to distract them before they go to have the baby - or to gently induce birth if it is nearly happening hehehe).

It is just a matter of being creative with what you have got in the cupboard - I love seeing their faces when I make them a 3 course dinner out of a supposed 'nothing'!!!

Have you ever heard of the fairy tale 'Stone Soup'?

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tell me more caterina, what is fairy tale stone soup? with a name like that 8 yr old girl bound to love it. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure