PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bad experience with Flat maintenance agent(Peverel OM Ltd)!

Options
I own a flat which is managed by Peverel OM ltd. They made a contract with builders Barratt and now in charge of the all the flats for the leasehold period of 999 years. From the start any problem was fobbed of as builder's fault including a faulty lift. It breaks down atleast 10 times/year and the repair cost is borne by all.

I also feel they charge everyone of us approx. £900/flat for 6 months (100 flats) and the service they provide is minimal such as window cleaning, external lightings etc. and very poor. I haven't seen anyone inspecting the quality of service.

As the most of the flats are rented out...it's been very difficult to get a good local committee to take on Peverel. When ever..I write to them...I get a letter with excuses and no progress. I am very frustrated by the monopoly of Peverel who seems to have national presence and get away with the expensive management bills and poor service.

Any body else feel the same here? and how shall I bring this to the attention of housebuilders and house buyers and to media.

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sack 'em! Take the Leaseholder's Right to Manage and you can choose your own managing company or, indeed, run your own.

http://www.lease-advice.org.uk/rtmframe.htm

They don't sound unlike many 'professional' managing agents, tbh. I'd simply make a change for the better and move on.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Artistxman
    Options
    Do I have to have the agreement of a certain proportion of the flat owners for the change to happen though?
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, you do, DG's link explains it all.

My managing agent is also Peverel, and I am just going through the RTM process (much easier for us though, there are only two apartments).

Have you made a formal complaint to the MD's PA, cc'ing ARMA? This seemed to make things happen for me, I even got a (small) reduction on my bill.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Artistxman
    Options
    Sorry ...found the answer myself in the link which is 50% of the flats and that is the problem as it's hard to get hold of everyone. That's how the agent is able to abuse the flat owners as they know it's hard for everyone with a day job to meet on a regular basis.
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    Artistxman wrote: »
    Do I have to have the agreement of a certain proportion of the flat owners for the change to happen though?

Yes, half of them. People aren't actually that hard to persuade if they feel they are being ripped off. £1800 is a LOT of money! Are there 100 flats in one block??

You need to look at how the service charge is broken down and whether the costs are justifiable. IMO £180,000 to run even the biggest block of flats for a year is erm, a bit expensive!
  • Artistxman
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Yes, you do, DG's link explains it all.

My managing agent is also Peverel, and I am just going through the RTM process (much easier for us though, there are only two apartments).

Have you made a formal complaint to the MD's PA, cc'ing ARMA? This seemed to make things happen for me, I even got a (small) reduction on my bill.

Severel complaint letters done so far...but not with CCing ARMA. I presume MD's PA as Managing Director's personal assistant and ARMA is some kind of association.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Artistxman wrote: »
    Severel complaint letters done so far...but not with CCing ARMA. I presume MD's PA as Managing Director's personal assistant and ARMA is some kind of association.

Yep ... Have you followed Peverel's complaints procedure? If you want to PM me and tell me who you have spoken to so far, I can see if I have any other contacts x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    Never fails to amaze me when someone can help directly :)
  • guppy
    guppy Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good old builders...take your cash for a rubbish new build flat, create leases with a chunky ground rent, and then sell the freehold to an investment (sorry management) company by way of thanks for your custom.

Nice.

Anyway, the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987 gives you the right to apply to Leashold Valuation Tribunal for the appointment of a manager where the Landlord is in breach of his obligations, and where the breach is likely to continue.

You would need evidence and possibly advice. But mentioning the above to the freeholder might prod them in to action.
  • kevinO_3
    Options
    I am having problems with a company the London, they are based in the Docklands area, and I am wondering has anyone else had bad experiences were an Agent has not paid fees due.

For past 6 months they have not paid any of my tenant's rent that was due to me.

They kept promising funds would come through, but to date, still no further forward.

What advice does anyone out there have to offer?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure