PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bad experience with Flat maintenance agent(Peverel OM Ltd)!

Options

Comments

• rnewman
    Options
    Peverel and it's many associate companies are a dishonest and predatory organisation. It seems that their staff are trained to exploit their tenants to the maximum without any respect for truth or proper accountancy. To get more money they will mislead blatantly. Sadly, you have to go to Court to get relief from them. I dare not say who I am but they were trying to con me out of thousands of pounds but after a very long struggle and lots of distress they have withdrawn. I suppose this organisation might be a case to complain to Trading Standards and perhaps an MP. I now have no case but my experience is that you have to have courage, stand your ground, and fight them to the end.

These people are pirates.

Yours 'Convalescing'.
  • Magindisguise
    Options
    I own a flat on Newhall Court in city centre Birmingham and it is serviced by a management company called Peverel OM.
    I moved over to Switzerland in 2006 and I notified them at the time I was renting the property out and there was no charge at all.
    They have now written to me to state that I have to pay a fee of GBP 100 + VAT = GBP 115 for their consent! And this will be repeated every three years!
    I am obviously not happy about this, as my ground rent on the lease is only GBP 25 per year, so how come it is so expensive to receive permission from the service management company that I want to rent my own abode out?
    I received consent from my mortgage company and there is no charge and they provide substantial financing of the apartment so how can GBP 115 every three years be reasonable??
    Peverel OM understated their normal service charging to residents last year by a substantial amount therefore claimed back from the residents (under the terms of the lease). I had to pay GBP 375 on top of the GBP 850 I pay them per year for a lazy caretaker and their buildings insurance (I am not sure what value for money I get from them).
    This excludes roof repairs which are needed due to the neglect of their company (as it has not been checked to maintain it - I am presuming that they don't actually have insurance or the insurance company have knocked it back in respect of due care and attention) which they are now advising that these costs will be charged to the residents!!!!!
    If I owned the building, I'd be checking from time to time if repairs are needed.
    :mad:
    I am at the end of my tether with this company.
  • Fulham_Mark
    Fulham_Mark Posts: 242 Forumite
    Options
    Find a managing agent that is recommended and ask them that you want them to take over your flats. They will help you organise meetings with owners and the paperwork to sack the incumbent company.

Then sit back.
  • VinChainSaw
    Options
    Peverel OM just removed all the free weights, dumbbells, barbells, abdominal crunch machines and even the exercise mats from our gyms.

They cite Health and Safety concerns. Have you ever heard anything so absurd in your life?

Does anybody have an email address for Sarah Hawkins as she is the Customer Services director at Peverel.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Peverel OM understated their normal service charging to residents last year by a substantial amount therefore claimed back from the residents (under the terms of the lease). I had to pay GBP 375 on top of the GBP 850 I pay them per year for a lazy caretaker and their buildings insurance (I am not sure what value for money I get from them).
    This excludes roof repairs which are needed due to the neglect of their company (as it has not been checked to maintain it - I am presuming that they don't actually have insurance or the insurance company have knocked it back in respect of due care and attention) which they are now advising that these costs will be charged to the residents!!!!!
    If I owned the building, I'd be checking from time to time if repairs are needed.

You sound as if you have no understanding of what you are being charged for, nor the laws governing service charges. Rather than complaining, you need to ask for a copy of each service contract, a breakdown of charges, a copy of the buildings insurance certificate (mandatory). Read these alongside a copy of your lease and the webpage below.

How much are you being charged for the roof? If over £250 per flat, were leaseholders consulted? Are you familiar with the LEASE website and free telephone advice service?
    http://www.lease-advice.org/publications/documents/document.asp?item=14
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • LW1969
    LW1969 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Artisxman

I'm surprised to read your note - I own many flats around the country which are managed by a variety of managing agents and Peverel OM, whilst not perfect (what company is?) are by far and away the best. If you have had problems - you need to speak to the right person. If the Property Manager is not doing their job - ask to speak with their line manager. I guarantee that this will work. I can't help thinking, though, that your problems emanate from Barratt? If that's the case - Barratt are the people fleecing you - not the management company.

L. Whittam
  • LW1969
    Options
    Find a managing agent that is recommended and ask them that you want them to take over your flats. They will help you organise meetings with owners and the paperwork to sack the incumbent company.

Then sit back.

Mark

I agree

We had an awful experience with Trinity Estates in Liverpool - we have now got rid of them off two sites and replaced them with Peverel OM. They have been excellent and have transformed the site from a dump into a place that people really want to live. I have some contacts there if these can be of any help.

L. Whittam
  • LW1969
    Options
    Peverel OM just removed all the free weights, dumbbells, barbells, abdominal crunch machines and even the exercise mats from our gyms.

They cite Health and Safety concerns. Have you ever heard anything so absurd in your life?

Does anybody have an email address for Sarah Hawkins as she is the Customer Services director at Peverel.

Vin

Sorry to sit on the fence here but I'm sure Peverel won't have done this to be absurd. They are the only managing agent I know that take health and safety seriously so they will have done this based on the advice of a consultant. Ask them for the report in which it should state the reasons for the removal. It's normally to do with injuries associated with equipment that cannot be controlled and serviced e.t.c. Fitted machines in Gyms are controllable and maintainable. free weights e.t.c. are not. I suspect that's the reason.
  • AMILLIONDOLLARS
    Options
    Solitaire & Perevel merged so double the trouble!!

http://www.thetruthaboutsolitaire.co.uk/

My advice to anyone buying a flat, check out the management company before you exchange contract. You'll save yourself a lot of heartache in the long run!!!

AMD
    Debt Free!!!
  • LW1969
    Options
    I own a flat on Newhall Court in city centre Birmingham and it is serviced by a management company called Peverel OM.
    I moved over to Switzerland in 2006 and I notified them at the time I was renting the property out and there was no charge at all.
    They have now written to me to state that I have to pay a fee of GBP 100 + VAT = GBP 115 for their consent! And this will be repeated every three years!
    I am obviously not happy about this, as my ground rent on the lease is only GBP 25 per year, so how come it is so expensive to receive permission from the service management company that I want to rent my own abode out?
    I received consent from my mortgage company and there is no charge and they provide substantial financing of the apartment so how can GBP 115 every three years be reasonable??
    :mad:
    I am at the end of my tether with this company.

Try some of the others! Mainstay charge £200 and Trinity charge £190 - all plus VAT. Trinity are so useless they will never get around to charging you, however.

Principally - they charge you because they can - the lease, which you signed, states that a fee is payable to the manager for subletting your property. If you don't like it - you should not have signed it - simple!

I don't sign agreements that I am at odds with.

L. Whittam.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport