PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bad experience with Flat maintenance agent(Peverel OM Ltd)!

Options

Comments

• LW1969
    LW1969 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    rnewman wrote: »
    Peverel and it's many associate companies are a dishonest and predatory organisation. It seems that their staff are trained to exploit their tenants to the maximum without any respect for truth or proper accountancy. To get more money they will mislead blatantly. Sadly, you have to go to Court to get relief from them. I dare not say who I am but they were trying to con me out of thousands of pounds but after a very long struggle and lots of distress they have withdrawn. I suppose this organisation might be a case to complain to Trading Standards and perhaps an MP. I now have no case but my experience is that you have to have courage, stand your ground, and fight them to the end.

These people are pirates.

Yours 'Convalescing'.

I agree only in principle with you since this sweeping statement does apply to some agents. You do not quote what has happened or what they are conning you for? If you do - I may be able to give advise as I own many leasehold properties around the UK.

L. Whittam
  • LW1969
    Options
    biscuit1 wrote: »
    Hope you dont mind me jumping in on this only am pulling me hair out as..my mum passed away almost 2 years ago having purchased a retirement property from mcarthy stone and managed by perverel with fees around £2500 annum,me and my sister are not in any way well of but have now been left with this property we cannot sell and cannot afford the maintanence we are having to pay on this property it is actually causing a lot of hurt and we could end up in serious financial problems as a result as my sister is the exector to the will she feels her own property could be at risk if we dont sell the property soon as we wont be able to afford the next fee in 6 months ...is there any course of action we can take ..are we liable for this fee even though the flat is empty..what would be the outcome if we refused to pay due to hardship...hope you can help

Hope you don't mind me jumping in. I own two properties managed by Peverel retirement sector - based in Droitwich. You have to pay even when the property is unoccupied because the bill is part of a shared budget that is needed to maintain the site. You should explain the problem to the office and they will sort out a payment plan for you. Do it now - don't leave it too long.

L. Whittam
  • LW1969
    Options
    guymark wrote: »
    I have the misfortune to have Peverel imposed on me following the purchase of four flats from Axis.

Initially, with Barteak (the developers), taking care of this, rates were very fair and two years = no problems at all. Now Peverel have taken over.

The first I (and others knew) that this had happened was to get demand plus administration fees on top for the late payment of fees - which we didn't even know we owed. I and others were still paying by standing order to Barteak.

Having told them to liaise with Barteak and arrange for the amount I had paid them to be transferred, I was given a revised bill which I paid.

Over a week later they sent me a statement - again with administration charges of £200 (£50 x 4). A few days later thay banked the cheque I had sent them some time before.

Next they decided to make us all pay a "2009 Levy" because the amounts we had been charged were insufficient - and we have all now had a 10% increase in our fees.

Direct debit is now a chargable priviliedge and (as others seem to find on here), faxes and letters are simply ignored.

I have now brought my account fully upto date, L:ESS their administration charges, LESS *MY* charge (the same £50 per property) for sorting out THEIR mess. However in my letter (accompanying the recorded delivery cheque), I have stated that I do not accept their "Levy", but have paid it while still disputing it.

I know they will not accept this (their admin charges refused, mine also raised) - so I am rather looking forward to my day in court.

My knowledge of the civil court is fairly limited - but I have seen that they tend to be interested when a company is shown to manipulate the system. I am happy to let them decide what is reasonable and fair. Sitting on people's cheques so you can then raise an administration charge has to be tantamount to fraud I would have thought, We will see.

In the meantime, I am trying to find a way of contacting all the individual leaseholders to try and get 50% to agree to either self-manage OR at least pick a management company which has a hint of decency about it. Not too easy as some are owner occupier and some are owned by landlords elsewhere.

I am involved with a few other management companies for other properties - and in comparison with Peverel they are all models of decency and fairness.

I too own a Barteak flat in Loughborough and Peverel OM have just taken over management. I have a contrasting story. The old agent was cheaper - but they did nothing - yes nothing. I had a flood from the flat above - went to claim on the insurance and they had not put the block on cover! Peverel are a breath of fresh air. The site is now clean and tidy and insured! It costs more - but that's like most things in life isn't it?

L. Whittam
  • LW1969
    Options
    blowstar wrote: »
    Absolutely the same experience here at Barrier Point, Barratt/Peverel's "flagship" development in London Docklands.

Any other Barrier Point resident want to bond together and defeat the dragon that is Peverel, please PM me.

Wow Blowstar

You need to check with the Concierge at least. I own two flats at barrier and am more than happy. The flats are in two separate staircases and both have been decorated twice in eight years. If no joy with the Concierge - I speak to the Property Manager. Works every time.

L. Whittam
  • LW1969
    Options
    guppy wrote: »
    Consider seeing a solicitor, I would imagine you have the right to request an audit.

It might also be an idea to contact the RICS:

I'm shocked by what a scam this seems to be!

Guppy

Until about four years ago - I too was very suspicious. I arranged a meeting with them and I went to meet the accountant and estate manager at their office. I can away with a very different view of Peverel. They are much better than you would imagine and I would recommend that you ask for a similar meeting. Don't get me wrong - I'm an MD myself and I won't have the wool pulled so you can take it from me!

L. Whittam
  • LW1969
    Options
    I tried to sort payment out, which admittedly was late.

They added costs on for just sending letters (£125 +vat) - nearly £500 for 3 letters.

When I phoned up to complain, the just laughed down the phone at me.

I've written to the developer (who is also the leaseholder), and I suggest you do the same.

Newmason Properties in Bradford use Peverel - and so a letter to them is a good start.

the more people write the letters of complaint, the more the leaseholder wont use them.

Scooby

I also own a Newmason flat in Bradford. Peverel OM took over from Sanderson Weatherall last year and since then it's been much better. We've gone from urine and excrement (I do not exaggreate) in the hallways to a site caretaker and boy does he do a great job. Yes - the charges have gone up then then it would would'nt it? My flat has increased in value now because it was worthless before as nobody wanted to rent it out because of the disgusting common areas. I am going to write to Newmason to thank them for changing.

L. Whittam
  • LW1969
    Options
    Are the County Estate Management by any chance?

To call these guys a group of in******t, r**e, fr******nt cowboys would be putting it mildly. (libellous words edited out)

If you don't get organised as a group of residents, have good communication between yourselves and insist on regular reviews with a new agent the same will happen again.

I think £100 - £300 per dwelling is the London rate for purely the managing agents fee (their admin etc) then £5k to £10k for cleaning, same for gardening. Other costs like insurance, electricity etc should be given a u-switch every few years.

Also when you get work done the managing agent is usually paid a "kick back" of 10-15% so don't trust them to select contractors as they won't choose the lowest cost supplier

Mark

I think Peverel bought County some time last year. I sold two flats in 2006 because of County. Peverel are one of the few good ones so things should start to look up.

L. Whittam
  • AMILLIONDOLLARS
    AMILLIONDOLLARS Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 August 2009 at 4:38PM
    Options
    LW1969 wrote: »
    Mark

I agree

We had an awful experience with Trinity Estates in Liverpool - we have now got rid of them off two sites and replaced them with Peverel OM. They have been excellent and have transformed the site from a dump into a place that people really want to live. I have some contacts there if these can be of any help.

L. Whittam

I suspect the reason why Peverel OM are doing a wonderful job in your case, is that you have the power to sack them at anytime!!!:cool: They're not Stupid!!

AMD
    Debt Free!!!
  • LW1969
    Options
    I suspect the reason why Peverel OM are doing a wonderful job in your case, is that you have the power to sack them at anytime!!!:cool: They're not Stupid!!

AMD

Very true - but they came on recommendation - with many references from what I can only describe as satisfied customers! I'm only saying what I'm seeing.

L. Whittam
  • bobsmydog
    bobsmydog Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 21 August 2009 at 5:34PM
    Options
    Anyone else been without hot water for months?

Managed, and yes I use the term lightly, ...by Peverel :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport