PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bad experience with Flat maintenance agent(Peverel OM Ltd)!

Options

Comments

• wildmark
    Options
    I cant speak for Peverel but I am having similar problems here so I became a director sounds daft but although the managing agent is abusing its position the other board members are supportive a good board of directors are needed prehaps this area you should look at
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've had a lot of problems with our "managing" agents. We're going self manage. I've drawn up provisional budgets and we can do everything we need to do and a few other jobs for 60% of the current fees.
    Happy chappy
  • doc2004
    Options
    Having a nightmare with Peverel. Does anyone have any advice on the best people to complain to;
    MD of Peverel ??
    ARMA ??
    Anyone else ??
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    Your local council will have a section that deals with private rented - let them know. Possibly shelter too?
    Maybe your local councillors (after all there may be many people having similar problems)
  • Artistxman
    Options
    doc2004 wrote: »
    Having a nightmare with Peverel. Does anyone have any advice on the best people to complain to;
    MD of Peverel ??
    ARMA ??
    Anyone else ??

I have gone thro' complaining to the Managers in Peverel and usually the replies are full of excuses. I went to the local consumer advice from the council and they asked me to write to the complaints department. Still, no action from peverel. I realised, unless it's from the whole block of flats...you won't have much joy.

I have managed to get a group of residents and registered them on a free yahoo webgroup, which I moderate. Thro' word of mouth now we have 50% of owners registered and we are in the process of taking control of our own affairs thro' Right To Manage. We als got help from a local management company, who will have a contract for the first year and if they do a good job..we will extend it.

I think Peverel are benefitting from the inertia of all the flat owners thro' out the country. They are too big to manage any of the flats effectively. Getting a residents association and taking control of your block of flats is the probably the best solution.

Good luck.
  • blowstar
    Options
    Peridot wrote: »
    We also have the severe misfortune to have Peverel as our management agents. When we moved in 8 years ago we were told our service charge would be £1200 pa - it's now almost £3000 pa and still rising with every 6 monthly bill. There has been no decoration in that time and I am at a loss to know where this money goes - although the last bill said they'd gone over by £40k so they were reclaiming these costs from us! And we also have to pay their overdraft fees! Our Estate Manager declines to speak to us (in person or on the phone) or to reply to letters, saying she is "too busy to deal with residents"! Presumably too busy frittering our money! It's pushed us to the point where we just want to move out as we can't deal with ever-spiralling costs combined with the ever-decreasing service.

Absolutely the same experience here at Barrier Point, Barratt/Peverel's "flagship" development in London Docklands.

Any other Barrier Point resident want to bond together and defeat the dragon that is Peverel, please PM me.
  • DJC_Properties
    Options
    Dear all,

I hope you do not mind me adding this post.

In short I have also personally been in your situations dealing with bad 'managing agents' that is why four years ago I decided to start my own property management company to look after my own leasehold and freehold investments.

If anyone would like a FREE no obligation review of your current service charge budget or any other help or advice please do not hesitate to contact me.

Please feel free to look at the following website for more information:

http://www.djcproperties.co.uk/DJC_Services_Page.html

Kind Regards,

Daniel Frith
    DJC Property Management Limited
  • carljackson
    Options
    I really do feel for anyone else in this situation. I've got a property in Swindon and am experiencing some problems with Peverel also. They really have been totally useless and I appear to not be getting any closer to resolving my issue with them.

For 4 years now I have been charged incorrectly and given a constant stream of BS and excuses.

It turns out they have the wrong details and leases in place for the majority of the properties within the development. Despite me being the one that has actually brought all of this to light and wanting my account corrected, my money back and compensation they are claiming they need to review all previous audits and accounts within the development before they will do anything with mine, not even a gesture. This has taken 8 months since the initial breakthrough of establishing I was indeed being billed incorrect but I have been in the property for over 4 years.

HELP! Do I go to a solicitor or persevere with this people?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • guymark
    guymark Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have the misfortune to have Peverel imposed on me following the purchase of four flats from Axis.

Initially, with Barteak (the developers), taking care of this, rates were very fair and two years = no problems at all. Now Peverel have taken over.

The first I (and others knew) that this had happened was to get demand plus administration fees on top for the late payment of fees - which we didn't even know we owed. I and others were still paying by standing order to Barteak.

Having told them to liaise with Barteak and arrange for the amount I had paid them to be transferred, I was given a revised bill which I paid.

Over a week later they sent me a statement - again with administration charges of £200 (£50 x 4). A few days later thay banked the cheque I had sent them some time before.

Next they decided to make us all pay a "2009 Levy" because the amounts we had been charged were insufficient - and we have all now had a 10% increase in our fees.

Direct debit is now a chargable priviliedge and (as others seem to find on here), faxes and letters are simply ignored.

I have now brought my account fully upto date, L:ESS their administration charges, LESS *MY* charge (the same £50 per property) for sorting out THEIR mess. However in my letter (accompanying the recorded delivery cheque), I have stated that I do not accept their "Levy", but have paid it while still disputing it.

I know they will not accept this (their admin charges refused, mine also raised) - so I am rather looking forward to my day in court.

My knowledge of the civil court is fairly limited - but I have seen that they tend to be interested when a company is shown to manipulate the system. I am happy to let them decide what is reasonable and fair. Sitting on people's cheques so you can then raise an administration charge has to be tantamount to fraud I would have thought, We will see.

In the meantime, I am trying to find a way of contacting all the individual leaseholders to try and get 50% to agree to either self-manage OR at least pick a management company which has a hint of decency about it. Not too easy as some are owner occupier and some are owned by landlords elsewhere.

I am involved with a few other management companies for other properties - and in comparison with Peverel they are all models of decency and fairness.
  • biscuit1_2
    biscuit1_2 Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope you dont mind me jumping in on this only am pulling me hair out as..my mum passed away almost 2 years ago having purchased a retirement property from mcarthy stone and managed by perverel with fees around £2500 annum,me and my sister are not in any way well of but have now been left with this property we cannot sell and cannot afford the maintanence we are having to pay on this property it is actually causing a lot of hurt and we could end up in serious financial problems as a result as my sister is the exector to the will she feels her own property could be at risk if we dont sell the property soon as we wont be able to afford the next fee in 6 months ...is there any course of action we can take ..are we liable for this fee even though the flat is empty..what would be the outcome if we refused to pay due to hardship...hope you can help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure