PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bad experience with Flat maintenance agent(Peverel OM Ltd)!

Options

Comments

• blowstar
    blowstar Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Just an update for others blighted by the dreadful manipulative money-grubbing organisation that is no longer called Peverel (possibly for legal reasons to avoid a number of court cases) but just O M ...

At Barrier Point we're well on the way to collecting the number of signatures required to allow us to 'self-manage' and hopefully in a few months we'll have sacked Peverel and be allowed to appoint a more accountable and locally manageable building management company.

Interestingly, 'right to self-manage' is much more readily and cheaply achieved than buying back the Freehold that Barratt sold quietly to Peverel. Encourage other blocks to go down the same route and you'd starve Peverel of 90% of their profit stream.
  • Muncila
    Options
    I was just looking at "The Truth About Solitaire" (TTAS I think they call themselves). There seems to be some very good advice on here. Also there are companies who provide free advice which is always good!!!:T
  • shelly2212
    Options
    i live in cobham close enfield middlesex which is also owned by Peverel Om. When i first moved in 3 years ago the maintenance tax was £1200 a year its now £1760. I cant understand where they're putting this money because im not seeing any amazing improvements to warrant that kind of increase. I also have to pay £75 every 4 months because I have the priviledge of living on the ground floor! I would really like to do the right to manage but I work 2 jobs to make sure I pay peverel on time so dont really know where to start! If there are any other reseidents of cobham close - Enfield on here please get in touch. I really think this is getting ridiculous. I have also found some problems in my flat that can be hazardous. I have tried contacting Peverel about this and they told me its not their problem and to call Laing homes who built the property.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    shelly2212 wrote: »
    i live in cobham close enfield middlesex which is also owned by Peverel Om. When i first moved in 3 years ago the maintenance tax was £1200 a year its now £1760. I cant understand where they're putting this money because im not seeing any amazing improvements to warrant that kind of increase. I also have to pay £75 every 4 months because I have the priviledge of living on the ground floor! I would really like to do the right to manage but I work 2 jobs to make sure I pay peverel on time so dont really know where to start! If there are any other reseidents of cobham close - Enfield on here please get in touch. I really think this is getting ridiculous. I have also found some problems in my flat that can be hazardous. I have tried contacting Peverel about this and they told me its not their problem and to call Laing homes who built the property.

Service charges for the common parts are a completely separate issue to snagging in your private flat. Peverel are only appointed to manage the common parts, the areas or services specifically mentioned in your long lease. Bit concerned you think problems occurring in year three are to be raised with the developer - are they the result of poor workmanship and do you have a report from a professional to confirm this?

Have you formally requested a summary of the service charge accounts for each financial year you are concerned about? If so have you formally requested sight of the service contracts and invoices you wish to query? Have you read your long lease or the LEASE website already linked to?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • reggie0008
    Options
    I was charged £2000 for painting my balcony and did'nt pay and the money was attached from my bank account.
    I have another bill for 2399 but i don't have the money, i pay my mortgage and other bills but cant afford this, cant afford a solicitor, what can i do?, im worried and need advice

Reg
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    reggie0008 wrote: »
    I was charged £2000 for painting my balcony and did'nt pay and the money was attached from my bank account.
    I have another bill for 2399 but i don't have the money, i pay my mortgage and other bills but cant afford this, cant afford a solicitor, what can i do?, im worried and need advice

Reg

Being unable to pay is not an excuse in the eyes of the law, unfortunately. You are contracted to pay service charges and for major works in your long lease. Have your circumstances changed since you took on the property or did you not understand the nature of what you signed?

If the former are you confident you are claiming all the benefits you are entitled to (support for mortgage interest, consideration for service charges on JSA)? Have you read around MSE to see where you might make savings? Could you take in a lodger for a tax free income? Have you spoken to one of the debt charities about what is considered to be a priority outgoing - I suspect service charges would be above many of your other bills?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • AMILLIONDOLLARS
    Options
    reggie0008 wrote: »

Reg

By law they should have issued you with an itemised bill. You need to contact your neighbours and pool resources, find out how much you all are being charged. This company relies on neighbours not talking to each other, so thereby getting away with these huge charges. Scroll back up the page to my link about this company. The website has a lot of advice. Contact your local CAB you can advice you on what you can do.

Good luck

AMD
    Debt Free!!!
  • Nwankwokanu
    Options
    I live in the Axis romford. Peverel has again increased the monthly fees to £235. we are currently trying to get a committee together if anyone is interested.
  • Pau1
    Pau1 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Blowstar - I am a leasholder at Barrier Point and I haven't heard of any RTM action or haven't been invited to join the RTM. I am also a leaseholder of a flat at Tradewinds E16. We are going through the ‘Right to Manage’ process with a company called Urang Property Management. They set up the RTM company, obtain all leaseholder contact details, and coordinate the entire process for free as long as you appoint them as the property manager at the completion of the process. They have a good reputation, their management fees seem fair and they operate on a short termination time so we can get rid of them quickly if we don’t like them. I recommend Urang to any other blocks wanting to fire Peverel as managing agent. Good luck!
    Paul
    Tradewinds Tower
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Track the owners down using the land registry deeds data (£2 a time).
    See if more than 50% want to exercise right to self manage.

I had the same problem in our block. I did most of the ground work.
    The trouble with rented flats is that the owners won't care as much as if they lived there.

In my case I abandoned the job due to a few leaseholders being suspicious of my motives which then riled me, having too many other things to do.
    Happy chappy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport