PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bad experience with Flat maintenance agent(Peverel OM Ltd)!

Options

Comments

• AMILLIONDOLLARS
    Options
    LW1969 wrote: »
    Very true - but they came on recommendation - with many references from what I can only describe as satisfied customers! I'm only saying what I'm seeing.

L. Whittam

So you especially joined MSE TODAY to tell us how wonderfull Peverel are:rolleyes::D

AMD
    Debt Free!!!
  • HamptonCourt
    Options
    Hello, I am new to posting but have been reading the forums for a while now.

I have signed up to comment on how terrible Peverel OM are.

I am a resident of a Peverel OM managed development, which was built by a local builder then the lease was sold to Peverel.

I bought the property when it was already owned by Peverel and one of the first things I was told is that "there is no money in the pot for any repairs, maintenance or upgrades and until there is, Peverel will not be doing anything at Hampton Court". This was during the first telephone conversation with an advisor, while I was paying my £80 odd to 'register' the property in my name. Excellent start...

I could go on for hours about the substandard level of customer service, about their inability to EVER call you back as promised, their complete disregard for the residents etc etc. I honestly could write pages and pages on how they are taking our service charges and doing nothing whatsoever to our development, but I really don't have the willpower to go over everything again.

Suffice to say, they are a complete joke and they are a major contributing factor to me putting my home up for sale.

Anyone who can get away from Peverel OM, should do so as quickly as possible.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So you especially joined MSE TODAY to tell us how wonderfull Peverel are:rolleyes::D

AMD

Repeatedly. :rolleyes:
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Fire_Fox
    edited 21 August 2009 at 7:42PM
    Options
    I bought the property when it was already owned by Peverel and one of the first things I was told is that "there is no money in the pot for any repairs, maintenance or upgrades and until there is, Peverel will not be doing anything at Hampton Court". This was during the first telephone conversation with an advisor, while I was paying my £80 odd to 'register' the property in my name. Excellent start...

I could go on for hours about the substandard level of customer service, about their inability to EVER call you back as promised, their complete disregard for the residents etc etc. I honestly could write pages and pages on how they are taking our service charges and doing nothing whatsoever to our development, but I really don't have the willpower to go over everything again.

Freeholders don't have the option not to do the works that are specified in your long lease just because there is no money available to do the works. Improvements/ upgrades are usually not specified or chargeable, only repairs and maintenance. Have Peverel formally consulted leaseholders about any major works that require completing or sought to dispense with the need to consult at an LVT? Read your lease and read this website:
    http://www.lease-advice.org/publications/documents/document.asp?item=14

"Generally, the landlord is under an obligation under the lease to provide certain services, and in return has the ability to levy a service charge for doing so. The lease will say whether advance payments are to be made and, if so, whether they are based on the previous year's cost or an estimate of the cost in the year to come, for example. There will always be provision for a final charge at the year end when the actual costs are known. If interim payments have been made, and they exceed expenditure, the final 'charge' will be a credit.

If the leases in a block do not provide for interim payments, that can present a real difficulty for all concerned. Theoretically, the landlord has to buy all the services before he is reimbursed. If the lease allows him to recover interest, then at least he can afford to fund the costs, but if not, the landlord must finance the services, which may make him reluctant to fulfil his obligations."

Once you understand the legislation, start writing letters (recorded delivery) querying your service charges and the "reasonable standard" of any services provided. Phone calls are not formal communication; I rather suspect Peverel are playing on the fact that you are not familiar with the legal position and not following protocol. I find it helpful to quote parts of my long lease and the Landlord-Tenant Act 1985 at awkward managing agents.
  • HamptonCourt
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Freeholders don't have the option not to do the works that are specified in your long lease just because there is no money available to do the works. Improvements/ upgrades are usually not specified or chargeable, only repairs and maintenance. Have Peverel formally consulted leaseholders about any major works that require completing or sought to dispense with the need to consult at an LVT? Read your lease and read this website...

Thanks for the reply. I was told by my solicitor just after purchase that this was the case and they are obliged, no matter the state of funding, to conduct works.

When I conveyed this to Peverel, they told me exactly this: "You're solicitor will say that because they are acting for you but I can tell you that this isn't true".
  • Fire_Fox
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I was told by my solicitor just after purchase that this was the case and they are obliged, no matter the state of funding, to conduct works.

When I conveyed this to Peverel, they told me exactly this: "You're solicitor will say that because they are acting for you but I can tell you that this isn't true".

Bet they didn't put that into writing: the long lease is a contract with obligations on both sides. As I suggested, read your long lease and the legislation so you understand it better than they do and then quote it at them. Send all communication by recorded delivery - if you need to go to an LVT you will need a paper trail.
  • I have had no end of problems with Peverel's 'so called' management of my property in Buckinghamshire... They seemed in my opinion to be doing very little for the charges that were being requested from them.

Having numerous questions regarding their management role and works that the property required and had not been done, I obviously asked them why. After three telephone calls and an email to the property manager all of my queries got ignored.

As a result I stopped payment of the charges informing them that this would be paid once they had answered my questions to a satisfactory standard. I received no correspondence whatsoever other than demands for payment. After 6 months of trying to get answers out of them and continued demands of the 'so called' management charges had doubled with 'Administration Fees' and 'Debt collection fees'.

They did not return any calls, no messages were left on my answerphone, no attempts to answer my queries were made, just demands for the money. After 6 months I finally got a reply to my first original email from their property manager. As polite as the reply was it did not remotely answer anything. Just in my opinion more or less said they were doing what they were meant to do and whats my problem.

They even went to the lengths three times of requesting the money from my mortgage lender which I found a highly annoying activity! After more demands I finally paid only the original management fee, not the doubled fee that was being claimed. They continued to try and claim for the 'additional charges' for a further month until I wrote a quite sharp letter to Peverel and Property Debt Collection Ltd. In this I told them that if they continued to pursue their course of action I would take action of my own and issue a complaint with the OFT and any other related governing body. Suffice to say, two weeks later I received a letter saying that they were no longer going to take the matter any further...

YOU WIN! I hear you say... - Maybe not.

I have still not heard from Peverel since and am waiting for the next management statement. I anticipate the possibility of 'Misc Fees' or 'Additional Management Charges' to be added to the costs shared by all residents. If this does happen then it looks like the OFT (among others) will be getting a call ;).
  • blowstar
    blowstar Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    I just came across this on a Government website, a petition to encourage some actual regulation of the 'property management' industry. The more signatures the better ...

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/flatownerhelp/

Artistxman wrote: »
    I own a flat which is managed by Peverel OM ltd. They made a contract with builders Barratt and now in charge of the all the flats for the leasehold period of 999 years. From the start any problem was fobbed of as builder's fault including a faulty lift. It breaks down atleast 10 times/year and the repair cost is borne by all.

I also feel they charge everyone of us approx. £900/flat for 6 months (100 flats) and the service they provide is minimal such as window cleaning, external lightings etc. and very poor. I haven't seen anyone inspecting the quality of service.

As the most of the flats are rented out...it's been very difficult to get a good local committee to take on Peverel. When ever..I write to them...I get a letter with excuses and no progress. I am very frustrated by the monopoly of Peverel who seems to have national presence and get away with the expensive management bills and poor service.

Any body else feel the same here? and how shall I bring this to the attention of housebuilders and house buyers and to media.
  • blowstar
    Options
    Wow Blowstar

You need to check with the Concierge at least. I own two flats at barrier and am more than happy. The flats are in two separate staircases and both have been decorated twice in eight years. If no joy with the Concierge - I speak to the Property Manager. Works every time.

L. Whittam

Do you live on the site?
  • blowstar
    Options
    Wow Blowstar

You need to check with the Concierge at least. I own two flats at barrier and am more than happy. The flats are in two separate staircases and both have been decorated twice in eight years. If no joy with the Concierge - I speak to the Property Manager. Works every time.

L. Whittam

Do you live on the site?

And can you get Nicola Holmes the Property Manager to speak to you? I've been waiting for her to 'return my call' for over a year now. The last time I spoke to her 'office' they told me she MIGHT be available at a specific date and hour three weeks later.

Rubbish service, outrageous charges, an organised scam on the service-charge paying 'tenants'. Time for Govermnet regulation or at least a MSE campaign !!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure