Currys & Coverplan by Mastercare

Options
I'd just like to make you aware of this so you don't get conned into buying one!

On Jan 1st 2004, i bought a dvd recorder from Currys, together with a Coverplan Warranty which i was told by the salesman, covered me for 3 years, + 1 year manufacturers guarantee, the DVD/RW cost me 200 quid, and the warranty a further 80 quid.

As usual, the bloody thing packed up a week after the manufacturers guarantee ran out - no prob i thought, i'll just claim on the warranty. I took it to my local store, where i was duly told yes it was under cover and would be repaired with 6 WEEKS - if i buy one at ASDA, i get a straight replacement!!!, still i asked about a loan recorder as i only used it to record my CCTV - no chance i was curtly told. 4 weeks passed, i thought i'd phone and ask about it - IT WAS STILL UNDER THE COUNTER!!!!!!! another 4 weeks passed and i decided i'd waited long enough, it was pointed out to me by a m8 that i coulld have claimed a new one after 6 weeks under the terms of the warranty GRRRRR!

I went back to the shop and they agreed that was right, but when i went to choose a new one i was told "No" I was only entitled to VOUCHERS and what was worse, they would only be issued to the current value of an identical model. Of course, the current price of an identical spec machine now is £95. Could it get any worse? YES, the vouchers could only be issued by post, which took a further two weeks, and to rub salt into the already gaping wound, my warranty was no longer valid after i claimed on it!!, so i work it out that i lost out to the tune of £180, and i STILL had to use the bloody vouchers in CURRYS, so i ended up forking out another £200 to get something that was actually any good, so in the end, i lost out to the tune of £380.

You might think my tale of woe ends here but no, as a final kick in the !!!!!! (as if it didn't already look like a chewed orange), i was asked if i'd like to buy a new warranty - "Surely you jest" i asked, "No i was told, "this warranty is much better than the old one - we scrapped the other one because of the complaints....." :eek:

The moral to this tale? - it's true - extended warranty is not worth the vouchers they're printed on - DON'T DO IT!

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,298 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [
    The moral to this tale? - it's true - extended warranty is not worth the vouchers they're printed on - DON'T DO IT![/QUOTE]

I didn't think anybody did buy these extended guarantees anymore?

It makes me laugh though, I bought a £9.99 CD player from Curry's and they tried to persaude me to take out the extra cover for a further 8.99!

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • fatboyonadiet
    fatboyonadiet Posts: 5,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've taken extended warranties with www.domgen.com in the past, had things go wrong and found them sorted out pretty easily, they've twice replaced items too as they would cost too much to repair.
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • aminchom
    aminchom Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have appliance insurance from norwich union direct (ONLINE). Last year it paid for a sky callout and new box and repair to dish. This year it has replaced my 4 year old dishwasher. It covers appliances like TV, dvd, sky and washing machine, dishwasher etc. It does not cover pc's or central heating. Details here SORRY - just found they are not taking on new customers :( There are however other companies who do multi appliance insurance

e.g. http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk/

I cannot vouch for any but I am quite haooy with NUD and they say they may be reopening new policies soon
    Gas doc on the loose
  • zodiac
    zodiac Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    Options
    The trick is to take the fuse out a week before the shop guarantee runs out, that way you get a new one with another years guarantee.
    Been doing that for years never fails to work (if you go in on a Saturday its even better, Saturday staff dont really give a @#*$ about what goes on as they're only there for 10 hours a week)
    I remember when this was just a little website! :money:
  • Outtathaway
    Outtathaway Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    My flatmate had the exact same problem. He bought an xbox when they first came out and paid for about £400. He took out the 5 year coverplan thingy and a few months ago it stopped reading discs. He took it to a store and they said they'd send him vouchers as replacement and he was able to keep his old xbox. 3 Weeks passed and nothing so he phoned up and the woman instore had messed up so it would be another 2-4 weeks to get the vouchers. When they arrived Currys had sent him £80 for a new machine (when new xboxs cost about £100) and a voucher for £25 for another coverplan
    Titch :)
  • Liquid_Stool
    Liquid_Stool Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    ha - like we'd want another coverplan eh? :mad:
  • Strike_Team
    Strike_Team Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    The biggest rip with extended warranties is that they cover the time in the appliance's lifespan when it's leart likely to fail. Electronic equipment usually fails in the first few weeks/months of its life, which is covered by your statutory rights to refund/replacement, or by the almost-universal 1-year manufacturers warranty. Either that or it'll fail after 5-10 years due to age, wear or electronic component failure. The warranty covers years 2,3 and 4 of its life, when it's quite unlikely to give you any problems.

With the very low price of electronic goods at the moment, the Likes of Currys and Dixons seem to make most of their money from the warranties. No wonder they push them so hard.
  • shrek101
    shrek101 Posts: 2,249 Forumite
    Options
    Yes waste of money and always have been. Often people don't realise that they are covered by law even after the 12 months guarantee. So when that TV is dead after 12 months they are obliged to fix it or replace it depending on the fault.

No longer a user, goodbye folks. PLEASE delete my account. Thank you
  • zappomatic
    zappomatic Posts: 616 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The biggest moral is not to buy from Currys!
  • Strike_Team
    Options
    Not necessarily. If the item is at a good price (however some stuff in the big-name electrical shops is shockingly overpriced), then buy it, but avoid the extended warranty of course. It's good consumer revenge as they don't make much profit if you don't buy the warranty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure