PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 3rd June 2019

Natty68
Natty68 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 6 June 2019 at 8:54PM in Old style MoneySaving
Welcome to the Weekly Flylady Thread

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
WUDUPA ~ Washed up, dried up, put away
WUALTD ~ Washed up and left to dry
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Some of our abbreviations: DH- dear husband, OH- other half, KH/CF- affectionate term for ex husband or partner DS/DD- dear son/daughter, DGC- dear grandchild, WM- washing machine, DW- dishwasher, LR/DR- living/dining room, RoD- room of doom, Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al- supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Open windows, loud music and hearty singing is an absolute must for every days activities.. it is good for the lungs!

Mad Monday - Kitchen of Kreation
Level One
Open the blinds/curtains and let in the light.
Clear and wipe the worksurfaces & table
Put used teatowels in wash
Level Two
Wipe the little appliances and put them back in their homes
Wipe over the cupboards and large appliances
Clean out drawers and filters
Clean out microwave – a little lemon in a bowl of water heated up for 5 mins makes it a a lot easier to clean.
Level Three
Sweep and mop the floor
Shine the grotty windows
Wipe out the fridge.. meal plan for June!
Drag everything out of the tins cupboard.. wipe it out and put back the bits you are keeping.. Get rid of the things you will never eat or incorporate them into your weekly meal plan!!!
Extras
  • HHI
  • Run washing machine through a hot wash with white vinegar (in the fabric conditioner compartment). Clean the detergent drawer.
  • Shake out door mats, leave outside or pop in washing machine on a low temperature wash
  • Fill a bag for charity shop
  • Deweb the downstairs of the house!!
  • Scrub down the woodwork.. skirtings, door frames etc

Thumping Tuesday ~ Living Room, Hall and Stairs
Level One …
Open the windows and turn on some music!
Wipe and water the plants
Wipe over sticky sofas.
Level Two…
Dusting, even if around everything
Remove clutter making sure stairs especially are safe
Clean TV, any fluffy electricals and defluff behind the radiators!
Cull any old/unwanted magazines - maybe your local Drs/Dentist would like them.
Level Three …
Wipe paintworks and any grubby marks off walls etc
Vacuum under any furniture you can.. please don't injure yourselves!
Clean any other glass like mirrors, pictures etc
Tidy shoes, coats and bags .. wash any that need washing and putting away now we have warmer weather!!
HHC in the porch

Extras
  • Clear a hotspot or 3!
  • Clean light shades/fittings and lamps
  • Clean a window or two.
  • Wash any smelly soft furnishings!
  • Clear one hotspot, or just spend at least 5 minutes tackling it
  • Wash a pair of curtains, or some nets or a throw from a chair or bed
  • Say goodbye to any old candles, artificial flowers past their best or broken ornaments.
  • Groom the hairy pets... or the children lol
  • 29 fling boogie

Hump Day Wednesday ~ Master Bedroom & Landing
Level One …
Open the window and air the room
Strip off smelly bedding and sling it in the wash, replace well before bedtime!
Clear some floordrobe
Level Two …
Vacuum the mattress and air the duvet (I have been known to dangle mine over the whirly gig if it's nice)
Put the floordrobe in the wardrobe
Find 10 things to get rid of!
Level Three …
Make sure those smoke alarms are working!!! (do not set fire to anything.. just press the button!!)
Vacuum the landing and bedroom.. starting at the bottom of the stairs!!!!
Remove anything that should be elsewhere.. your bedroom is NOT a shed!!
Remove some dust bunnies and wipe over the light shades

Extras
  • Wash any curtains that need doing
  • HHI
  • Clean the windows
  • 15 minutes sort out of the landing gibble.. see if you can find something to rehome
  • Sort out one cupboard, just the one!!!

Thursday Scrubfest- Bathroom and Study/Pc Area
Level One …

Clean & wash floors in these rooms
Air the room.. fling open the windows and let in the summery air!!
Replace sponges and toothbrushes that need doing!!
Level Two …
Clean baths, toilets, don't forget the outside and under the rim and sinks.. shine the taps with a toothbrush!!!!
Dust PC and clear any clutter from desk and wipe off those cup rings!!
Clean the windows in these rooms...
Wipe keyboard, house phone, sockets, switches and mouse etc
Level Three …
Wipe down tiles in bathroom.. defragment your pc while doing this.
Empty and clean out all the upstairs bins!
Clean shower screen/curtain if you have one/if required
Collect any stray laundry from upstairs.
HHG.. if your garden is already beautiful go out and enjoy it for half an hour!!

Extras…
  • Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
  • Fling all those empty bottles and tubes
  • Binbag dance.... ready.. set.. go!!!!!!!!
  • Empty out the bathroom cabinet.. clean it.. fling what you don't need and stash the rest in a beautiful manner.. in alphabetical order please!
  • Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains etc whatever needs cleaning.
  • Do any toothbrushes/sponges etc need replacing?
  • HHI... a bit more gone!
  • Throw out/get rid of 3 things from every room in your house!!

Freaky Friday- those frightening kids rooms and spare rooms
Level One …

Clear away anything that isn't in it's place, clothes, toys, books etc
Spend at least half an hour doing something for yourself!!!!! paint your nails, make an appointment to have your hair done, a lovely soak in the bath.. whatever you feel like!!
Level Two …
Vacuum the floor
Dusting.. all those shelves and flat fluffy surfaces!! Don’t forget the light shade and curtain pole!!!
Strip beds, turn and vacuum mattresses!! and replace with fresh linen .. check if duvets need freshening up too!!
Level Three …
Drag everything out from under the bed too.. there is floor under there!!
Sort through a cupboard/chest of drawers and get the clothes out which are no longer wearable, too small or out of season!
Wipe the grotty patches of the walls and woodwork
Wipe the radiators, skirtings and window & door frames!

Extras
  • Wash a set of curtains, nets, duvet or throw
  • Sort through one box or toys.. if you have no children find a box of junk.. is there anything that needs to go?
  • End of week fling!! grab a binbag and fill it with stuff to leave the house.. rubbish or charity shop or to donate to a friend!
  • Clean out any pets!
Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️

Comments

• BadCat18
    BadCat18 Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks for the thread. I’m in for the new week. Working from home tomorrow so will tackle some of that before starting paid stuff.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,995 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    ty for fred.. i will do a proper post in a bit
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks Natty.
    Full day at the paid stuff tomorrow
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,841 Forumite
    Morning

Thank you for the all the work in the thread I'm in

So far fed the cat
    And opened the curtains and windows.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • BadCat18
    BadCat18 Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Morning all

Cats fed, curtains and windows open, I have a fasting appointment this morning so need to distract myself from thinking about breakfast!!

Will shower and dress now and then do a bit in the kitchen and an hour of paid stuff before going out I think.

Back later... toodle pip!
  • Fayolle
    Fayolle Posts: 2,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good morning
    I’m in please. Thank you for all the threads.
    I’ve opened the blinds, so tick that off. QHI and clean clothes sorted. WM loaded for later.
    Full day at paid stuff with breaks out to fit in DD pickup. Shattered already after a busy (good busy) weekend and a rubbish night’s sleep.
    Have a lovely day everyone.
  • roundtuit
    roundtuit Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    Natty68 wrote: »
    Open windows, loud music and hearty singing is an absolute must for every days activities.. it is good for the lungs!

I do like to sing along to whatever fits my mood - after several weeks of Cat Stevens I switched CDs yesterday - Elvis singing gospel :D Not too loud though - I've been on the receiving end of loud music in the past :( Golly, just thinking about it is making me anxious :o

Change the subject: I remembered- towels / tea towels are swishing so that I can peg them out before I trot off to work. And I'm on list :D Curtains are open too - no blinds here.

I've made the bed, and I'm washed, dressed, packed up and breakfasted. Feed the birds and put out the recycling is next.

Wishing you all a good day
    Rxx
    IT ONLY TAKES SMALL DAILY ACTIONS
    FOR MAGIC TO HAPPEN
    Rosemary Ikpeme
    :D
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Morning everyone. Thanks for the list.

I may leave the kitchen jobs till tomorrow. I've already fed myself and the dogs and dusted the living room. The rest of my list looks like this-

Wash up
    Sweep hard floors
    Get dressed
    Change bedding
    Walk dogs
    Pop into town
    Hoover carpets
    Steam mop hard floors
    Meet friends later
    Match tonight

Would also like to do some gardening.

Have a great day everyone.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks for the new thread Natty!

Yesterday I did nothing at all :rotfl: I took my niece out for a few hours, then went to see LFC's winners parade with DS. Next thing I knew it was 9pm and we were still in town :rotfl: We're both feeling tired (and in my case also sore) today, so I'm not attempting to go beyond level 1 in the kitchen and will instead concentrate on paperwork. I'll catch up later in the week, but I'm crossing off the things we don't need to do. DS has gone into school to revise as he concentrates better there. I'm going to grab my personal list from last week and tag it onto the end of the list so I remember what I need to get done :o I do NOT plan on tackling it all today. I am however going to enjoy the peace and quiet as my ears are still ringing from yesterday.

Mad Monday - Kitchen of Kreation
    Level One
    [STRIKE]Open the blinds/curtains and let in the light.[/STRIKE]
    Clear and wipe the worksurfaces
    Put used teatowels in wash - towel wash was done yesterday but this will need doing again on Wednesday probably
    Level Two
    Wipe the little appliances and put them back in their homes
    Wipe over the cupboards and large appliances
    Clean out drawers and filters
    Clean out microwave
    Level Three
    Sweep and mop the floor
    Shine the grotty windows
    Wipe out the fridge.. meal plan for June!
    Extras
    • HHI
    • Deweb the downstairs of the house!!
    • Scrub down the woodwork.. skirtings, door frames etc
    PERSONAL
    HHG - need to weed pavers, pick up rubbish that's blown in & poo pick.
    Laundry catch up : sofa throws (x2 normally), dog toys/bedding (x2) cleaning cloths (when cleaning is done)
    Clean FOH - Clean outside of windows, wash down front door, clean brass, sweep pavement etc.
    Money - update finances, set budget for June (remember Mr A purchase which won't clear until Monday), update spreadsheets.
    Comp - update ALL calenders so they're correct adding in DS stuff (14th party).
    Desk - Cold Callers sign for door (laminate and put up), clear letter rack of as much as possible, update paperwork to do list (include student finance stuff), Write sewing list, write Ar90s list out on paper

WORK
    Pre-C8 - Put books and paperwork away where they should be!
    C8 - text customers re deliveries, look for aftershaves requested for sav, check hair dye situation, returns onto system
    C9 - write out text orders then reply to customers confirming I have them, - sort through late books for orders, sort out when orders would arrive, go through rep books and sort my own order out for books etc
    c10 - prep books (if possible include trend booklet), prep newsletter, write up calling book
    General - start double checking invoices etc and entering the broken down version into software ready for tax return.

Right. Before I do anything else, I'm going to do a HHC of dailies as there is stuff out all over the place as I was too tired last night to do anything other than eat and go to bed. My room is already pretty tidy as I did it before breakfast today so I could actually get dressed :rotfl: Towels DS washed yesterday are out on the line blowing so I'll get the sofa throws in the WM as my first job. :wave:
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,080 Forumite
    So sorry to hear that your MiL's 'support' after discharge isn't going to be that helpful or supportive, Narco.
    (((Hugs))) Dancemum. I wish there were something I could do to make your life a bit easier. You seem to be really going through it at the moment and it sounds both worrying and exhausting.
    Have a lovely holiday Ionafan.
    Nicki, I think you're probably the only parent who has a teenager who generates that many towels and flannels. Normally the issue is getting them to wash at all!

Dog walked, malevolent paperwork/emails sorted once and for all so it never progressed beyond tadpole stage thank goodness, new lodger settled in last night and paid cash up front for four weeks and 27 parking permits (*kerching*) and this on top of the American's 17 night stay for three people also in cash (triple *kerching*) and am now settled with the dog on the futon behind me and two large kittens draped over the desk. Not sure how conducive that is to actually getting any real work done.

It's the first opportunity I've had to have a crack at sorting out the credit card balance which has been annoying me for several weeks, and the thousands of loose photographs I got out of the attic to sort out the day before the stray cat was discovered three weeks ago. They've been sorted into piles in boxes and trays on the floor all this time. The cats have even made themselves beds in amongst them.
    Better is good enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport