Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 7th May 19, 6:27 PM
    • 4,647Posts
    • 79,720Thanks
    Chrisv
    Slimming Towards Summer - Slimming World support thread 2019
    • 7th May 19, 6:27 PM
    Slimming Towards Summer - Slimming World support thread 2019 7th May 19 at 6:27 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you, go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list; so that's pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra choice and one Healthy Extra choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66049704&postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Not wanting something is as good as possessing it – Donald Horban
Page 11
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 16th May 19, 7:07 PM
    • 2,311 Posts
    • 16,620 Thanks
    greentiger
    Thanks for the sweet omelette recipe, bubbs, I fancy those meatballs too. And thanks, Denise, for cooking advice.

Despite my worst fears, I kept the gain to under 1lb; hoping Ill get a better result next week (from better effort, of course).
    Stashbusting 16
    Reading Challenge 2/26
    Film Challenge 8/52
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 16th May 19, 7:24 PM
    • 55,230 Posts
    • 641,625 Thanks
    bubbs
    Thanks for the sweet omelette recipe, bubbs, I fancy those meatballs too. And thanks, Denise, for cooking advice.

Despite my worst fears, I kept the gain to under 1lb; hoping Ill get a better result next week (from better effort, of course).
    Originally posted by greentiger
    You are welcome, just had one tonight
    That's ok under a lb, this week is a new week
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500 £770 for 2018
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :- 5 st
    • sarymclary
    • By sarymclary 16th May 19, 9:44 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 8,906 Thanks
    sarymclary
    Evening all,
    Not had a chance to fully catch up, will do that in a mo, but about to grab a shower and get in bed, and just remembered to post.

Also forgot to weigh this morning. Have been leaving for work earlier, and it really makes me rushed in the mornings. Was late leaving work and I almost garotted myself trying to get my sports bra on for the exercise class tonight I was hurrying that much! Lesson learned, leave more time to change for clubbercise. I'm getting fitter though, I can now jump more, and for longer, and I'm feeling more energetic throughout the whole class. We did about 3 songs almost fully doing squats this week - I'm sure the trainer is trying to kill us!

Meals today:
    B - banana, nectarine, passion fruit skyr yogurt (1.5)
    L - salad: lettuce, cucumber, peppers, carrot, sweetcorn, ham & chicken, rice, dressing (2)
    snack - 0% greek yogurt with passion fruit, mango & strawberries
    D - SW chorizo & chicken paella
    snack - 2 ryvita HEB
    HEA - milk in tea/coffees

Right, must remember to weigh in tomorrow.
    One day the clocks will stop, and time won't mean a thing

Be nice to your children, they'll choose your care home
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 17th May 19, 7:24 AM
    • 825 Posts
    • 4,768 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Morning All
    A disappointing sts for me this week, I have been really good on plan all week with the exception of Sunday, but even that wasn't too bad as I had banked loads of syns in to use. Still will see what happens next week.
    Day off today so housework to catch up on before work again tomorrow.plan for today

B fruit and yoghurt (1)
    L ham and cheese salad with wlm roll (hex a+b)
    D grilled makeral with new pot and spinach and green beans (from old sw mag)

Might have a crunchie later! (6)

Have a good day all
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 17th May 19, 7:28 AM
    • 3,984 Posts
    • 17,643 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    - 1/2lb for me this week. At least it is a loss and a start for my Cancer Research fundraiser.
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • Missli
    • By Missli 17th May 19, 8:02 AM
    • 7,159 Posts
    • 16,856 Thanks
    Missli
    3lbs!!! this week already!!! I'm so happy. I weighed in at 158lbs!
    Started at 11.5 stone 11th May 2019
    17/5 11.3!
    • maman
    • By maman 17th May 19, 9:40 AM
    • 19,774 Posts
    • 118,187 Thanks
    maman
    Well done on your losses missli and gtq. Always good to see the scales going down.

Hopefully you can see the benefit next week sirens. It doesn't always work on a weekly cycle.

Might have a crunchie later! (6)
    Originally posted by SIRENS

I noticed last week, when I had my last Crunchie of the season, that the multi pack size (7.5 syns for 32g) has shrunk over time. Obviously a rip off from a mse point of view but good for SW.

I'll do my meal plan and shop today but I do have enough in (just) for today's plan.

EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, HEB toast, baked beans, fried egg, HEA milk for drinks
    L: sardines and beetroot
    D: Aldi beefburger, SW chips, broccoli, mushrooms, tomatoes
    Syns: weekend wine
    • sarymclary
    • By sarymclary 17th May 19, 12:43 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 8,906 Thanks
    sarymclary
    Bit bummed to report +1lb. It's my first gain since starting January. Suspect the pie last week didn't help

Hey ho, on the plus side, I've found out how to work Bubbs' suggested picture hosting site, and here's my lunch today in my nifty little poundland lunch box
    [IMG][/IMG]

Meal plan today:
    B - banana
    L - mixed salad, savoury rice, ham & chicken with LF dressing (2); 0% greek yog, mango & strawberries
    D - HM burgers (2 for M&S seasoning mix), SW chips & mixed salad. Dressing/ketchup (3)
    HEA - milk in tea/coffee
    HEB - none planned

• Vegastare
    • By Vegastare 17th May 19, 2:45 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    Vegastare
    Sorry not been around much this week, he is off work this week, and I no sooner get the kitchen clear that it's make another brew or what times lunch, today we were going out shopping as dull - sun comes out and he announces he is gardening/watching cricket on tv!!!. No sooner does the football finish than the darn cricket starts. We will go tomorrow he says, no says I too busy Sat/Sun. So my day has been gardening till now! With him in and out watching cricket If he dares suggest his Mum comes on Sunday for dinner will possibly commit a serious crime!!!

Roll on Monday The minute I sit down he wants something,

B Bran, berries and from fra 0%
    L Salmon salad with new pots
    D Jack 2 SW sausage onion.mush,toms

Catch up soon - I hope!!! Have a good weekend all
    • maman
    • By maman 17th May 19, 2:55 PM
    • 19,774 Posts
    • 118,187 Thanks
    maman
    Hope war doesn't break out anytime soon vegastare . I almost never take my DH shopping, he's a nightmare. I'm much happier on my own but he does come and carry the bags indoors and put stuff away. He leaves loading the fridge and freezer to me though because that's a skilled job.

Your lunch looks delicious sary . Did you make it yourself? I've just bought BGTY mayo and creme fraiche for a potato salad tomorrow. 0.5 syns each per tbsp.

Just remembered the Aldi burgers are 1 syn each so need to add that to today. I often make my own but sometimes nice to have a change.
    • poundsinbucks
    • By poundsinbucks 17th May 19, 2:59 PM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 4,253 Thanks
    poundsinbucks
    Well done on the losses guys! And nice lunchbox sary, does it have some sort of divider then between the halves? And on being able to post pix .

Today is OHs birthday, he loves fruitcake, so he is allowed a slice (or two) today and will hopefully take the rest to work Monday. Steak for dinner as a special treat tonight. Considered going to steak restaurant, but think it is safer eating at home, will not get a cheesy scone with butter put in front of me then . We have a lunch invite for Sunday at a neighbour’s, so saving syns just in case. And also a day out Monday to see relatives, but they’re all doing SW so should be ok foodwise. Meant to be Tasters at group Tuesday, will have to put thinking hat on and see what I can rustle up Tues am. Keeping fingers crossed scales go in right direction this week!

Nice weather seems to have finished here, overcast and a few spits of rain and much colder, so bbq plans have been abandoned and birthday hammock is being tried out indoors .

Poundsinbucks x
    SW -3st 5.5lbs
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 17th May 19, 4:16 PM
    • 55,230 Posts
    • 641,625 Thanks
    bubbs
    - 1/2lb for me this week. At least it is a loss and a start for my Cancer Research fundraiser.
    Originally posted by Gettingtherequickly
    3lbs!!! this week already!!! I'm so happy. I weighed in at 158lbs!
    Originally posted by Missli
    Well done both
    Bit bummed to report +1lb. It's my first gain since starting January. Suspect the pie last week didn't help

Hey ho, on the plus side, I've found out how to work Bubbs' suggested picture hosting site, and here's my lunch today in my nifty little poundland lunch box
    [IMG][/IMG]

Meal plan today:
    B - banana
    L - mixed salad, savoury rice, ham & chicken with LF dressing (2); 0% greek yog, mango & strawberries
    D - HM burgers (2 for M&S seasoning mix), SW chips & mixed salad. Dressing/ketchup (3)
    HEA - milk in tea/coffee
    HEB - none planned
    Originally posted by sarymclary
    Sary i make a mean pie totally on plan from ww wrap

But i do have a pie machine.

Evening all
    Will be back later as just having tea in a few mins
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500 £770 for 2018
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 17th May 19, 4:19 PM
    • 55,230 Posts
    • 641,625 Thanks
    bubbs
    Well done on the losses guys! And nice lunchbox sary, does it have some sort of divider then between the halves? And on being able to post pix .

Today is OHs birthday, he loves fruitcake, so he is allowed a slice (or two) today and will hopefully take the rest to work Monday. Steak for dinner as a special treat tonight. Considered going to steak restaurant, but think it is safer eating at home, will not get a cheesy scone with butter put in front of me then . We have a lunch invite for Sunday at a neighbour’s, so saving syns just in case. And also a day out Monday to see relatives, but they’re all doing SW so should be ok foodwise. Meant to be Tasters at group Tuesday, will have to put thinking hat on and see what I can rustle up Tues am. Keeping fingers crossed scales go in right direction this week!

Nice weather seems to have finished here, overcast and a few spits of rain and much colder, so bbq plans have been abandoned and birthday hammock is being tried out indoors .

Poundsinbucks x
    Originally posted by poundsinbucks
    Happy Birthday to your DH
    I must have missed tasters as not been to one this year unless it was when i had my op but need seen it mentioned on our page
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • poundsinbucks
    • By poundsinbucks 17th May 19, 6:10 PM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 4,253 Thanks
    poundsinbucks
    Happy Birthday to your DH
    I must have missed tasters as not been to one this year unless it was when i had my op but need seen it mentioned on our page
    Originally posted by bubbs
    I think this will be our 4th tasters since starting halfway thru Jan!

P x
    SW -3st 5.5lbs
    • maman
    • By maman 17th May 19, 6:17 PM
    • 19,774 Posts
    • 118,187 Thanks
    maman

P x
    Because I only go to WI occasionally I am always surprised (and embarrassed ) by taster sessions.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 17th May 19, 7:20 PM
    • 55,230 Posts
    • 641,625 Thanks
    bubbs

P x
    bloody hell!!
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • sarymclary
    • By sarymclary 17th May 19, 9:50 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 8,906 Thanks
    sarymclary
    maman I don't make the mixed salad as such, I buy it in pre-prepped boxes from Aldi and at £1.25 for a large box to serve 4 people it's better value than buying the ingredients. It also stays fresh for a full week, so I buy about 3 boxes each week, and it's perfect as side salads like we had tonight with burgers.

poundsinbucks the lunchbox has the integrated spoon/fork and a folding hard cover that snaps across the top of the large compartment (you can just see the 'hinge' of the flap to the left of the pic). I also place a piece of clingfilm over the top of the salad and fruit before the flap goes down, just to keep any salad dressing out of my fruit, as I keep the box in my cool bag with the fruit part on the bottom, so the salad is upside down IYKWIM.

bubbs what flavour was the pie? The pie maker makes that look incredibly professional!

The HM burgers tonight were an absolute winner, and will definitely make them again. It was only OH and I for dinner tonight, so I used 500g of lean mince to make 4 burgers and we had 2 each - little porky piggies that we are. I'm going to look at the ingredients though and see if I can't adapt it to make my own, and make it a bit more SW friendly (it's an M&S seasoning kit). It was really scrummy though, and felt like a proper treat.

I'm not a lover of mayo, but do like caesar dressing, so I look for any of the low fat ones available. I've got the M&S one in my drawer at work to have with salad, and also have the Aldi low fat french dressing. Both are 1 syn per tbsp I believe (anyone got a syn estimator on that?)

I'm going away from Sunday until Tuesday night for the funeral, and know a meal out is being planned. I've no idea about where I will be eating, or even what is near to the hotel, so am going to have to think on my feet, and make the best choices of what's available for a few days. Not much I can do to even take anything with me, as not like I have my own cooking facilities, etc. Pray for me fellow SW-ers

• maman
    • By maman 17th May 19, 10:25 PM
    • 19,774 Posts
    • 118,187 Thanks
    maman
    sary , the Aldi French dressing is 0.5 per tbsp but the M&S is 2 for the creamy reduced fat Caesar. So neither too bad especially if you really like the M&S.

Not sure of the timing when you're travelling but try to limit off plan meals by taking anything you can with you. Hotel breakfast can be OK too. I have eggs, bacon, beans, tomatoes and mushrooms. I avoid sausages and iffy about bread. If I'm fancying a few syns I'll maybe have some black pudding and/or hash browns which aren't as bad as I'd thought. Many hotels also have SW friendly cereal like Weetabix or fresh fruit to start.
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 18th May 19, 6:12 AM
    • 6,973 Posts
    • 32,281 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    Good morning all - a measly 1/2lb loss for me this week. Really disappointed because, although I have had two meals out, I didn't go mad, chose sensibly, and was good as gold the rest of the time I was really hoping for my stone award this week, not to be alas. I will plod on and hope it shows next week.

Going to do a freezer inventory now then make a meal plan for the week and go shopping. Definitely having HM burgers for tea tonight though after all the talk. I make mine with baked beans, red onion, and grated cheese in.

Have a good weekend everyone xxx

EDIT-

Freezer inventory, meal plan and shopping list done. Today's plan:

B - Coffee, 2x Malted Milks
    D - Carrot and lentil soup
    T - HM burgers (lean mince, baked beans, red onion, cheese), with portobello mushrooms, tomatoes and braised cabbage, sweet potato wedges
    HEA - Milk and cheese
    HEB - None
    Syns - Sugar in coffee (5), Malted Milks (4), probably some chocolate later as a weigh day treat.
    Last edited by Tete en l'Air; 18-05-2019 at 8:32 AM.
    Slimming towards Summer: 1/10 | Total loss: 13 lbs
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 18th May 19, 10:19 AM
    • 55,230 Posts
    • 641,625 Thanks
    bubbs
    maman I don't make the mixed salad as such, I buy it in pre-prepped boxes from Aldi and at £1.25 for a large box to serve 4 people it's better value than buying the ingredients. It also stays fresh for a full week, so I buy about 3 boxes each week, and it's perfect as side salads like we had tonight with burgers.

poundsinbucks the lunchbox has the integrated spoon/fork and a folding hard cover that snaps across the top of the large compartment (you can just see the 'hinge' of the flap to the left of the pic). I also place a piece of clingfilm over the top of the salad and fruit before the flap goes down, just to keep any salad dressing out of my fruit, as I keep the box in my cool bag with the fruit part on the bottom, so the salad is upside down IYKWIM.

bubbs what flavour was the pie? The pie maker makes that look incredibly professional!

The HM burgers tonight were an absolute winner, and will definitely make them again. It was only OH and I for dinner tonight, so I used 500g of lean mince to make 4 burgers and we had 2 each - little porky piggies that we are. I'm going to look at the ingredients though and see if I can't adapt it to make my own, and make it a bit more SW friendly (it's an M&S seasoning kit). It was really scrummy though, and felt like a proper treat.

I'm not a lover of mayo, but do like caesar dressing, so I look for any of the low fat ones available. I've got the M&S one in my drawer at work to have with salad, and also have the Aldi low fat french dressing. Both are 1 syn per tbsp I believe (anyone got a syn estimator on that?)

I'm going away from Sunday until Tuesday night for the funeral, and know a meal out is being planned. I've no idea about where I will be eating, or even what is near to the hotel, so am going to have to think on my feet, and make the best choices of what's available for a few days. Not much I can do to even take anything with me, as not like I have my own cooking facilities, etc. Pray for me fellow SW-ers
    Originally posted by sarymclary
    Sary,
    It was steak onion and mushroom, sometimes i do chicken and mushroom, i cook the ingredients first usually the day before and then put them in cold, so by the time the "pastry"is cooked it's warmed through.
    This is the pie maker i use, i didnt pay thhat much though and cashback paid for it you can also make nice deep quiches in there

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salter-EK1691N-Double-Non-Stick-Electric/dp/B07JC53SCN/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_3?adgrpid=52788200625&gclid=EAIa IQobChMIzcnukeyk4gIVSpztCh0esArVEAAYASAAEgJtOPD_Bw E&hvadid=259083396852&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007208&hvn etw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7549295762771505344 &hvtargid=aud-613328383199%3Akwd-313504367930&hydadcr=18511_1725405&keywords=salter +pie+maker&qid=1558174453&s=gateway&sr=8-3-fkmrnull

I saw this burger sauce on one of the slimming pages earlier, don't know is any good to you?or could adapt to what you want in it?
    1/2 syn for 2 tbs

Morning all
    Tete, 1/2 lb well done it's the right direction
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

6Posts Today

3,809Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• RT @helen_undy: It's hard campaigning at the moment. Trying to cut through amid Brexit votes, protests & political resignations can feel fu?

• Follow Martin