Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 27th Dec 18, 5:48 PM
    • 1,564Posts
    • 19,139Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life
    • 27th Dec 18, 5:48 PM
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life 27th Dec 18 at 5:48 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/Sa1sysoo words “A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019!"

I made a fairly good start in 2018 but 2019 is THE YEAR that I finally get to grips with a full declutter - I would like to have NO rooms/cupboards/drawers of Doom & I would like to have a revamped bathroom & fully decorated house My DH is going to be very busy

Plenty of options available on numbering the clutter out

2019 in 2019 or 52 in 52 weeks even 365 in 365 days & if you are feeling really adventurous a la basketcase - you can weigh the clutter out

Whichever you choose or you may choose not to number, we would love to hear both your success stories & your ways/methods of decluttering - they may not have worked for you but they may work for someone else

I am hoping that everyone who posted on the 2018 thread will also post on the 2019 thread

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!

MrsSD

P.S. Hope this works as it is my very first attempt at starting a Thread
Page 108
    • bit by bit
    • By bit by bit 16th May 19, 4:06 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    bit by bit
    I haven't been in for a little while as I have been a little busy on the allotment while I am free. I am on holiday for two weeks. This week was allotment and 'sorting', next week Greece with some friends .

Unfortunately I have been totally out of sorts physically having done the Moonwalk on Saturday night. 26.2 miles. I did burn a lot of calories in the 24 hours between getting out of bed on Saturday morning and completing the walk on Sunday. 9200 plus the total walking distance was 33 miles in 24 hours. then I did 3 more getting home. It was the cheapest night I have ever had in London

Apart from decluttering calories I have managed to get something done that has been waiting for a while. I had 7 bags of stuff for the local refugee charity. I dropped them off today. This included a bag of sanitary wear, a bag of blankets, a bag of boots, 2 bags of sleeping bags and 2 of coats.

They were very happy and gave me a cup of coffee. I have seen more indepth list which I can help them with so I said I would be back in a month.
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, cancer survivor. Aiming to retire at 55 in February 2021- 23 months to go.
    Challenges 2019: MFW 2019 #164 £1045/723200 Make 2019 in 2019 #70 £679/£2019 Stash Busting 2019 3/12 projects A Clutter free Life 2019 40/60 bags and 6 large items.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 16th May 19, 4:33 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,255 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I went through my toiletries today as I bought some kitchen utensil trays to store them in the chest of drawers.

I am going to throw away a couple of the old storage boxes as they were looking very grubby and they are made from material to I couldn't really clean them.

I really have a lot of products, it's quite ridiculous. It's easier to see how much I have now it's all displayed properly.

I am going to use up a face mask, the last of a cleanser to shave my legs and the last of a face serum tonight. The perfume should be used up in a couple of days.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • tboo
    • By tboo 16th May 19, 5:34 PM
    • 855 Posts
    • 4,472 Thanks
    tboo
    Taken around 50 books to the local tip's book collection bin.

Declutting (unsubscribing) emails that I no longer have need for as soon as they pop in - should (hopefully) clean up my email.box.

Went through my wardrobe clothes - by looking at them I thought some of them still fitted but after trying them on they didn't - boohoo.
    Also some were tossed because they weren't my style anymore.
    All in the CS bag

Also went through DD's wardrobe - bagged up for CS
    Started on the No Clutter thread - 25/01/2018
    “You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” —Walter Hagen
    Mortgage free 2/07/18. 9 years early

• somerandom
    • By somerandom 16th May 19, 9:38 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 7,139 Thanks
    somerandom
    235- 255 - 20 x clothes to CS
    256 - top used as painting top
    257-9 - 3 x packs of OOD vitamins
    260-262 - 3 x sheets of corrugated plastic from old shed
    263 - full wheelie bin - green waste
    Originally posted by somerandom
    264. Old chrome bin - left outside to be taken
    265. Old boots
    A Clutter Free Life 2019
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 17th May 19, 12:16 AM
    • 1,564 Posts
    • 19,139 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Thursday was another gloriously sunny day so DH went out on the motorbike & got 7 Round Britain Rally landmarks DSis binge watched 3 weeks of Coronation Street & I binge watched the entire 2nd series of The Gifted. The greater spotted woodpecker visited the fat logs 3 times & I managed to get a couple of photos Also saw the bat for the 1st time this year. Dinner was fish, chips, peas & sweetcorn

1499 Empty beer can - Recycled
    1500 - 1501 Carrier bag of kitchen detritus, pair of DH’s socks - Binned

Well Done - somerandom; oceanspirit; whmf00001; never too old; Rootle; bit by bit (extremely generous ); Wednesday2000; tboo (clearing clothes ) -

See you tomorrow

MrsSD
    1501/2019
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 17th May 19, 8:43 AM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 12,582 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    Not been on here in a while, but will catch up, enjoying the weather while it's here.

Bet all you lovely ladies, didn't know you were all sitting on a lovely gold mine . . . and could all be certified

The Deal (From Groupon)

• £16 for a CPD certified home decluttering masterclass (84% off)
    The course includes:

• What clutter represents
    • Why it’s hard to let go of things
    • How clutter impedes on daily life
    • Minimalism and its benefits
    • How clutter plays a role in mental health
    • Different clutter personalities
    • Decluttering the house room by room
    • Keeping a clutter-free life
    • How decluttering can transform a life
    Last edited by A Frayed Knot; 17-05-2019 at 8:48 AM.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's
    Mortgage Free 21.12.18
    Just 11 Years 3 months early
    MFMarch 30 Re/M Oct 23 Target -Dec 19
    O/P's 2014/£4000, 2015/£6294.69, 2016/£3186.80, 2017 £4068.97

• Marpau
    • By Marpau 17th May 19, 10:17 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Marpau
    Thanks a frayed knot anyone want to sign up if I run a class? ������
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 17th May 19, 11:54 AM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 12,582 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    I'm looking for a class - How to get ££'s for your clutter, the quick and easy way. I wish.

Oh, and also a class on "How to get your MF Badge", which seems to be "missing" after all my hard work and to celebrate being MF
    Last edited by A Frayed Knot; 17-05-2019 at 11:58 AM.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's
    Mortgage Free 21.12.18
    Just 11 Years 3 months early
    MFMarch 30 Re/M Oct 23 Target -Dec 19
    O/P's 2014/£4000, 2015/£6294.69, 2016/£3186.80, 2017 £4068.97

• Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 17th May 19, 2:44 PM
    • 1,564 Posts
    • 19,139 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’

Friday is grey & overcast but no rain so far although the window cleaner has just been so I am now expecting a downpour. DH & I have just finished the hm soup with the lo spaghetti - very tasty & very filling. DH is filling the bird feeders & I am binge watching Marvel’s Runaways as I need to clear some space on my planner.

1502 Plastic bottle - Recycled
    1503 Old bra - Binned

I love it A Frayed Knot but I think too much information or too many ideas are crammed into those sort of classes & you never get enough time to process I think our way is better - plenty of hints & tips in black & white & can be referred to as & when required . Plus we are all teachers & students in the art of decluttering

See you all later

MrsSD
    1503/2019
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 17th May 19, 7:59 PM
    • 3,144 Posts
    • 10,736 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Filled up the paper bin again - tidying up office.
    Three paper clips - binned
    Batteries recycled at supermarket.

I am working my way down a rather nice glass of port tonight. My end of the working week drink
    £2 Savers Club 2019 no. 1. £260
    Save £12k in 2019 no.82
    2019 - A clutter free life
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 17th May 19, 9:34 PM
    • 1,564 Posts
    • 19,139 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1504 - 1505 Empty beer can, egg carton - Recycled
    1506 Plastic bag of kitchen detritus - Binned

Well Done on the decluttering Gem-gem The glass of port sounds good

MrsSD
    1506/2019
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th May 19, 9:58 AM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 17,566 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Filled up the paper bin again - tidying up office.
    Three paper clips - binned
    Batteries recycled at supermarket.
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    I am so glad I'm not the only one who counts paperclips in their decluttering total. I wonder what percentage of my actual space they take up? Slightly rusty ones are definitely allowed to go, though I put the nice ones in the desk - which adds up to a decreasing clutter in my head.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £1,038.40/2,880.00 Jan-April 2019. Decluttered in 2019: 665/2019 as of 20/05/19
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 18th May 19, 10:41 AM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 18,262 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello all
    Just popping by to wish everyone well as I'm decluttering myself and DH to Zumerzet for a couple of weeks .

Take care all and keep up the good work !
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 18th May 19, 11:07 AM
    • 969 Posts
    • 6,611 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    nannywindow - have a nice time!

Got rid of a cleaning block that was meant to be a paste haha. De scaled the kettle as well so thats done although think it may be time for a new one. It's getting a little rusty at the top and the tea doesn't always taste brilliant out of it.

C xx
    Read my diaryHere
    • savvy
    • By savvy 18th May 19, 4:25 PM
    • 30,102 Posts
    • 46,507 Thanks
    savvy
    Well no decluttering today, still sulking from falling over twice last week, panicking about the camp this weekend and taken delivery of my new roof box and bars that is taller than youngest son who is 6'! So housing that in the hallway as I can't open it and housing the huge box in the dog den in case I've bought a too big one
    Originally posted by savvy
    I think this was the last time I posted!! Oh my where does the time go? Hope everyone is well!

So I collected more injuries at the camp, so hand was out of action for a bit and no decluttering. Really been licking my wounds lately

BUT that huge 6' box got broken down into panels and picked up yesterday to be used in an arts session for a climate change event next week

I recycled a glut of useless business cards (really must write on the back who I met and why they gave me a card!!)

Decluttered not one but TWO dried up glue sticks whilst I was repurposing a broken picture frame into a vision board today. AND I've decluttered a volunteer role that was dragging me down and taking up a lot mental space - feel so much lighter now that I'm counting that as a 2

175/2019
    • savvy
    • By savvy 18th May 19, 4:35 PM
    • 30,102 Posts
    • 46,507 Thanks
    savvy
    Bet all you lovely ladies, didn't know you were all sitting on a lovely gold mine . . . and could all be certified

The Deal (From Groupon)
    • £16 for a CPD certified home decluttering masterclass (84% off)
    The course includes:
    • What clutter represents
    • Why it’s hard to let go of things
    • How clutter impedes on daily life
    • Minimalism and its benefits
    • How clutter plays a role in mental health
    • Different clutter personalities
    • Decluttering the house room by room
    • Keeping a clutter-free life
    • How decluttering can transform a life
    Originally posted by A Frayed Knot
    Oh wow, well if that's the case I'll run a course in how not to fall over
    The course includes:
    • What clattering to the deck represents
    • Why it’s hard to stay on your two feet
    • How falling over impedes on daily life
    • Balance and its benefits
    • How clattering to the ground plays a role in mental health
    • Different clattering positions
    • Clattering to the ground room by room
    • Keeping a clatter-free life
    • How declattering can transform a life
    And all for the bargain price of £8 with a free gift of a set of knee pads
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 18th May 19, 5:06 PM
    • 3,144 Posts
    • 10,736 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    [QUOTE=Mrs Salad Dodger;75823840]1504 - 1505 Empty beer can, egg carton - Recycled
    1506 Plastic bag of kitchen detritus - Binned

Well Done on the decluttering Gem-gem The glass of port sounds good

MrsSD
    1506/2019[/QUOTE

Yes, I am rather partial to a glass of sherry or port. We love visiting the port cellars in Porto, Portugal. I also enjoy a little dark chocolate with my port.

Decluttering helps to free my mind.
    When I am anxious / stressed all I can see everywhere is mess/ clutter.
    Where does all this paper come from?
    Decluttered more paper today.

Went out for lunch with a friend today. Went into two shops where they tried to give me a paper bag for my goods. I asked them (nicely) to unpack it again, I have a cotton bag to put them in. Two less paper bags to reuse/declutter. Other shops asked if I had a bag.

Received a code in Waitrose for a free 30 day trial - electronic Telegraph. I only usually get the paper either a) when I can get it free with my shopping b) I get it from my uncle - second hand.
    I am going to enjoy the NO paper version.

Hope you all
    Save £12k in 2019 no.82
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 18th May 19, 5:09 PM
    • 3,144 Posts
    • 10,736 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    I am so glad I'm not the only one who counts paperclips in their decluttering total. I wonder what percentage of my actual space they take up? Slightly rusty ones are definitely allowed to go, though I put the nice ones in the desk - which adds up to a decreasing clutter in my head.
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    I've stopped counting a total after 40 items. It does my head in trying to remember the number. I did manage it in 2017 but this year I gave up, but yes, every little paper clip helps.
    Save £12k in 2019 no.82
    • Deni debt-free dreamer
    • By Deni debt-free dreamer 18th May 19, 5:30 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    Deni debt-free dreamer
    Hi all, I don't seem very good at the small decluttering steps or maybe I just forget to record them...? Anyway DD1 has taken a large bag to the CS today; I recycled a large cupboard box yesterday after I bought a new kitchen bin last week and I have been shredding confidential paperwork as I have lots of old files of bank statements etc (before I went paperless
    Also took home large box of papers and card from work to put in my own recycling.
    Deni x
    Sealed pot challenge member #118

Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019 #96
    CC1 = £5393.72/5776.28 CC2 = £3624.00/£3820.77

£2 savers club 33
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 19th May 19, 2:38 AM
    • 1,564 Posts
    • 19,139 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger

Saturday was dry & warm but overcast, although the sun did try to come out Cleared another series from my planner DH watched Moto GP qualifying then filled bird feeders, watered garden & spray painted the weights for his balance scale. He also put in a new light pull in the cloakroom. Dinner was boiled potatoes, mixed veg & pork steaks with an hm salsa for DH & I.
    I recorded The Eurovision Song Contest - Fred is my new favourite singer - a member of the Norwegian entry There seems to have been a lot of people who liked Norway’s entry as they finished 5th. Mad*nna was a real disappointment - Nana Banana was a better song I do like my annual fix

1507 - 1513 Two drinks cans, empty beer can, cardboard box, 2 glass jars & metal lids, silver foil - Recycled
    1514 Bag of kitchen detritus - Binned

Hope you have a great time nannywindow

Well Done - chocolatelover93; savvy - I did laugh at the ‘course’ you offered ; Gem-gem, excellent work on refusing packaging -

Deni debt-free dreamer, I think you automatically take the small decluttering steps - you read & recycle newspapers/magazines, rinse & recycle milk cartons, rinse & recycle empty food tins etc, deal with your post, hang up coats etc. Lots of things you could count, as you are preventing clutter getting a hold in your home. Plus you are actually decluttering serious amounts of paperwork Are you working to a target or just to clearing cupboards, rooms etc ? Please do not get despondent seeing clear and/or tidy spaces/worktops etc is a good indicator of your decluttering success Well Done on the bag to CS

See you all later today

MrsSD
    1514/2019
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

402Posts Today

3,662Users online

Martin's Twitter