PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 - A Clutter Free Life

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 February 2019 at 1:18PM
    Thanks again for all the cheerleading Mrs Salad Dodger. :kisses:

The cobwebs, dust and dead flies _pale_ in my 'room of doom' has me wheezing. But the floor is not yet clear enough to set up the air purifier (jumbo HEPA filter).

Decluttering: One pile of health magazines to my doctor's surgery, one pile of fitness magazines to a nearby gym. Two heavy bagfuls of kitchenalia to the charity shop. One suitcase, paint rollers/ brushes, couple of storage trays to the dumpster (all old/ stained).

Recluttering: Sundry DIY/ craft/ indoor gardening items onto the recently cleared shelving in the 'room of doom'. Tiling and painting gubbins back into outside cupboard. So DIY projects are still in four locations (aiming for two). :o
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ^Hope you enjoyed your breakfast, parsniphead, and take care :)

Mrs Salad Dodger - that's true about "stuff". I just wish I could internalise that thought!!! I think it stems from my grandparents, and my mum, they always made me feel sad getting rid of said stuff...

The taking photos of it suggestion is an interesting one. I'm not sure if I'd like to look back on it... I do sometimes look back on old photos of stuff I've sold, and I can't say that I've ever wished I had kept it.

So, today I listed a few more dvds on ebay. I tried the different apps like Ziffit, musicmagpie, and they didn't want them. No harm listing them, before I eventually charity shop what's left!

Another of my downfalls - I'd rather sell something for 50p than bin or c/shop it! Hence the target of April to sell stuff.

Anyway enough of my rambling for today :) I'm going to go and clear up the kitchen/bedroom. I have an Occ Health appointment tomorrow and I'm so worried about it, so gonna try to keep my mind busy!

Our attitudes to stuff and why we get so emotionally attached to possessions totally fascinates me. I know it has become of interest to academics and I am really looking forward to seeing what comes out of their research. I come from a family where everyone is very emotional about stuff but never actually looks at the stuff! I have multiple relatives who have boxes of stuff that have been in their attic for 20-40 years. They haven't opened those boxes in all that time but if you suggest decluttering they claim that they love those items! If I loved something I feel I would have wanted to look at it in the last few decades! I do catch myself occasionally doing the same thing so I have to be vigilant.
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    ^Hope you enjoyed your breakfast, parsniphead, and take care :)

Mrs Salad Dodger - that's true about "stuff". I just wish I could internalise that thought!!! I think it stems from my grandparents, and my mum, they always made me feel sad getting rid of said stuff...

The taking photos of it suggestion is an interesting one. I'm not sure if I'd like to look back on it... I do sometimes look back on old photos of stuff I've sold, and I can't say that I've ever wished I had kept it.

So, today I listed a few more dvds on ebay. I tried the different apps like Ziffit, musicmagpie, and they didn't want them. No harm listing them, before I eventually charity shop what's left!

Another of my downfalls - I'd rather sell something for 50p than bin or c/shop it! Hence the target of April to sell stuff.

Anyway enough of my rambling for today :) I'm going to go and clear up the kitchen/bedroom. I have an Occ Health appointment tomorrow and I'm so worried about it, so gonna try to keep my mind busy!

Oh it was gorgeous completely lost. It was decluttered surprisingly very quickly. If only my house clutter was a full English.

I'm going to have five minutes with a cup of tea then have an hour or two sorting things out. I just need to motivate myself to get back in the sewing room. Oh my goodness, what a mess. I do need to get in the spare bedroom and tidy a bit so I can get in my wardrobe. I can't get to it at the moment so my clothes are on the floordrobe in there. :eek:

Firstly a slice of Angel cake.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Afternoon all

Unintentional declutter yesterday evening,broke 2 mugs :(
    Managed to use up one of my many spice jars so that has gone in the recycling.I feel that towels need to be next on my to do list.i seem to have so many.:rotfl:
    MAKE £2022 in 2022 no 29 £2022/£434.10
    Mortgage@ 1/1/2022 £17540 / £1601.39
    pay all your debts by xmas 2022 £15000/ £1865.29

https://www.facebook.com/groups/680889456637403
    you tube channel never too old
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    edited 14 February 2019 at 5:43PM
    We were going to give our walking gear it's first outing for this year, but neither the weather nor my legs would comply. Instead we did 2 tip trips, the first a load of wood ( remnants of part of the shed ) a baby bath and the inside plastic bit of a child's car seat. The second consisted of 6 part full tins of paint ( which have been languishing in another shed ) and the felt from the shed roof that we replaced last year :o.
    This afternoon DH has been tidying up the shed and there are now 2 more bags of assorted rubbish and part of the floor, both ready for another tip trip :j.
    Meanwhile I have been in the garden tidying up the fallen leaves and some wood and I have filled 2 green waste bins ready for the new collections to start. I am now knack ....... very tired and this evening I will definitely have a well deserved soak in a bubble bath :D
    Happy decluttering all !
    PS thank you to everyone for your posts and encouragement.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • Rootle
    Rootle Posts: 191 Forumite
    4/52 - 4 CDs and 5 DVDs to the charity shop

5/52 - a leaky cup to the bin and some chocolates to work (just the ones I don't like hee hee)
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    38. Bin of paper into the recycling bin
    39. Another parcel of books and DVDs sold. (I still have lots left).
    40. Shower gel container dropped of to L'occataine

Met a friend at Bluewater the other night managed not to bring any clutter in, except for a 50% discount bar of Hotel Chocolat which I have started to declutter.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • 281-297: 16 items sold, 71 euros in the travel pot
    298-299: 2 photos albums , bin

listed 25 items
    1st goal: 0/936 euros
    2nd goal: 0/15160 euros
  • 1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Thursday has been a glorious day :D - clear blue skies, sunshine all day & it was warm :T:T Although my DH & I don’t usually ‘do’ Valentine’s Day this year my DH gave me the most beautiful card :love: I opened it out & there was a 3D tree inside - getting all soppy it is the most beautiful card I have ever seen :happyhear & my lovely DH got it for me :kisses2:
    My F*tb*t is happy & our tummies are happy - Fish, chips & mixed vegetables for dinner.

256 - 259 Two newspapers & two magazines - read & recycled
    260 Crafting stuff added to CS bag

Cheerleading commences here

villagelife, Well Done on keeping up with the decluttering :T

parsniphead, hope you & your mum had a lovely breakfast :) We really must get you hooked on ‘To Do’ lists :rotfl: There is a great satisfaction in crossing things off :rotfl: Hope you are not too wiped out after your treatment. Angel cake - I am jealous :D

Completelylost, good luck with the bay of e sales :)

Happy Kitties, still keeping clutter moving out :T

never too old - are you SURE it was unintentional :rotfl: Good luck with the towels :D

nannywindows, Well Done on the Tip runs :T There is something really satisfying in taking stuff to the Tip :D

Rootle, nice to see you :D & still decluttering :T I did laugh at the tale of the chocolates :rotfl:

Gem-gem, decluttering stuff & cluttering pennies - Well Done :T More chocolate tales :D

chupachups4, more pennies into the travel pot :T I wish you swift sales at top prices :D

Fire Fox, I really like the emoji :D :T A goodly amount of decluttering :T I wish you every success in your plan to halve the space occupied by your DIY projects :D

Hermia, what a great post :T Our relationship to ‘stuff’ is fascinating but also really ‘annoying’ when it comes to trying to declutter :rotfl:

MrsSD
    260/2019
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • somerandom wrote: »
    178 - shoes
    179 - badge QUOTE]

Spent the last few days in a state of upheaval. DP visiting , toilet cistern broken - waiting for parts, DP kindly doing some decorating while I was working & DS preparing for school trip to US.

Been up since 2:45am to make sure that DS left the house in time for lift to airport !! Now can't sleep :eek:

180 - DS to US - :rotfl:
    181 - gift to DP for valentines (mine was edible so no clutter :)
    183 - old kitchen blinds
    184 - garden storage
    185 - outgrown DS trousers
    186 - outgrown DS jumper
    187 - shrunk pullover :(
    188 - Kipling monkey
    189 - OOD business cards
    190 - dead socks

(there's more but I can't find the list I was making - will add when I find it)
    Shifting my energy for 2020 :heart::heart::heart:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport