PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 3rd September 2018

Options
Valli
Valli Posts: 24,774 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 7 September 2018 at 7:20AM in Old style MoneySaving
What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don't stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
WUDUPA ~ washed up, dried up, put away
WUALTD ~ washed up and left to dry
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
MAD half hour
- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Monday Munchroom Mess - Kitchen and Dining Room

Level 1

Empty bin and wipe/wash it out
Clear sides (worktops) and wipe down
Wipe stuff as you put it back - kettle etc Don't forget the toaster crumb tray
Clear table; dust, wipe/polish - don't forget the legs
Clean whatever you sit on - and turn them over and look under the seat...told you! How icky does it get where fingers go and eyes don't see!
Dust skirting board

Level 2

Rinse out that cloth and wipe sockets and switches and door handles
Wipe down cupboard fronts and fascias - paying special attention to handles
Spring clean - pick a neglected drawer or cupboard, empty it and wipe it out.
Wipe window sills and clean the windows
Clean the blinds/vacuum curtains/dust rails
Clean out fridge and weave anything on its last legs into your mealplan
Wipe splashbacks/tiles

Level 3

Dust any dining room furniture
Wipe skirting boards
Sweep/mop/polish floor
bang doormats outside and replace
Clean filters - DW; WM; TD

Extras

Binbag Dance
HHI
S&S bathroom
check diary for the week - have you got all the cards you need?
Deal with a pile!
MAD half hour
Check all your smoke alarms are fully functional

Scrubby shiny Tuesday - restore your bathroom to pristine perfection

Level 1

Remove shower curtains and towels - wash that shower curtain or wipe that screen
Wipe down tiles and/or and cubicles
Scrub bath
Give shower heads a bath in lemon juice
Polish all brightwork (chrome bits - taps & hoses)
Clean shower tray
Slosh a good glug of bleach down drains/overflows

Level 2

Flush loo and spray bowl with cream cleaner and SCRUB - under the rim, below the waterline and all over the bowl.
Flush loo again
Wipe seat, lid and outside of loo - including where you can't see...
Slop some bleach all over the inside of the loo
With a clean cloth wipe switches, pull cord, door handles and loo roll holder
Rinse loo brush and dry it outside in the sun

Level 3

Scrub the sink = don't forget the underneath the plug!
Bleach the drain
Wipe the pedestal/cupboard over
Polish and mirrors, glass and your heated towel rail
Clean the floor - vacuum or mop
Put out fresh towels

Extras

HHI
S&S kitchen
Ring a friend and plan a get-together
MAD half hour
if the kids are back at school lay out uniform (or they can) and make sure PE kits are ready to go

Wednesday Wonders - the boudoir. You deserve a clean, tidy, restful bedroom - and you NEED it too, to re-energise

Level 1

Open windows w-i-d-e
Strip bed
Allow to air
Turn mattress if (a)necessary (b)you have assistance or (c) muscles
Remake bed

level 2
Clear floordrobe and chairdrobe
Clean windows
Vacuum, sweep or mop floor

Level 3
Dust all sides and shelves
With a just damp cloth wipe all your lotion and potion bottles, hairdryers (especially if you use product while blow drying) etc. and put all perfumes away in a drawer. Take it from a former lab. tech.
Polish mirrors

Extras
S&S kitchen
S&S bathroom
HHI
MAD half hour - hit that TOOTS list

Thursday - Living room loveliness

Level 1

Open the windows!
Empty any bins.
Sort through the magazine rack - and fling.
Give the cushions a good plumping.
Remove anything that doesn't live here.
With a damp cloth wipe remotes, light switches and the bit just above and below the door handles, where sticky fingers leave residues.

Level Two
Lift sofa cushions, swap around if you can and vacuum all those crevices
Dust everywhere - check for cobwebs!
Clean flies out of light fittings...I use an air can (as used for zapping dust in electronics

Level Three
Dust/wipe curtain tracks
Move all the furniture you can and vacuum and/or mop floor

Extras
S&S kitchen
S&S bathroom
Water parched plants

Friday Finale

High traffic areas

hallways, stairs, utilities, lobbies...mix it up

Beat any door mats
Clean any windows
Dust dusty spots
Move excess coats and shoes
Polish any mirrors
Wipe any sills
Wipe all light switches and door handles; make sure all lighting is fully functional
Sweep the door step
Wash OUTSIDE of front door
Polish door furniture
Sweep/mop/vacuum floors
Clear any gibble
Binbag fling...all that stuff you put down and left - can it go?
Put all junk mail in recycling - cut windows out of envelopes first - SHRED bits with personal information on first
Make sure plants are dust free and watered

Extras
HHI
S&S Kitchen
S&S bathroom
make sure everything is in its home...tidy is half the battle! Spend 10 minutes in each room just TIDYING/straightening/flinging
Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
"I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
:heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear

Comments

• Justforme
    Options
    After years away I can't wait to jump into a cleaning routine. Hope everyone is well x
    NST October #24.
    NSD 16/20
    £125/£150 Family Budget..
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    hi, good evening and thank you...

I'm not in but I'm still here and everyone is still alive!! go me... 3 more sleeps... the girls actually cheered.. I've written names in EVERYTHING..

My life is chaos, CHAOS and CHAOS... lol...

(for those who remember my teacher friends.. they are getting married next year.. S.Pike and Milligan... you may titter once again!!)
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many thanks for the lists. I'm in but trying a new tactic - I have printed off the whole list for last week and am going to cross off each thing from the list as I do it during the course of the week so may be little odds and ends of rooms as I come across them. Am hoping once kids back to school (S on Tuesday into Y7, Z on Wednesday into Y11) that things will get easier ..... we'll see!
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    Options
    I am in. Really busy week coming up at the work so I will do my best. Are you starting the new job tomorrow atb? Wishing you all the best if you are x

Just watching a bit of telly then bed. House is cleanish and tidyish and all the laundry is up to date so that's something.
  • Fayolle
    Fayolle Posts: 2,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Many thanks for the wonderful lists, last week and this. I'll be in again, but no doubt always running along behind. School is back on Wednesday. Year 11...eek! Where did that time go...*sigh*.

We've had a lovely day out today with friends, not looking forward to getting up and going to work tomorrow. The getting up bit, especially.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Evening all, I'll be lurking as usual. Busy work week, working away 4 out of the 5 days this week. My parents are coming to look after the Pickle as hubby is away for bits of the week too.

I've got myself into a reasonable place to start the week.

The dining room is clear and tidy and absent of Hubby's work stuff. (Let's not look in the hallway shall we? - job for tomorrow.)
    Washing is all done and mostly dry & put away, will finish off in the morning.
    Kitchen is tidy (ish!) although the baking stuff is strewn about and needs to be sorted in the morning.

Tomorrow I need to:
    Finish off the house stuff
    Fill the car up & get headlamp bulb fixed
    Pick up order from friend's house.
    Sort the baking for bake off, family & work colleagues
    Food & meal prep for the week
    Pack for going away
    Sort out work bags.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi girls...school starts on Wednesday - Tiny goes into Reception and Small into Year 3 :j At last! They're both at school :T

It's been a long and busy holiday break with lots of visitors, family and canine, stresses about money, renovation and my weight...

House is a tip. Fact. I am in this week. Also fact.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    INSET Day #1 in the morning. Ugh. Have to be in earlier than usual and then there will be vast amounts of ridiculous training (which generally consists of 'don't hit the kids and report it if you are told somebody is touching them or encouraging them to make bombs'), how to take a register and lots of 'can you make this wall look pretty, please?'),

Everything is tidied in the kitchen, the chicken stock has been made and put in the fridge, the bread is baked and I DON'T WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL.

Himself is in the pub by the river, watching a performance by somebody very famous. It's a secret thing, as they live nearby.

I have also toshed some hair colour on, as I looked positively washed out despite the nearest thing to a tan that my skin can handle - it's more that the bazillion freckles have spread than anything else. Still unsure of what the colour has come out like, as it's still wet, but there are patches that look as though it's taken where they're slightly drier than the rest.

If it's bad, I'll pop into the shops and get something to cover it tomorrow night. And if that goes wrong, I could always see whether there's a spare hijab I can borrow at the beauty salon where I get my eyebrows done :D.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Morning All,

Yes YL today is my first day, thank you for remembering xx I am beyond anxious. First "proper" day in the workplace in almost 5 years. My hair has been straightened and make up will be applied as soon as I've made my salad. I will report back later; I know first days are always the worst.

To add to the anxiety DS is poorly, so I have an extra layer of Mummy guilt to contend with when I drop him at my friend's this morning. Just hope he is better for the start of Reception tomorrow (which I will miss :( but DH is taking the day off to take him).

Everyone is still asleep so I don't want to clatter around unloading the DW; instead I have folded the TD laundry.

Right salad making awaits, have lovely days all xx
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ATB good luck.

I'm in, in my way...........
    WM is on
    Lunch made
    Kitchen done

Have a good week all.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles